Grizzlies waive Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Nov 16, 2009.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

The guy sounds like he's been waiting Allen Iverson's whole career to write that column. Good on 'im. I'm sure there's a long line of other sports journalists behind him ready to do the same thing. But there are other people too. They are called fans. And a staggering amount of them bought AI's jersey over other jerseys, sent AI to the All-Star Game repeatedly for reasons only they know. So...let's hear it for the fans. Who will have mixed feelings about this news and will do their best not to read ugly columns like this one. These kind of pieces aren't journalism and they don't change anyone's minds...they just show that someone had an ax to grind and a place to do it. BIG DEAL. So Allen is going to retire. I'll miss watching him between the lines. I won't miss what an easy target he made himself and I won't miss watching people take shots.

Au revoir, Allen. I'm so glad I saw you play in Sacramento that last time.
  2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I dont think this retirement is going to stick. He will be picked up in February. He still has game, but his stubbornness is getting the best of him. That article was grandstanding and showboating. Journalism can be such junk.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yep AI will have that Bret Favre moment in February and will be at the all star game putting out feelers...we have not seen the last of him. with Delonte West having mood swings, he may be sitting on the Cavs bench at season end just hoping to get that elusive ring...
  4. max

max All-Star

Yes that was pretty bad. Maybe some kind of attempt at payback for that interview AI refused to give way back when or whatever. I was actually shocked at the insults in that article. Not a very mature or professional person who wrote that.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Call me crazy (I know, you do already), but I say we pick up AI for the minimum, and start him along side Stuckey. Him and Stuckey showed some good chemistry together last year.

This leaves Rip and Gordon for subs at guard. Not to mention Daye. And Bynum.

Here is the only thing AI has to agree to though to come back to this team, and to a coach he respects a lot in Kuester. He can't complain not one bit about sitting out entire 2nd quarters and a good 8 minutes of the 2nd half. In other words, let him know his minutes will be kept down. We have lots of guards who we should be playing minutes. (If they ever get healthy.)
  6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

You know Lee I have alot of fantasies about AI and some of them are even basketball fantasies, but in none of these scenarios have I ever gotten wild and crazy and out there enough to consider introducing to AI such outlandish and fringe concepts as "reduced minutes" "guard rotations" or "sitting out". You're a real idealist!

The only thing I like about this idea is that my very expensive authentic jersey would be "active" again. That's it. I like it even less with the return of Rip and Tay. Perish the thought. The AI Experiment 2.0?

However, he was helping my fantasy team in the area of points and assists.Those were the only areas, but he was passing the ball to the other guards which our guys aren't presently excelling at.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I thought the article was very good, except for this ending...
    He didn't need to put this stuff in.

"For Allen Iverson, nothing came next. Just huge strides toward irrelevance and, frankly, embarrassment. It might not be over. For all we know, this could just be a temporary hissy fit, pitched to the point of filing retirement papers just because no team with a starting gig wants to know. He could be back next season. He could be back in February. We don't know. What we do know is that this is a shame. For a man with his talent, his vision, his will, and his heart; to go out like this? To never, really, "get it?" It's a shame.
    And, saddest of all, it's typical A.I."
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Aurora, given all your love for AI, your decision to drop him from your fantasy team before he actually retired was straight up cold blooded. You probably have GM potential!
  9. max

max All-Star

I have a feeling that Orlando will eventually pick him up. They have to try something if they hope to beat a healthy C's team.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What makes anyone think that AI has even touched a basketball since he left the Grizzlies?
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Here is a pretty good look at why AI retired.

Is this Allen Iverson's final answer? - ESPN
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm going to go against the grain here, and despite my better judgment, weigh in.

I didn't have a problem with the piece. He's a blogger not a journalist. His opinion is somewhere between the better and worse posts on PF.com.

I don't think now is the time to throw roses at AI. In the long run, his legacy will be pretty positive, but to reward how the last two years went down, that doesn't sit right with me. I was on the bandwagon until he quit on the Pistons. And he did quit. When a 35 year old Rasheed Wallace is putting in more effort than you to get to practice, you're really not carrying your share of the load.

There is no point in crying over spilled milk, but this is how AI chose to end it. I'm not going to pretend it is something it is not. He signed a contract, he made a commitment to his fans, and the fans in Memphis who ponied up ticket money to support him in a bad economy, and he bailed.

No man is a galaxy unto himself.
  13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

For sure. And anyone who has ever held any job has had to deal with how interactions with other people affect the success or failure of his/her job.

I just read a fascinating Sports Illustrated cover article from 2001 called Mama's Boys about Allen Iverson and Larry Brown. The link is at the bottom of this post. It seems that most of Allen Iverson's personality and character was formed by his extreme poverty and that he was considered at a young age to be the "reward" for all the pain and deprivation that his single mom and his entire huge extremely poor extended family had lived through. On his being drafted #1 he said to all of them "Where I go, everyone goes. When I eat, everyone eats."

So Allen was a galaxy unto himself and his entourage, and that seems to be where it ended: His family, his friends, the people he had before he became AI. No one else was to be trusted, especially not coaches and organizations who were only trying to "mess up your game" and stop you from "keeping it real."

Larry Brown felt like he was up against an army that was against him when he was trying to coach AI and they thought he was the enemy. It's a long article about a fatherless boy whose mom pushed him out in the streets to make him tougher after he came home already beat up, and really about a man who seems to never have matured because he was the meal ticket for hundreds of people who he supported financially and therefore was the daddy of the whole family. Fascinating stuff. God knows how much money he has after doing that all these years and his own lavish lifestyle. He probably still needs an NBA gig.

Two fiercely competitive small men in a big man's game, - 04.23.01 - SI Vault
  14. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Interesting comments by Mashburn and Rose on ESPN

Don't think he comes back, not to "steal" a title anyway
  15. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

She's not that cold. She reacquired him Nov 23 :D
  18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I just had to. Ball Don't Lie was threatening to take him on waivers if the Knicks took him and it occurred to me for the first time since Rax threatened to draft him that someone in Novice might take him just to "break the Smooth Criminals spirit" as Ball Don't Lie put it. I couldn't allow that to happen.

Now that Allen's retirement is apparently official, we will review his status. It's very likely we will keep him on our bench for some time to come, as we like looking at him on our roster whether he is active or not. He classes the place up. :)
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He'll be back. The reason he got into this mess is because he wants to play basketball.
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Maybe he'll be more open to a bench spot after he spends a few months home with the wife and kids...?