Grading Joe's Offseason So Far

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jul 17, 2007.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Affalo, according to all the press, has tons of heart and desire. Great. He is still undersized for the 2, which means I can't see any possible way of him playing the 3. From what I've seen, 6'5" is a stretch, the guy is barely taller than CB.

Rip is 6'6", Delfino 6'7", and Tay 6'9". With Delfino gone, our only backup 3's are Rip and Super Dupe.

And here's my problem with Affalo, if he can't play the 3, he's only going to be competing with Stuckey for PT. So what was the point in drafting him? Unless Joe sees a Stuckey, Affalo, Rip combo as our future 2nd team backcourt.
  2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Forget the concept of a strict backup 3. From this point we have backup forwards (AJ & JM), who interchange responsibilities and cover each others backside. It is the inadaquate size, strength, athleticism of the opposing 3 who one must be concerned.
  3. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

Exactly! It was the difference between Darko and the rest of the top of his draft class... HEART.

Sure Darko may wake from his sleep at some point and perform, but you can't measure heart, and Joe saw what I saw in two seasons of final four competition from Affalo. He was only beaten by the eventual champion, and that counts for a lot.

I liked Delfino, and could have lived with his shooting if he was anything resembling a defensive lockdown guy. He played decent defense, but when he played the 2, he was blown by too easily, and when he played the 3, he was only marginally better.

To make that smell better, he needed to be a better shooter, and in his partial defense, he was never going to get the number of shots to get better. We need a shooter that can shoot even when they don't get the quantity of shots others need to produce.

I'll be real interested to see how he does in Toronto. He's going to be open a lot, so he is going to have to hit that open jumper.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Afflalo can play defense rest assured, a lot better than Delfino.

AA shootings will be fine within the Pistons system.

He can make his freee throws. - Delfino was terrible at the line.

He can run the break and finish at the rim - Delfino was horrible on the break and even worse finishing at the rim.

:hoops:
  5. buddahfan

Afflalo grew up in Compton CA, survived and got out just like Tay and Acker, who also happen to be from Compton, CA.

Afflalo is tough determined kid.

For those that don't know Compton, CA is as tough a community, about 95,000 total, as there is in America. You don't survive growing up in Compton and make a success of yourself without being tough, smart and determined.

AA will do just fine in a Pistons uniform.

6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

We'll see, he hasn't stopped any legit NBA players yet. He has the mindset, but can he keep up physically? That has always been the question with AA.

His shooting percentage was poor in the summer league (37%), where he got a wealth of shot attempts to get a rhythm. We'll see how it is when he gets 3-4 shots per game, mostly from the perimeter in limited minutes.

You're right. Worst 78.8% FT shooter of all time. (Tayshaun was 76.8% last year BTW)

Huh? Running the break was one of the few places Delfino was good at offensively. I will give you that he's a poor finisher, but he has been good in that regard outside of the NBA. What makes you think Afflalo will be able to finish around NBA-level bigs?

I've got high hopes for Afflalo (relatively), and I think he will fit better in the role he's given here than Delfino did, but you're getting a little carried away. He hasn't stepped foot in the NBA yet, and there are still questions about how his game will translate to the nba, yet you're saying things as if they're facts.
  7. buddahfan

Delfino's is a career 70% free throw shooter and before last year his career free throw shooting was a heck of a lot worse than 70%. Let us see what he does next year.

I am not sure where you get your information from that "can he keep up physically? That has always been the question with AA."

Where do you get the "always" from? It was never a problem when he played for the Bruins. If it was Holland would not have played him in crunch time. A lot of hoops fans only saw Afflalo play against the Gators in the NCAA final four.

Yes C. Brewer shut him down the first year and the refs took Afflalo out of this last year's game with horrible calls. He fouled out of that game. I think that is the only game he ever fouled out of in his time at UCLA and he was always the Bruin who guarded the best offensive player of their opponents.

A lot of his shots were rushed during the SL and remember he will do better when he plays within our system. Playing within a system is not the same as playing within a rhythm.

In any case one of us can buy the other a six pack at the end of the 2007-08 season. Until then it is all pure speculation.

Carlos Delfino - Toronto Raptors - Career Statistics - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

8. FreshPrince22

Well, being that last year he played the most consistent minutes in his career and it's the most recent, I would say it's a safe bet to say he'll be around 78% next year. Either way, not "horrible" as you call it. He improved in that area (as he did defensively) largely after his first couple years.
    There is a big difference in athleticism between the college level and the NBA level. Afflalo wasn't an above average athlete in college, and he will be below average in the NBA. And yes, being that I live in LA, I have followed him plenty. Many of my friends are big UCLA fans, so I ended up watching many of their games.

Speculation is the word here. I was merely commenting on your misconceptions of Delfino (poor FT shooter, bad on the break, etc), and assumptions, As if they were fact, of Afflalo. No one really knows how Afflalo will end up in the NBA.
  9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

FreshPrince, Delfino is a PISS poor ft shooter; akin to Big Ben! Always has been. Besides that, by your own admission he is a "poor finisher." Think about that. A poor finisher! Irregardless (I like that word) of how you interpret his stats, the cat was a worse finisher and worse shooter than LH in "real game" situations. By Far! And let's not even bring up B-ball IQ.

What get's me is we NEVER hear of Delfino seriously working on his game in the offseason. Anybody know what he's up to right now? He didn't work out with our guys over the summer. He ain't working out with Toronto guys is he? He ain't interested in learning the "tricks of the trade" and how to go about being "hungry." In short while here, he had no heart and didn't try to get one.

I had warmed up to Delfino. But Delfino never downright TOOK some PT at the 2. And that ain't ALL FlipSr's fault. If Delfino asked for a trade, good for him. Let's see whether playoff minded Toronto is a better fit.
  10. buddahfan

If I remember correctly you wanted the Pistons to draft Pruitt and were P.O.d when we took Afflalo.

You wouldn't happen to be one of those Los Angles, Bruin haters would you?

11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

In what reality is a 79% FT shooter poor? BTW, Delfino is playing on Argentina's team.
  12. FreshPrince22

Not a chance. I'm not a fan/hater of either of those teams (UCLA / USC). Personally, I would have preferred a guy like Derrick Byars (fits more naturally at the 3), or Tiago Splitter (quality bigs late in the first are tough to pass up). I just felt that Stuckey and Afflalo are both at their best at the SG spot which concerned me a bit. Pruitt was more of an option if we had taken Nick Young (who can't spot at PG), but I agree in not taking him after taking Stuckey.
  13. buddahfan

So you were looking for the Pistons to draft a #3 to replace Delfino's minutes at that position and even take some more minutes from Tay to reduce his minutes during the regular season.

JMax and AJ will take those minutes up front, especially now that we have resigned Dyess, so no need to worry about us having a backup for Tay.

I think we will see a lot better results from the backup for Tay this season than when Delfino was attempting it.

14. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree completly. With the signing of Dyess this will force Flips hand to use either Max or AJ to fill some of Tays minutes since they will need to find PT and Dyess will take a lot at the 4/5. Or, this signals that McCoskey was right and AJ will only be a "situational player."
  15. buddahfan

I believe that AJ, barring injury, will get more minutes this year than Dyess and JMax.

16. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If Flip start %%%%%footing around with not giving AJ & JMax significant minutes, Flip's a goner, guaransheed.

Joe D will accept no excuses. Let the micromanaging begin.
  17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If either JMax or Amir can play the 3, then Joe made the best out of a bad situation.

But I'm not holding my breath waiting for Flip to put Amir, JMax, and Sheed on the court at the same time. Or even Sheed, Dice, and either JMax or Amir.
  18. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

AJ + JMax = rejuvinated Dyess
  19. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Leave it to good ole "16" to see something that just ain't there. Delfino is a career 70% FT shooter and prolly a 40% FT shooter when the foul shots mean something. He's also a career 40% shooter, 32% 3pt shooter (i.e. terrible). He's also got more highlight missed dunks than any player in history. He's a "minus" in EVERY +/- category known to man; unlike Hunter.

BTW, Hunter's career FG% is slightly behind Delfino's at 39%. But Hunter has him beat in EVERY other statistical category, bar none.

BTW, Delfino ain't playing for the Argentinian team as we speak; he's fishing as usual. What you wanna bet he comes to Toronto's camp out of shape.....AGAIN.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Buddah, I find your praise of Afflalo quite hollow. I know full well that if Saunders decides not to play the guy, you will be all over this poor soul finding fault with him, and backing up the coach's decision not to play the guy. I and people like 16 will be the ones defending him, saying he should get a chance to play.