1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Grading Coach Michael Curry

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 31, 2009.

?

What Grade do you give Michael Curry so far this season?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2009.
  1. A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

1.5%
  5. B

4.5%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

6.1%
  8. C

19.7%
  9. C-

10.6%
  10. D

31.8%
  11. F

25.8%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You have to be registered and signed in to vote. Voting ends February 10th.

One vote per person, one person per vote.

All votes are public.

2. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Fail, He has done too many line-up changes.He seems lost, clueless ..cant figure what to play, what to do..
    If he is fired today, no other team in NBA would take him as a coach.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The only reason I did not give Curry and F was because of the trade. I am convinced that even if CB was not traded we would be having the same problems. Perhaps we might have 2 or 3 more wins, but we would still see Curry not having a clue.:confused:

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i said C+. while i think overall he has been just *average*, he got a raw deal with the trade. he's experimented, which is something i wanted to see this year. he's played the young guys. he's made a lot of in-game mistakes that have probably cost us a couple wins, but blaming him for all of our problems just makes for a convenient escapegoat to mask some of the deficiencies of our players.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

He's a rookie coach which is not his fault. I gave him a "C" but I think I was too generous. He's not Flip, so that's gotta be worth something even if he does wear uglier suits.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

I gave him a D, cutting him some slack cuz he's a rook and got thrown a major league curveball with the trade.

The team looks ill-prepared to start many games and stuggles to close out games it should win easily. It should have taken a maximum of 5 games for him to figure out that small ball is a situational tactic and not a useful game plan. His yo-yoing the young guys between starting and DNP's irritates me...I can't imagine how they feel...hard to build team cohesion or consistency like that. His timeouts appear to be nothing more than Gatorade breaks.

Dude's not ready for a primetime coaching gig now and I don't think he will ever be.

7. max

max All-Star

I was between a C- and a D - settled on a D which is failing. True about the trade but wasn't the trade supposed to be the thing that got us past Boston?

We don't have the talent that we used to but I feel that the coach is not getting the most out of the players. The small ball experment instead of taking advantage of a pretty good scorer in the 2nd unit cost us a few games. Another thing that bothers me is how Sheed and Dyess get a pass while he is so critical and intolerant of Amir, Maxiel and Kwame.

There has to be a better way. Besides all the things that he said he was going to do have not been done.

BTW - I would have gave Flip an overall grade of B.

8. Darth Tater

This is an interesting poll. Not many voters though.

Get out there and vote people! :drillsergeant::drillsergeant::drillsergeant:

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Should be an F but I gave him a D also due to the trade as the part of the problem is the AI chemistry which took to long to mesh.....are we there yet:nailbiting:

10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I gave him an F because I really don't think anyone could do any worse. I think if you put Mike Abdenour in charge, for example, he would probably simplify things and do a better job.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I gave him a B because he good.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I C my grade was one of the higher ones.

Despite a bunch of utter non-sense to this point - Curry has still done better than Flip in playing the youth.

What really matters is playoff preparation, and in that department, we have quite a few quality players ready to contribute if the playoffs were to start today.

Here is what we do not know. How will Curry do in the playoffs? For all we know, he will play the youth all season long, but then for the playoffs, start AI, Rip, Tay, Dyess, Sheed. And play them all 48 minutes. Which is pretty much what Flip did last season, although he only played the youth a lot toward the end of the season.

13. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A failing grade. Due to his obvious stubborn inconsistencies. Curry's reasoning is confusing. He probably confuses the players also. Joe took a gamble and lost big. He does not know the game like a coach is supposed to. Listening to him game after game is laughable because he is serious.

14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

F

Trade or no trade, he's been an utter failure of a head-coach so far.

15. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

F BABY!!!

If Chauncey was here, he and his cerebral touch would lead the army...but Curry can't even decide to bench AI or RIP.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Let's see. He's inconsistent and clueless during games. He may be playing the youth cause JOE told him to. He doesn't seem to have the respect of the players. This team will earn their failing grade during the playoffs. The talent level is much higher than the wins we'll see in the playoffs.

17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

We've been shown more about some of these players in the first half of the season than we learned in 3 years of gimmicks and misdirection nonsense.

I think Joe actually has a better idea of who does and doesn't cut the mustard than he has had since LB was making Smush Parker shed tears into his towel.

Taking the kind of win/loss record Flip would have been able to garner as HC, adjusting for the trade, and perhaps throwing in a loss or two in the name of "development" in order to arrive at a hypothetical A+ and then working my way back I give MC a B+.

Unless of course I want to pretend I can coach professional BBall. Then I imagine I could convince myself to slap Mike with an F, in any sense of the phrase.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I see. So your B+ is valid because you are not a professional coach, but the Fs are not valid because we are not professional coaches.

Interesting standard.

Here is how I calculated my F.

You take a coach who can't elucidate a single idea, then have a team that doesn't look ready to play, particularly on weekends. Then you under perform, with a fairly talented roster (Is Orlando or Atlanta really that much more talented and experienced?), and change your lineups, and reasoning for each lineups every few days.

Not to mention that you can't even keep track of how long you run each rotation out there for, claiming to have a standard you meet, when the facts show you're missing by a mile, then you tell us how you're going to deal with guys straight up, but play Sheed and TaS 40 MPG and bench the already benched Kwame Brown.

I mean, that one was truly the piece de la resistance for me. He officially benched a player, that was already on the bench. That's his answer to a loss.

"I am going to make changes. We're going to bench the 9th best player on the team. He's already on the bench, and I promoted him back as a situational starter just last week, promising this would be the rotation all season, but after 5 minutes of game time, changed my mind."

This all over a guy who he has been looking at for months. What does he do for an encore? Demote Alex Acker to inactive?

Don't get me started on calling timeouts to kill the flow, or subbing out players who are playing well together for a cold lineup in crunch time, then refusing to call timeouts until the game is completely lost.

He gets less out of a timeout than Flip Saunders (like that is even possible within the laws of physics).

19. Darth Tater

I really should have waited to vote. I said that I voted on the generous side, but I really need to change the "C" to a "D".

Hey, I did find a clip of Curry and his coaching staff teaching the team some offensive schemes.

YouTube - 3 Stooges teach the alphabet

20. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Me too. I give him a F now. No wait, I give him double F now.