Gortat Sad

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 11, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Gortat Disappointed That Magic Might Match Mavs' Offer Sheet Tim Povtak - Fanhouse

"he doesn't like what he's been hearing.

Gortat, a restricted free agent, was ecstatic earlier this week after signing an offer sheet worth $33 million over five years with the Dallas Mavericks, believing it was his ticket to both riches and a starting position in the NBA. Now he hears otherwise. Because he is a restricted free agent, the Magic can keep him just by matching the Mavericks' offer."

Gortat Disappointed That Magic Might Match Mavs' Offer Sheet -- NBA FanHouse

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dude should probably keep quiet.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I don't think it really matters what he says. Although, if I'm Orlando I'm not sure I want the guy on my team after that anyway.
  4. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

this guy has done NOTHING in the nba yet. granted, he hasnt had much opportunity yet. but he's basically a 25 year old 2nd year guy(lets not count his rookie season where he played 14 games including playoffs) who has had a handful of good games. he has scored just 340 points in the NBA. he's a 6'11 big white dude. he just got paid $33 mil. yeah he SHOULD be sad. this guy's gonna be a stiff. i'll give him maybe 2 solid 12 and 8 seasons tops.
  5. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

Gortat is a better player then it looks.Ok he didn't prove anything in a regular bases,but he looked great when he got the chance to play more time then 5-6min.He will only get better and he's only 25year old and his contract would end when he's 30.So we are talking about the age when players are at their best.He can be a regular double double,if he gets PT and the role.Yes he can't score,but in Mavs or Magic he doesn't need to.His main role would be defending,geting rebounds and make his presents felt.And that he did evan,if he played only 10-20min.
  6. BG*CV*STUCK

BG*CV*STUCK Second Round Draft Pick

Pistons should pry him away from the magic like they did ben wallace and hopefully marcin could average 15.6 rebound like wallace :D
  7. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

There is no drop off defensively when Gortat goes in the game and Dwight comes out...Orlando needs Gortat in order to come close to last season's success...

why is he talking about being unhappy? he has a new contract with Orlando to fulfill.
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The DeVos and that clown in Cleveland are the ultimate in ponzi ownership.
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

Gortat feelings hurt....

"Gortat, currently visiting Poland, averaged 3.8 points and 4.5 rebounds last season.

"He was extremely excited, and right now he's very, very disappointed," said Gortat's agent, Guy Zucker, who said they found out about the Magic's decision Monday afternoon.

The Mavs "had a tremendous amount of confidence in Marcin," Zucker said, adding the current disappointment wouldn't affect Gortat's play in Orlando.

"He has nothing against Orlando," Zucker said."

Post toasted: Dallas Mavericks' bid for Gortat foiled by Magic | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's only $22k per point scored. A steal.

Cuban's secret plan is revealed - if you can't beat them on the court, bankrupt them.

What are these people thinking? If revenues really do shrink next year things are going to get palpably ugly.
  13. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Gortat needs to count his blessings that the idiot Cuban offered him so much money.
  14. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Is it just me or do the cap rules work against a team that's under the cap? With all of these exceptions and rules the teams that need the least amount of help are able to sign pretty much any name they like (as long as they're willing to "sacrifice" and sign for 5.8 million) while a team like the Pistons who tried hard to get under the cap loses out on the exceptions limiting what they can do.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am loathe to go into detail on this, I tried to on my own little FA podcast, because I hate giving inaccurate info.

[​IMG]

Zone 1, above the tax. Every dollar above the tax level, costs an additional $1 paid to the other teams in the league. So to field a more expensive team, you must pay the other teams (in general operating revenue, not cap space) for the privilege. It is a bad place to be, because your costs have doubled. If you were above the tax, and you re-signed a player for $3 million a year, he is costing you $6 million.

If you are $1 UNDER the tax level, and you sign that player, you are paying $5,999,999 and you are missing out on tax monies to teams under the tax level, which is usually about $2 million or so.

So to sign that $3 million dollar player, could cost you nearly $8 million. That is the soft cap deterrent of the tax.

Zone 2. Capped out. You get all of the exceptions but cannot add more salary than that. You are still in the black (not paying tax) but you have limited options in FA.

Zone 3. You are under the cap. You still get all of your exceptions. So if your rookie contract exceptions, MLE and LLE etc add up with your current payroll to the cap level of greater, you are capped out. You can only spend your exceptions. If you are still under the cap level with all of your exceptions tacked on, teams typically renounce their exceptions so they can use the full amount to make one big deal, instead of being limited by the terms and amounts of the exceptions. This is an important point to understand. You don't get your exceptions when you pass over the cap. You get them no matter what. You have to renounce them when you are way under, in order to use all your cap space as you want. That prevents teams from double dipping, by spending up to the cap, then using their exceptions to add another $8 million in salary.

Zone 4, this is below the minimum salary level. There is a penalty (eludes me right now) if you have too low of a payroll. This is to keep teams from fielding 12 minimum contract players with a payroll of around $6 million dollars. The PA doesn't like that. ;)

This is all very rough, and in some cases, I made generalizations that are not 100% accurate or without exception. But it is good enough for most any fan to understand the basics of the overall structure and consequences of team payroll.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is very helpful.

I'd like to learn more about what happens if you get to zone 5. What are the penalties and might it still be worth doing for a year?
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Here is a photo of what Zone 5 looks like:

[​IMG]
  18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Orlando probably doesn't want him, but in Otis Smith's demented mind, if Dallas wanted him, he's going to keep him. He can let him walk for nothing or sign him, and trade him later for something.

Guarantee Otis starts shopping Gortat the moment he becomes eligible for a trade. And guarantee this signing bites Otis in the behind. 37 mil 5 years for a stiff center? And considering Orlando is in zone 1, it's costing them 74 mil over 5 years. Seriously, they are paying Gortat the same dough they are paying Dwight. That's just wrong.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

These people make zone 5 dollars...Their allowance..

[​IMG]
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that is my favorite post in history! Stern would definitely rig the lottery against us if we were zone fiving him all year long.