Harrington felt betrayed

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Zander, May 14, 2006.

1. Zander

Zander First Round Draft Pick

Lions | Harrington felt betrayed by Bly's comments

Mitch Albom, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Miami Dolphins QB Joey Harrington said he felt betrayed by Detroit Lions CB Dre' Bly when he publicly criticized him when he was the Lions for the 2005 season. Harrington said, "I felt betrayed. I felt absolutely and completely betrayed. I had done nothing but work for that team. Yeah, I didn't play well all the time, but nobody on that team did. ... I think the thing that hurt the most was that nobody stood up for me. Nobody. Not publicly. Not privately. There were some people after the fact - a couple days removed, a week removed - who said something, very few, but none at the moment when it really would have counted."
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well boo-frickin hoo. no one's going to stand up for a loser, which harrington was in detroit.
  3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Not taking up for Harrington at all, but the whole orginization is losers!
  4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

You got that right brother!:fingerscr Maybe Macarroni can turn the attitude around if not he'll have another greivance to deal with.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't blame Harrington at all. Would YOU want to play on a team that 1. Sucked really bad
    2. players quit on you
    3. the fans blamed you for everything.
    4. your "teammates" threw you under the bus

Sure Joey sucked, and yes you could have done a better job of sticking up for himself instead of always taking the high road. But in my opinion, at the end, thats exactly what he did.

He gave it a shot by coming to the QB school, but realised that it just wasn't going to work so he asked for a trade. He reportedly told Millen that he hated everyone on the team and everyone hated him.

Then, as a parting FU to the team, he said "Oh, by the way, I'm only going to play for Miami" which completely killed any remaining trade value he might have held.

And now that he's out of the city, he feels free to express his true feelings of betrayal.

Whats wrong with that?

I don't have a problem with the way Joey handled anything over the past 4 years. True, I'm mad as a Lions fan that he screwed our opportunity for compensation, but the Lions organization deserves everything they get for being the most incompetent, poorly run team in pro sports.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Right on Jammer! :nod:
  7. jammertime

And just for the record, I'm not related to Joey Harrington. I've never been to Oregon, I barely watch college football and I had never even heard of him before the draft. I have no ties to Harrington in any way.

As the QB for the Lions he frustrated me at times, and at times flashed just enough potential to keep me hopeful. I just think that he was treated very poorly and unprofessionally by the majority of the media, "fans", the organization and his "teammates".

If he didn't try or care, that would be one thing. But he gave it his all on every play, he always spoke to the media no matter how poorly he and/or the team performed and no matter how poorly the media treated him. He volunteered his time to the community, which for the most part, crucified him. He tried to motivate his teammates that hated him. And all he ever got in return was another knife in the back.

I think that him leaving Detroit is the best thing for everyone involved.

And that's the last I'll say about that.
  8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Ya and I don't care that he "screwed"the Lions with the compensation pick by saying he would only goto Miami.The Lions deserve it for screwing the fans all these years.I usually have some hope for the season but I don't this year.Now it's show me then I'll believe.Did I fall off the bandwagon?Yes but the Fords drove it into the ground years ago.We all deserve a pass to jump back on when they put the wheels back on.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Joel was sensitive. But he should have been distainfully sensitive about all the 3rd downs he didn't convert.
    Most people thought Bly was correct that's why only minimal mud was thrown on him.
    No win situation. But at least Bly came out of the lockerroom and answered a couple of tough questions.
  10. jammertime

I'm not one of them. You don't call out your teammate in the media. You do it behind closed doors.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Disagree.
    The coach was fired midstream. The q was asked outside. Is there no sack on this team? F' Joel!
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree with all of this. I was never sold on the guy but he never had much of an offensive line or much dedication from his receivers. Frankly, I don't know if the guy is any good or not. I wonder how he would have done during the Herman Moore years. I hope the guy does well wherever he goes because I think he's a class act. So what if he plays the piano? Hey, he probably scores big with the chicks and let's face it, that's more important than succeeding on the football field. I thought it was incredibly unfair and unprofessional what that fat piece of isht Tony Siragusa said about him.

Should be an interesting season with Marinelli and Martz at the helm. I think Marinelli will stress defense and that is the quickest way into the playoffs. Ask the Chicago Bears.
  13. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Here's the link to the story.

There is a line of professionalism that was crossed by Bly. Now, those lines are blurred because we have so many selfish, arrogant, and ignorant athletes. But, tell me:

If you had a problem about the way a co-worker was performing would you:

A: Discuss it with them and/or management?

or

B: Stand on your chair in the middle of the cafeteria at lunch time, and state your concerns?

See, there is a lack of class on Bly's part that bothers me. A good old boy, giving the coach the secret hand shake, I'm better than he is attitude that really bothers me. If you're better than he is, if you're the consummate pro, then handle it like a pro.

Which reminds me, in 2005:
    In tackles by a CB, Dre Bly ranked 3rd on the Lions.
    In assists by a CB, Dre Bly ranked 3rd on the Lions.
    But somehow he managed to rank 1st in INT's.

Hmmm. "Playing for myself."
    Showboating?
    Ignoring the fundamentals in favor of the glamor?
    What a POS.

Funny, I don't remember Harrington publicly saying one bad thing about a team mate.

Why? Because he was a class act.

Because he's smart enough to know better.

Did he have bad games? Yeah, he says that in the article.

Did he need Dre Bly to publicly point it out? Not at all.

Did Bly's comments do anything positive? No.

Then why didn't he keep his stupid mouth shut? Because he's an idiot.
  14. jammertime

:thumb: :amen: :grouphug: :whoo: :hail:

....and I agree 100%
  15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think Bly's days will be numbered under the Marinelli Regime he if pulls any more of that crap. The guy has talent but it is masked by his mouth.
  16. jammertime

Yup. He's a me first player with a team first coach.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

CBs are on an island. Their only hope is to make a big play because the rules are set up for passing and catching.
    I don't remember how hard the team came down on Bly but it seemed minor.
    ...And he was right, as it is Joel leaving not Bly. I would recommend Bly keep his mouth shut from here on out.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It goes both ways. With JH out of the picture, the microscope will be on Bly to produce.
  19. jammertime

Yeah, or a magnifying glass.... with the sun as a backdrop.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator