1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Greg Monroe

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blackhawk, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

According to the last measures, Monroe and Cousins don't have much differences.. IF Cousins is not available, I'd pick Monroe. I think this kid can be something very important in the league.

With 6-11 (in shoes) should be able to play the C spot.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Monroe is a PF all day long. But the new NBA is really phasing out the tradidtional center, so if playing alongside JJ and AD, we could have a very long and very skilled frontcourt.

3. jslove1408

jslove1408 Second Round Draft Pick

O god I could only imagine him and CV on the floor together... I hope our defense involves hack a (fill in the blank).

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is that you, Joe? :heh:

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dwight Howard isn't even a traditional center. The position really has died.

If you gave Gasol's skills to Andrew Bynum, that would be an old school big man.

6. Brap

Brap Starter

Dwight Howard's a really unimpressive offensive center from a skills or technique perspective. But when he plays with super high energy, he's a man amongst boys in there. He was very dominant last night when he needed to be, and at both ends of the court.

Still, I think he's a very poor comparison to the great centers historically in this league.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I hope our defense involves hack a everyone.

8. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Joe doesn't seems very interested in the defense..

I mean, when you spend 80 millon dollars in 2 players who are known for their lack of defensive skills, you can't blame them.

It's like hoping Kwame to average 20 points and 12 rebounds per game in the NBA.

We are heading (like it or not, I don't btw) to a Run & GUN type of team.

Like Golden State this last years.

9. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Three Words to Describe How Greg Monroe Will Turn Out In The NBA:
    Legit NBA Player

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Nice find AG.

I guess this dude would be no softer than our resident baby-eater.

12. armygirl

LOL Walter.

13. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

I understand the whole "Princeton offense" argument that discounts Monroe's assist numbers, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

For example, Monroe had many more assists in the same offensive game plan that other Hoya big men had. Monroe registered twice as many apg as Roy Hibbert did his last year in school, and more assists than Jeff Green or DeJuan Summers, other Hoya big men now in the NBA.

While G-town's offensive game plan might have facilitated Monroe's assist numbers, it doesn't explain why Monroe was a better passer than many of G-town's other big men.

I think a better explaination is that Monroe is an exceptionally good passer, for a big man.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He's OK, I like him more than Aldrich and Favors but not quite as much as Ed Davis. While I don't want him, I wouldn't be mad if we got him.

15. armygirl

No argument from me on that one Murph. Did not mean to take away Monroe's natural passing ability. The Princeton offense enhanced his skills. I totally agree that Monroe is the best passing center to come around in a very long time.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Best passing PF! I'm just not fully sold on Monroe. When he first got to G'Town and I saw him play his first few games, and I saw the skill set he brought to the table, I said "WHOA! This guy is going to be a BEAST!" But he never turned into a beast, just a really GOOD player. If he couldn't raise his game to the next level to be a beast in college, what makes folks think he'll finally put it together and be GREAT at the NBA level?

I think Monroe is a complementary player who on the right team will do some great things, I don't think we are that team. That said he would have been a perfect fit on this team during the LB era! I think Sacramento grabs him at #5.

17. armygirl

Hey Greg, good morning to ya. You cannot deny that G'town grows darn good big men. If you look at Monroe's rebounding both offensive and defensive, they are among the tops in the NCAA. I don't think he is soft, not necessarily a beast but definitely not soft by a long shot.

Cousins got mad skills, but the guy will turn into a hot plate williams IMHO.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

AG, Monroe is not a G'town big man and you know it. JT2 molded great Big Men for the next level, JT3....not so much. Monroe is Big (actually he's just tall) and he went to G'Town, but that's where it ends.

I will say this, many folks didn't think that Jason Thompson would be as good as he is on this level- and he's turned out OK. I think Monroe can be as good if not better than Jason Thompson.......and that's not a bad thing. Again, I don't really want him, but I wouldn't be mad if we got him.

19. armygirl

Ok, OK KGreg. He is not your typical G'town big. How about this; he has the mold, the footwork and georgetown pedigree to become more atypical of traditional georgetown bigs ala Mourning, Ewing, Mutumbo. Monroe definitely possess more skils than O Harrington, Michael Sweetney and Hibbert.

20. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.