Grading Coach Michael Curry

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 31, 2009.

?

What Grade do you give Michael Curry so far this season?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2009.
  1. A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

1.5%
  5. B

4.5%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

6.1%
  8. C

19.7%
  9. C-

10.6%
  10. D

31.8%
  11. F

25.8%
  1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I feel like we should use his 100 point grading scale (the one he touted and then abandoned).

Since nobody ever scored below 90 on his rating system, then I will give him a 91. Trust me, that's really bad.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So, what you are saying is, if you were coaching the team instead of Curry, the Pistons would be 47-0 right now?
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If Lee was 47-0, I would give him an A.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Could you truly grade him on the regular season, though? What about the playoffs? Pre-game warm-ups?
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We'd just be on the path for another boring ECF knockout. So, I'd lower it to a C. ECF is average for this team.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not smart enough to grade the playoffs or warmups.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

A little frame-by-frame analysis could change all that.
    Put some fresh batteries in your remote.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, but the curve is way less steep if you've been watching your favorite team play for a while. :couch2:

At least that's the impression I get from a lot of "casual internet fans".

Thee, I recall the KoolAid avatar. It was Cloud being sarcastic about the man-love for Curry that was going on before the season.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did anybody listen to MC's halftime interview yesterday? He basically said that the players will figure everything else out later. Right now, they just need to play harder.

There's no way any of us here could have come up with poignant analysis like that. Most of us, who have never been "in the game" have no idea what he was talking about. Judging by the follow up question, I think it might have had something to do with effort and giving more of it...? Don't hold me to it though. I coached a kindergarden after school league once, but we really didn't get into any advanced concepts like that. Most of it was about isolating the kids that peed their pants and trying to find the basketball.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

So I'm assuming that if you were to sit down with an eight year old and have a conversation about mathematics, you'd skip the addition and subtraction and go straight to calculus.

Michael Curry's ability to dumb things down for the benefit of his viewing demographic has no bearing on his intelligence.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If that kid was tuning in to a 3-hour show about math 82 times per year, then I'd assume he already had the addition and subtraction down.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

That's a faulty assumption.

You're talking about an organization that's always trying to broaden their fan base. The low end age demographic never changes, even though the eight year olds that were watching the NBA three years ago are now eleven. Your audience is still consistent of X amount of new fans, ages Y-Z and you don't hook them on basketball by talking over their heads.

Think Hubie Brown here, and the reason he gets on a lot of seasoned viewers' nerves. You don't honestly think that the baseline basics he's been repeating for decades is the extent of his knowledge do you? These guys understand who they're talking to when they're speaking to the camera, and as evidenced by the fact that I didn't exactly get a throng of individuals to respond to my bat-signal when I asked for a little in depth play diagramming, so should you.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So Curry dumbs it down on purpose to appeal to the NBA's new fans? And he does so more than other coaches because he's the only one who gets it? Wow, what a Stern lackey.

Your bat-sgnal when you asked for diagramming, and so should I?

Maybe I'm part of that general audience you're talking about, but I have no idea what that means.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He comes off as that much dumber than the rest because you think he is. You're talking about a guy that as a player memorized the playbook for every single position on the floor, including his own. He has a Master's Degree. He's taught seminars on business.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit...1-grading-coach-michael-curry.html#post182562
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thee, I recall the KoolAid avatar. It was Cloud being sarcastic about the man-love for Curry that was going on before the season. [Quote Coy]
    I think that makes it a double entrundra.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Enlighten me. What has he done this year that was smart? What "stuff" has really worked out well? Which other coaches has he outcoached? How many teams would be in line to hire him if we let him go?

If he was so good at memorizing plays, then why is he hoarding them all in his brain when the team could be implementing them? 2nd worst offense in the league with all these weapons... including the 3rd highest ppg player of all time behind MJ and Wilt? No excuse. MC needs to coach harder.
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If you don't know what he is running...

How on earth do you know what he isn't running?
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

The argument in favor of left lane freeway snails was far more compelling :tape:
  19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I tried to refer a friend of mine to that thread after she received a ticket for doing 5 over, but it didn't make her any happier. I even printed out the part about her being able to do 5-10 and being good, hoping she could use it to contest in court.

She kept saying something about the folk wisdom of lawbreakers being inadmissible in court. :noidea:

:)
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He said that he is letting Stuckey call 75% of the plays. So, by using that information, I know that there is a large fraction of the game where Curry is not running anything. The rest of the time, he's ruining everything.