1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Hall Of Fame - Which Pistons Belong?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 1, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

This thread is about our ex-Pistons from years gone by, but let's start with the best dressed bride of the bunch, Dennis Rodman.

Will the Worm get the hook?

Technically the Worms last year in the NBA was the 99/00 season with Dallas. The HOF rule is that the player “must be fully retired for five years before being eligible for Enshrinement”. He can be considered for Enshrinement in the sixth year of retirement, or in Rodman’s case, next year.

Then the nomination process begins. “A Nomination Packet consists of a completed nomination form procured from the BHOF, and news clippings, magazine articles or other informative, factual data about the candidate,” (This is where Rodmans wedding dress fiasco may cause the envelop to be re-sealed).

The "packet" then lands on the desk of the BHOF President, John L. Doleva. Doleva then passes the material through a crack in the wall behind his desk where it lands in a stall of the mens room occupied by the “Screening Committee.”

The “Screening Committee”, is seven folk sucking down java while telling lies about their last fishing trip to Canada. For Rodman to get past this nefarious group, five out’a the seven have to give him a :thumb: . That’s when he lands in the lap of the Honors Committee. The “Honors Committee” is like the Supreme Court of the NBA. It’s loaded with 24 individuals who get to decide on Rodmans place in history. He has to get 18 up votes to be Enshrined.

Rodmans run, the cat picked 27th by Detroit back in 1986 was the most tireless blue collar player of his era. An actual human piston. He finished his career with 5 NBA Championship rings, more than any other Piston in the history of the franchise. He made the all-defensive first team 7 times and the all defensive second team once. He was twice on the all NBA 3rd team. Twice he was voted Defensive Player of the Year. He was an All-Star twice. His board work (13.1 lifetime average) makes him the all time NBA leader with 7 consecutive rebounding titles. His scoring average was just over 7 ppg.

Was he just a great role player, in the right place at the right time? How does his capacity of worming his way into the opposing teams psyche get graded? Who can he best be compared to that is either in or out of the BHOF? Is this guy a HOF guy?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rodman screwed himself by creating a negative and very public image. Based on accomplishments, he deserves to be in.

But perception is such a big deal in these post career awards. Short of a complete lifestyle, religion and personality change, I can't see Worm being inducted while alive. Those stuffed shirts would be terrified to have him at the ceremony.

How about Ben Wallace? Wouldn't he be second to Rodman as a "Human Piston"?

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Rodman was (or should I say is) a unique, albeit one dimensional player. There are role players who have won a bunch of rings like Steve Kerr and Robert Horry, but those guys are minimal contributors compared to Rodman. They didn't lead the League in Rebounds or win any defensive POY awards...they just helped out. Rodman on the other hand was a dominant force, a game changer, a series changer...definitely more than a role player and deserving of a HOF spot.

I can't make any comparisons to someone already in the HOF....check out this guy though...I'm pretty sure I could take him one on one.

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Steinmetz.htm

4. G-man

G-man Starter

I hear ya Micro. But the freakshow was a sideshow.

After the parking lot incident with the squirrel gun, he was painted loco. When he hit Chicago the pundits said he'd destroy the Bulls. That horrible incident only ended after they’d shelved three titles. Yikes “the horror, the horror”.

I don’t know how they can goose step past the best rebounder in the history of the NBA. Pound for pound at 6’7, 228 he was like nothing before and probably nothing after. This guy, who never played high school ball led the league in rebounds seven straight times after he turned 30!

Will his harmless personal exploits outweigh his impact on the game? Or was his game so dominant, his capacity as a teammate and floor leader so intrinsic to those teams with their rings, that he should “pass go and collect the $200” the first time up?

I say, Dennis Rodman, “Come on down!”

5. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Rodman no doubt gets my vote all day everyday G-man... He's got the Ships, a couple of DPOY trophies, All star game appearances, rebounding titles, etc... What more can you really say? He likely won't make it on the first ballot he's selected to, but he deserves to eventually get in.

6. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

If the HOF committee only looks at Dennis Rodman the NBA player then it would be a no-brainer, he would be a shoe in first ballot inductee.

But with them taking into account off the court/field actions as well, as all sports do, I really don't think he'll make the cut.

It's a total crock too, in The Worm's case, because he deserves to be in there. There has never been a player in the league that brought to the table what he did, with all things considered. I would think Big Ben would be the closest thing to Rodman, as many say. Truth be told, as dominate as Ben plays I can't really say that he was as good as the Worm was.

Well, the bright side for Dennis is at least he'll always have fuzzy memories of Carmen E. as a consolation prize.

So it ain't all bad! :eyebrows:

7. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

Dennis used to score more when he played for Detroit too. I think he deserves to be in, but I doubt he gets in because of his silly antics. Too bad he felt he needed all that extraneous crap. Why wasn't basketball enough?

8. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Not that this is an accurate indicator of anything, but the Video Games that I have played don't seem to make any mention of Rodman, like on the All 90's team.
    But I guess there was some pretty stiff competition... Kemp, Malone... I think that is pretty much the two that they always throw in there instead.
    In reality, he did set records in rebounding, and played very smartly with a ton of intensity.
    Should his strange personal life interfere? Personally I say no, but I doubt it will be seen that way.

9. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

BHOF is a JOKE!!!!!!!

I have no respect for the Basketball HOF! They talk about the importance of ethics and morals and then Joe Dumars doesn't get in on first ballot. Not only does he deserve to get in because of his skills (See ESPN Most Underrated Players story) but he is everything that is good in the game. He puts the "R" in role model and you don't vote him in. They also rejected the best non-piston player D. Wilkins. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

10. G-man

G-man Starter

Hear ya Pastor (and welcome aboard).

Dumars, two NBA Championships, the 6 time all-star was named to the all-defensive first team 4 times,and the all-defensive second team once. Named to the All-NBA 2nd team once and All-NBA 3rd team once. Won a Gold Medal as a team captain in the Toronto Olympics in ’94. MVP of the ’89 Finals. Was on the All-Rookie team in ’85.

Those are strong stats, honestly, not as strong as some, but stronger than others. But the real clincher that should’ve put Dumars over the top in his first run through the committees is this;

After he won the Walter J. Kennedy Citizenship in 93/94, the NBA gave him the first ever NBA Sportsmanship Award in ’96. That award was all about his being the perfect role model, in the NBA brass eyes, to represent B-ball. In that era, when a number of legends were still on the floor (even if in their twilight years), Dumars was separated from the mass and given the award. (I’m not going into his personal civic involvement, the Fieldhouses etc.)

If all the Hall does is boil it down to the 16,401 pts, 4,612 assists and 902 steals, the stats, that creates a legitimate argument from a comparables standpoint. But it also indicates that Rodman should then blow through the process on his first run, cause his 'stats' are undeniable.
    But if the "image stuff", the “right stuff” is used to delay Rodmans entry, then Dumars should’ve blown through on his first run last summer. Ya can’t have it both ways.