Greg Monroe selected #7 by the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't hate this pick. I like his size but worry about his athleticism. I like what I've read about his skill. He should pass CV on the depth chart in about 15 minutes or so.

I must say I'm shocked that Joe chose sitting back and doing nothing over taking a big swing at something.

I would have liked Cousins just for the chance, but this could have been worse.

The worse thing about this pick is it says it will (probably) be a long long time before the Pistons are back. That was probably the case anyways.

2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Ernie, I have to say: "Thank you" because you are always making me laugh man :D
    :pound:

The First line is SO TRUE.

And the second is sad, but what were we hoping with a 7th pick??..

We All know that we were not coming back this year when the lottery balls bounces to philly. (or some may say, when Detroit won those last games)

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if this pick does not pan out and we are 10 and 30 after the first 40, then Coach Q should be fired mid season just for winning the last game of the last seaon...:):stirthepot:

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If we are 10-30, Joe should be fired for everything.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With the current state of the Pistons roster, I would be happy with 10-30. Joe D has much work to do....

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

One thing we can be excited about is the guy's passing ability. I mean how many black holes did we have on offense last year? Our PG, Stuckey, is not always pass first. Rip was in chucker mode all last season. Tay was always injured. Ben, Wilcox, Maxiel etc great at being a part of the clean up crew but they don't really create for themselves or others.

I would have hoped for Demarcus to drop to #7 but I can see Monroe becoming better than this guy because he sounds like a class act. Hey at least we finally have a new young big man to put our hopes in. Like Ben, Max, loved Sheed, and Dice. But now we don't have to always play 2 PF's at once.

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Saw some film on these guys--finally. I would rate Monroe as the third pick behind Wall and Cousins. The Pistons got lucky that the draft went 7 deep as the 8th pick had a drop off.

Still, the Pistons should have been drafting in the top five and gotten their guy, Cousins. So I have mixed feelings.

The re-build of what was one of the worst front lines in the NBA has started. Now it depends how Monroe, JJ and Daye develop and if CV can bring something to the table. Rip or Tay can be used in a three way trade as a center is desperately needed in the mix.

Joe needs to rebuild the front line. That is the priority. The Lakers had the best front line in the game last year. Kobe melted down in game seven but not that front line.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

For all the talk about us not tanking and getting a higher pick, I don't really mind it anymore. I'm glad the team had some sort of pride and finished strong. That sort of can carry over to the next season as well as game to game.

As good as Demarcus Cousins is I think Monroe can be just as good.

9. Brap

Brap Starter

What gives me hope about Monroe is what John Thompson, III said to Dumars about him. That he interrupted Joe to tell him that Monroe has a lot of heart.

His will and toughness were the absolute biggest Q's I had about him going into the draft. (Also his D).

If Thompson is correct about him, we've just added a legitimate and talented center. The idea that we've got a great passing big man who is 20 years old, and who is interested in making the right plays, is quite nice to think about. At 20 years old, he's got a lot of development to go. I hope Big Ben sticks around another year to mentor him, and expect Kandor to work some magic with him over the next few years as he develops.

On a team with scoring PG's like Stuckey and Bynum, we've added guys with great handle in Daye, JJ (he was a former PG until he grew all of a sudden) and now Monroe.

It will be very interesting to see how the team adapts. Monroe is a unique player to add to the mix, and Dumars has been quoted this evening as saying he's already talked to Kuester about altering the playbook and the offense's focus to take advantage of Monroe's skills.

I'd expect JJ and Daye and Gordon and Stuckey and Bynum - guys who cut hard to the basket - to really enjoy Monroe.

10. Brap

Brap Starter

Plus we've still got perhaps the best veteran to be available at the 2011 trade deadline in Tay.

11. Brap

Brap Starter

I think the Pistons lucked out. This was a 6 player draft and then a pretty big drop off, IMO. GS picked a guy after that drop off - and we got the 6th guy in the 7th slot.

I'm surprised that GS didn't go for Monroe. A great passing center like him should have fit into their fast paced offense way better than Udoh.

12. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

Like everyone I wanted Cousins,because at worst case he will be the guy who will bring you 15 points and 10 rebounds a game and Monroe at his best I don't think will reach 15 and 10.I wish I am wrong,but everyone trys to look at the positive side and don't look at the negative side.Besides his passing,he doesn't have much else in his game what is above average.He plays D but isn't great in that or even good.He plays in the perimeter,but again he's average there.I think he will be a good player and be the next Brad Miller,but the Pistons needed a guy like Cousins who could lift this franchise.I'm happy what we got at 7,but I hate Joe D that he even didn't try to get Cousins.Even the Wolfs GM went crazy when he try attempted to get another pick.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Agree to an extent. Cousins isn't a guaranteed double-double guy. Most likely? Yes, but the knock on him is that he has the potential to do that but might not perform. I think he'll be fine though.

I disagree with your frustrations with Joe though. Many sources reported that he was trying to trade up to get a top 5 pick. Its a hard thing to do.

14. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

At first I was surprised (and a little bummed) Udoh didn't end up in Detroit. I really liked Udoh's shot blocking potential. However, I can see him as being another Ratliff/Okafor type player. He could be prone to being pushed around by bigger bigs. Not Monroe. He's solid and very smart. He's not going to be a big time shot blocker, but he will use his intelligence to play excellent position defense I think, much like Laimbeer did. His height will allow him to play inside and I think he could be a big time contributer. Maybe 15-17 and 8-10 with 4-6 assists thrown in for good measure, but we'll see.

You can never underestimate the valuer of a player with a high IQ. He will find ways to be effective.

So overall, I think the pistons made a steal.

15. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

No one here can deny that.

Of Course Cousins would be better.. and John Wall would be better too.. and if we could trade for Dwight Howard instead of Al Jefferson would be GREATER than Trade for Cousins..

But there are things that cannot be done.

Don't believe every rumor you read!

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

disappointment over here too. All this talk about Cousins who COULD have turned this franchise around. But no, we had to win some meaningless games. And no, we didn't move any of the untradeables. Now we're still stuck with 3 SG's and have a C that looks pretty mediocre. No reason to believe that the team will be better next season and even if, we're still miles away from a ship.

17. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Joe has made a great pick at seven,he hasnĀ“t one top five pisition to select.
    Monroe is our future pistons starter center or power forward. If next year we are lottery team,we have flexibity to select the best player between this two positions.
    Monroe can improve his 66% in free throws training each year,he is only 20 years,to be eficient ofensive player.
    Has 246 of weigth and 6,11,valid and intelligent player who must grow as player here in detroit,having 20/30 minutes game.
    He is not Cousins,Wall or lebron but if pistons have patience is very good player,we need inteligence players,it would be nice to have Greg Monroe and marc gasol together next year when gasol finish contract in menphis.
    i, m happy with Joe decission,picking Monroe with 7,waiting to trade Prince to make another step forward in rebuilding.

18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Me Too Roscoe

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not happy with the Piston's roster, so I am not a Joe D. slappy...but how in the hell can some of you people come in here and say that he did Nothing to try to move up in the draft??? How in the hell do you KNOW that? Were you there?? Were you privy to some information that the rest of us weren't???

Nobody in the league wants to give us something good in return for our rubbish. There is a reason we sucked!!! Maybe that is Joe Dumards fault, and maybe he is an idiot and a lousy G.M., but I BELIEVE (I don't know for a fact) that he is working his tail off. He was that kind of guy on the court and I BELIEVE he is that kind of a G.M. off the court. :mmph:

Have a nice day

:hoops:

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Boom-shakalaka!!