Greg Monroe, the new Rodney Stuckey?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Perfect. So put him at the elbow and give him the ball with a little space between him and the guy guarding him. This fits the Pistons' needs to a T - Drummond down low and Singler/Knight on the wings - why is everyone treating this like it's rocket science?

Then what's the problem? Why do they need to reshuffle their deck? It's not like Monroe and Drummond are overlapping talents any more than Sheed and Ben were overlapping talents. They're young, they need to improve... so let them.
    Walter likes this.
  2. Laimbrane

I'm aware that that's the status quo, but it's asinine. Ben, Sheed, and Chauncey all peaked after year 3; Chauncey had his big jump in year 6, and Sheed and Ben jumped in their 5th seasons. If you want to win in this league you have to do things better than everyone else, and that includes sticking with a vision that you believe can work.

Let's put it this way - who do you think you could get in return that you can be reasonably certain will better do what Monroe does right now?
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Ben and Sheed did overlap. Sheed was a better man to man defender while Ben could play free safety. Sheed was an offensive threat from anywhere on the floor which allowed Ben to play close to the basket. Rasheed was a PF and Ben was a C. I don't see the same blending of skills with Monroe and Drummond.
    KGREG likes this.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The jumps you're noting happened becuase guys became starters.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

you guys realize what sort of talent your going to get in return.... Bynum and Monroe basically have the same salary. Thats what your going to get in return....

I bench player or a guy on a rookie contract that is only up for trade because the team doesn't want him, why would we want them.... show me a trade that we'd get value in return and the other team would actually be up for said trade.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When Greg Monroe becomes a starter, I think his game will really Blossom.
    copper likes this.
  7. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Sheed was pretty good coming outta college and the other guys got starting jobs and flourished...Gregs been starting for better than 2 and a half seasons.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Ben and sheed didnt overlap because Ben played in the paint and sheed floated and shot the ball from the outside and only posted up when necessary. Until Greg shows a willingness to shoot and make the shot? he and Drum are gonna occupy the same space. and thats a paradox
    basketbills likes this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Josh Smith.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, but we can sign him as an FA. Let's say we traded away Moose and Maxiell's expiring for Mr.Smith. What if he goes and signs elsewhere? I'm down with that swap if we can get Smith for a long term contract.
  11. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There are a lot of options I think with trading Monroe. With our Cap room, we can swing a lot of the deals that Toronto did to get Rudy, using Monroe + filler + cap space to take on a large non rookie contract that a team thinks they can no longer afford / keep said player. The key is finding a team that has a bona fide starter that is looking to bounce a la Dwight or the team is stuck in neutral a la Garnet when he was in Minnesota. Kevin Love has been grumbling. May be Minny swings a trade where they get Monroe and we take on Love and his near max contract. Josh Smith is another option. By having Monroe and the cap space, teams won't be as reluctant to give good assets away because they get a young guy in return, plus probably dump a bad contract on us. Just have to hit the phones.
    KGREG likes this.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That is the most ideal situation, and the one I hope for. I'm just hesitant in believing that it will actually materialize that way. I also have serious doubts about Monroe's ability to defend the PF position in today's NBA.
    copper likes this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Exactly, which is why they need to actually PLAY TOGETHER! We're 2/3's of the way through the season and we still have such a small sample size, it's absolutely ridiculous.
  14. Laimbrane

This may be the case, but even their per-36's improved significantly.
  15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Let's be very clear here. If Greg Monroe were to be magically put in this upcoming draft, he would probably go #1. There will be guys in this draft who are his age.

Here is my scouting report, found on this board, of Greg Monroe when the Pistons first drafted him-

"Greg Monroe- I have a condo in Georgetown and have spent most of the last two years living there. I've watched my fair share of G-Town games and I think I know his game pretty well. He's a deceptively athletic player with absolutely no ups. He's a one legged jumper. I'm not sure if he's got no ups because he is a one legged jumper, or if he's a one legged jumper because he has no ups. Probably the latter.

His strength offensively right now is the high post, where his passing skills and handle can come into play. He can get past a lot of bigs when he puts the ball on the floor. His low-post game is somewhat underdeveloped because of the system that he ran at G-town, but he has has a knack for playing there and seems to enjoy it. Look for his low-post game to steadily improve for a couple of reasons. One, he'll get stronger. He already has a strength advantage against most fours, which will only get more pronounced as he moves from the low 250s into the low 260s. At 260 or so, he should be able to hold his position down there against all but biggest NBA centers. The big guys he can take out to the perimeter or high-post. Two, his lack of explosiveness will require his continued development of his footwork. He's not going to jump over somebody and dunk from the low block. He's going to need to get position with his feet and butt. You can see that he knows this. He'll never be a low-post wizard, but he should become a solid option there. His passing skills have been widely discussed.

Defensively, he's very sound and should get better. He matches up very well with NBA fours, and should be fine against most NBA centers. The Dwight Howards, Kendrick Perkinses, and Andrew Bynums of the world will beat him up, but he can hang with most of them. He's a solid positional rebounder and has active hands. He'll never be a shot blocker or big time offensive rebounder due to his inability to play above the rim, but he should get some steals, tips, and the occasional block.

He's a very underrated transition player. He's an outstanding outlet passer and he can really run the floor.

I've compared Greg Monroe to Memhet Okur (Monroe is stronger, faster, and a better passer, less range), and have used the phrase "A bigger Chris Webber with a bum knee." I see Monroe as a possible 17-18 ppg 8-9 rpg 4-5 apg guy. A capable starter at either big spot on a championship team. He'll need to be paired with a shot blocker/offensive rebounder."
    - J-Train Jul 12, 2010

He is what I thought he was. He is a PF who can play some center. His natural game is between the mid-post and 20 feet. He has been asked to be a low post center for 2-3 years. He has also been asked to work on defending the low block. To his credit, he has done that. Nobody could have foreseen the Pistons landing a guy like Drummond. His natural game compliments Drummond's. He just needs to rediscover that mid-post to 20 foot game, which he HAS been doing the last month. In fact, I think that his low-post work will pay off in the long run, even if he's not asked to use it much. My guess is that he'll get a little lighter and quicker to suit his new role.

I'm not moving Monroe unless I get a legit, young, all-star in return. Josh Smith ain't that guy.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Like like like like like.
  17. Laimbrane

This post makes me very happy.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

By "less range", you mean 20 feet less range?
    kpaav and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Stuckey was scoring 25+ per game in college right now (which he would be doing), he might go pretty high in the draft as well.
  20. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I appreciate attempts at humor.

Greg Monroe can knock down a 20 footer whenever he wants to. He took one last night and made it. He routinely knocks down 20 footers. He just needs to take them more, which he will.