1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Greg Monroe

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blackhawk, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Unlike Cole Aldrich here is a player who fights to get open and frequently calls for the ball in the high-and low-post..Monroe has nice footwork with his back to the basket and is great at finishing with his left hand..His finishing ability in the post with his right hand has always been a problem for him. He lacks moves from his left shoulder..That said when he is forced to his left shoulder he becomes highly inefficient and thus turns the ball over or throws an inaccurate jump-hook. Catch-and-shoot and off-the-dribble mid-range and long jump shooting ability is terrible..no body control, doesn't square his body and lacks proper shooting mechanics. But again this was his first season as a go-to scorer playing behind DaJuan Summers his freshmen year.

Will immediately become an elite passer among big men in the NBA. He's a great passer from the high-/low-post and the perimeter finding slashers and shooters. His excellent passing ability says that he has great court-vision and feel for the game.

His defense is decent in the post against his man. On the perimeter he doesn't move his feet well and gets beat very frequently.

Lacks explosiveness, toughness and is athletically limited. That said, his passing ability and court vision along with some work can make him a very unique threat at 6'10.

For the Twitter followers: http://twitter.com/G_Monroe10

2. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

He seems soft to me.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He reminds me of Greg Ostertag. Because, his name is also Greg.

There, I just elevated my draft prospect analysis skills to the level of typical NBA analysts.

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

He reminds me of Greg Oden for the same reason and I'm afraid that he might be injury prone.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

6. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Given the limitations thought of the big men that will be around at 7, Greg Monroe might be solid. He isn't the best defensively, but he is far from an offensive liability (Amir), and he can probably come in and start playing. He also passes alot and given that we have a lot of scorers on the wings I think he will make them happy. I don't think next years starter will be coming out of this draft, but this guy can definitely make some of our pricier bench-warming big expendable immediately.

7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

alot of his problems (perceived imo) are from the system that georgetown runs... I like his game.

8. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I have seen some Gorgetown games last years and also 2008-09.. (Where Summers and Monroe were teammates)..

I think that he could be a very good player for us, he is only 19 years old, he can develop in the NBA, and I've read that Keith Langlois met him and he seems like a great guy.. lol..

He has a great court vision for a big man (kind of reminds me to Boris Diaw in that area).. and that could be something important to us, finding Ben Gordon, or CV open is very important!!!

I think that he could be picked 5th or 6th..

9. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

I like Monroe's passing skills. He had 12 assists in one game. I'm hoping that's an indication of a high basketball IQ. And I think taking a G-town center is a good bet, in general.

I'm also hoping he lasts until the 7th pick.

10. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Hollinger ranks Monroe number 4 according to his draft rater.

Cousins is ranked number one, and he also has been slipping alot because of his attitude and disposition. If he slips to 7 should we take him?

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bad attitude picks can end up being a complete waste, that is why Cousins is slipping. People are scared that his attitude is a problem that can't be overcome.

Do people really think his upside is worth the risk of completely wasting the pick? I don't know, it's an honest question for those who have followed him more closely.

12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

No question, without a doubt, without hesitation.

I like Monroe's game, I'm just not sure I like Monroe on the Pistons. One of the main reasons he's projected to the Jazz, he fits their ball movement style of play. I'm not sure if the Pistons will ever be that style of play. We're still signing offensive players and running one of the slowest paces in the league. I can't ever see him on the floor with Charlie G. He's incredibly skilled though. I still can't make my mind up on him.

13. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

There are some that think Cousins could be the best player in this draft. At 7, he's definitely worth the risk. There is no other player projected around that pick (should Cousins slip) that doesn't have questions. You might as well swing for the fences. Knock one out of the park, and we're a little closer to tying the game up. Strike out and we just have to wait another inning for our shot.

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I think what people need to realize is that the NBA puts up with a lot of bad attitudes if you can play, so for a guy who can play, but has "attitude" issues, these really must be some big, emphasis big, attitude issues. See Rodney White.

I don't know if Cousins is the next RW, but for his talent level, for attitude to even be an issue makes me think pass. He's more likely to be the next Eddie Curry than any kind of productive big.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think he is most like this guy.

[​IMG]

16. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hey Jay, went to a lot of Georgetown games. I agree with you about the offense, that's because Georgetown has always ran the Princeton Offense that goes back to JT1's era.

I would like to see what Monroe looks like when he is not in this constant motion offense.

It's almost like someone in college playing the 3-4 defense as opposed to 4-3. You would have to change his mindset. I think with good coaching he can adapt.

17. armygirl

According to folks around D.C., Monroe may not make it to #7. Monroe is a very high character guy, good work ethic and like someone said earlier, he is a big time passer for a center.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is Monroe really a center? I got the impression he was a 4 for some reason.

19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I haven't seen too much of this guy since I'm more into NBA than college ball but I like what I have read. If we get him or if Cousins drops to 7th I would be satisfied with this years draft.

20. armygirl

Played Center entire time at Georgetown, projected as Center for NBA, has all the skills, tools and upper body strength to play center. Unlike Dwight Howard, he actually can shoot mid range jumpers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.