Harrington

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MainManJoeD, Aug 10, 2006.

1. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

With Harrington back on the block, why not reconsider Delfino/ Davis (expiring contract) and next year's first for Harrington ST. This can't possibly be worse than what the Pacers offered them (a first and cash, I believe). This would immediately make our front-court top notch again, and Harrington is young, could replace McDyess going forward. Why is Joe not persuing this? It looks like Atlanta is just about ready to give him away. What am I missing.

Also is there anything else we could throw in to sweeten the deal?
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hopefully Joe D is persuing it and we just don't know it yet. I'm sure he has's inquired at the very least.

Maybe a case of left over Big Ben bobbleheads? Or some thunderstix? Or dare I say it... a case of each?
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The impression I get, is that Joe thinks the Championship window is closed, and the only way I will believe otherwise is if he makes a move for Bonzi/Harrington or pulls some magic at the trade deadline.

The last time he made an aggressive move in FA/Trade/Draft we won a title. Since then, it has been a lot of "don't rock the boat" moves.

It might be time to re-tool.

We have potentially FOUR players coming in next year. Our first rounder, the Magic first rounder, our second rounder and the Minnesota second rounder.

MMJD, you might be missing Maxiell and Johnson. One of them will be playing PF if they are both on the team next season. Also, Davis is our backup Center and only player with Taser experience AFAIK. McDyess will probably take (or earn) his option to return for one more year @ around $6 million.
  4. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

You can't get Harrington unless you include Dice (because of salary). No way Harrington takes less than 7-8 million a year to start.

Personally, that'd be fine because we'd be getting younger, but the trade would likely be Dice, Dale Davis, and a pick. Is that too much? Maybe. Harrington isn't a great player. He's a good scorer (inside and out) who doesn't defend well, rebound particularly much, or do anything else exceptionally. As for Dumars, he seems to believe that Nazr and Flip fix what was wrong with this team last year (I disagree completely, but that's just me isn't it?) and doesn't see a need to make another move at this time.

And if we're expecting Maxiell to step up then we're screwed bigtime. Forgetting that we're horrible with integrating draft picks for a second, Max was a late first rounder that was viewed by many as a reach even at the time. He doesn't have a position or the skills necessary for the type of player he wants to be (an aggressive offensive player who can't hit free throws is worthless and a bigman who can't rebound and isn't a great defender is pretty close to worthless). He'd have to improve dramatically, quickly for him to be a factor positively.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All assumes AH will want to come off the bench here, and that Indy is through.

Not too sure about either.
  6. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

I don't think he'd come off the bench here, but I suppose that's another (or several other) argument(s) involving the quality (or lack of) of Mohammed and the ability of Sheed and Harrington to rebound well enough if they start together.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i disagree. That's why you are seeing smaller adjustments and not blockbuster trades. I feel that JD thinks the window is still open...perhaps the best chances to win it all has passed but the window is still open.

I still think its 75% up to flip S. Can he get the team to peak at the right time? It won't matter who we have if they played their best in December.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong.
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I have been tooting the Harrington horn for quite some time, and it seems at this point there is no hope of landing him.

I agree he will not want to come off the bench. The Pistons will not have a starting position for him unless a starter is traded for him and of course that is not going to happen.

The Pistons were not on the list of teams Harrington was interested in playing for, perhaps the thought of coming off the bench influenced his choices. The Nuggets were on that list and that is an interesting thought.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think Joe feels the window has closed just yet. Closing, yes, but not closed. But I do think that Joe has over valued the starting 5 (now 4) ever since they won the championship.

I think he's gotten a bit too complacent the past few years and has been laulled into a false sense of invincibility. I hope this past post season will have jolted him back to reality, but so far, its just been more of the status quo.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think over-valued in the sense that there was a "greater than the sum of its parts" sort of mystique here. When you subtract a player from the mix, what are you going to replace it with? If your player is more valuable to you than to another team, how do you figure out equal or better value?

What is so good about Harrington? How do people see him fitting in?
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Harrington for one is 26 years old with 8 years of NBA experience. It`s easy to forget that he came right out of High School.

In his injury plagued career thus far he is a career 12/6 guy that is ready to be a 18/8 guy. In the 2002-2003 season he was runner-up in the Sixth Man of The Year Award. He can be a go to guy on offense as a starter or off the bench. Of course with the Pistons he would be a great back up to Tay, and play PF at times.

His defense is lacking, however, in these changing NBA times............well I won`t go there. After a couple of years fairly healthy, this kid would be a great addition, however, as you stated, Detroit would have to give up something they really couldn`t afford to land him.

It`s too bad all the teams that`s interested in him, or that he is interested in playing for are not contenders.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Here in LA, Sports radio is thinking that Harrington is the missing link to getting the Lakers back to the Finals:nod:. They are figuring a sign and trade with Chris Mihm going to the Hawks. The Hawks beat writer was on the radio Sunday saying that the teams still in the hunt at that time included The Pistons, Pacers, Bull, Nuggets, Warriors and Lakers, and the latter was the dark horse.
  14. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Harrington was a key player on the Pacers 04 team that played excellent defense. He may not be a super defender, but he also doesn't hurt a defense, obviously.
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If this team can afford playing hydrants like Murray, Harrington wouldn't hurt on defense for sure...
  16. max

max All-Star

I had not realized that the Pistons were an option. He would be a nice upgrade over Dyess. Whats he asking for 9-10mil/yr?