Greg Monroe selected #7 by the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 24, 2010.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just keep in mind that watching someone play can be misleading too.

If all you could do in baseball was watch, you'd likely not be able to accurately rank the hitters on your team from best to worst. You might not notice that Smyly has an unusually good level of success against righties when there are runners on base, etc.

In the D Rating stat, one way to get confidence in it is to look at who ranks highest and lowest on each team and see if it jives with your perception. Once you realize that it does, then you can use it as a tool to question the odd results or to gain insight into players on teams that you don't have a long history of eye witness scouting on.

On the Knicks, this stat ranks Sheed, then Kidd, then Kurt Thomas as the top 3 defenders and Anthony and Novak toward the end. On the Celtics, it has KG, then Pierce, then Rondo. On the Lakers, it is Howard, then Kobe and Meta with Nash toward the bottom. This is a per 100 stat, so it has nothing to do with playing time and it is defensive, so there is no usage bias.

In general though, big men rank higher on the rankings because they are big and they affect the game positively on the defensive end of the court. Usually, smaller players are added to the mix for offensive purposes and there is an optimization. Imagine a league where you have 5 guys on each end of the court and they could remain there. What would your ideal defensive team look like?

In summary, a big man can seem weak defensively but still be one of the most effective defenders on the team. Just to give a further example, Monroe might be in the right place at the right time defensively more often than another player, but Monroe may not be as effective once he's in that position to stop the shot. He might be better defensively overall, but there might be more times than the other guy where somebody scores right over him and he looks unathletic.

I don't think Monroe looks great on D when I watch him play either, except for steals, positioning, strength/ holding post position on D, and defensive rounding. But those are important things that maybe add up. If I saw that he ranked in the middle of the pack on DRAT, I'd conclude that he was giving it all away and more with his inability to block shots. But since he ranks at the top, I'm thinking that he probably does a lot of fundamental things well that we don't fully appreciate yet. In 2012, Monroe was right behind Ben Wallace in DRAT on the team, so this is 2 consecutive years that he rose the top of this stat.
    coynejeremy and Slippy like this.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for the detailed post TaS. That is very interesting that he's ranked that good defensively two years in a row. Maybe his defense is like his offense in that it is so soft & calmly performed that it looks unimpressive. I'll watch him a little more closely.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very interesting read here:

Monroe Rising | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The other variable that changed during that stretch was the lineup. Maybe more spacing now and more ability to get the ball to gm?
  5. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

6. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Does this season now hurt our chances of resigning Monroe? It's his 4th year of losing out of 4 and one wonders whether he wants a change of scenery regardless of any money we offer. Could be a win-win situation I think.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Silver Tongue's job is to write a good story. The more positives about the person or situations the better. There will always be a heavy bias on accentuating the positive and at the very worst, a sort of diffused fog that just needs some perceptions of seeing through the layers that are creating the issues.

I get the feeling that Monroe is not happy here. In a sense, who can blame him. Could this not be the hidden long reach behind the story? Of course Monroe will be reading it, which could be the whole point of it's directional influence.

Monroe will be signed. Either a S/T or just the absolute in matching his demand as the ultimate outcome to satisfy his agent. Depends on the greed of Falk and the psychological want of going to a particular team from Monroe's perspective. Also, the new GM might outright balk at creating more chaos to the starting line and settle for one major starting lineup change (excluding Monroe) and concentrate on major changes for the bench. Typically, it seems that most new GMs make major mistakes too quickly in order to prove to everyone (including himself) that I am in charge and not direction-less. This is one advantage that a particular GM orientation toward analytics might prove useful: getting a handle on the "sacred and profane".

There are a number of big "ifs". If the new GM wants him (probably named within days of the season ending). If the latter has a particular system (coach, player orientation, what holes can be fixed, patched or just uncomfortably ignored) and the search for a coach that meshes with the above. Another "if" also belongs on Monroe's side of the equation. He will have suitors. His agent will have preferences (and summer time lets everyone do some serious thinking); but if the agent gets too demanding, then he will compromise his client's desires (since he is no longer a teenager) and force the GM into an acceptance range of meeting current demands in loading the contract...or worse, "desperately seeking" a package deal. In other words, Falk might be forced into multiple scopes of expansion. And, in the real world, this limits his options, brings in variables you can't control and gives "rightful voices" that have been included.

Going to be an interesting "off-season".
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He doesn't strike me as a guy who cares about winning as long as he gets his numbers.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I dislike the notion of decent players on bad teams wanting to elsewhere because they are on a bad team. If the team is bad, a big part of it is your own fault. Yearning for greener pastures is understandable, but the feeling entitled to be on a better team because of being a good player is disingenuous.
    max likes this.
  10. max

max All-Star

It does not matter what Monroe wants as we can match any offer. Question is - do we want to.