Has Big Ben done enough to be DPOY again???

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I pose this question as I watch the Bobcats v Pacers broadcast as they laud their own Gerald Wallace for DPOY. Now, I know he's having a good year and all, but has he done enough to be considered a better defender than Big Ben this season?
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

gerald wallace has missed over 30 games this year. as good as his stats are, that's too many games to miss and still get the award. plus ben is a better candidate regardless.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I have to recuse myself from this discussion, as my obvious bias for Ben Wallace would not allow a fair judgement.
  4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Gerald Wallace is not a good defensive player. I don't care what the stats say. And as much as I distrust on-court/off-court numbers, they do support my argument in this case: the Bobkittens actually allow more points when he's on the floor than not. Somehow Wallace has become one of the most overrated players in the NBA this season.

But I'd say Bruce Bowen deserves this year's award more than Big Ben.
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Gerald is a ways down the list. It will be Ben or Bowen.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If Ben wins, it will be in large part due to his reputation and profile on the winningest team.

What a twist of events. A Piston getting credit based on respect.

Btw, Ben is still an elite player. You don't get voted the toughest rebounder by your peers unless there is something to that (63% of SI.com players poll).
  7. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I would have to say Ben Wallace, BUT whoever made the statement that Gerald Wallace is not a good defensive player has been greatly deceived. You can not become only the third player in history to average 2+ steals and 2+ blocks for a season and not be a good defensive player. If you are speaking in regards to his man to man defense it’s the same knock that has been made of Ben over and over again. Gerald Wallace is the real deal and I am not saying that because I played ball with him in high school. He is a SF who plays like the biggest man on the court on most nights. I agree Ben deserves it but I am afraid they are going to give it to Bowen.
  8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Yes, you can.

True, although Ben Wallace is an adequate man-to-man defender, and Gerald Wallace is not. He's not all that great a help-defender either. He does nothing but jump around and gamble, and the numbers show, if just watching the games wouldn't convince you, that his gambling doesn't help his team's defense.

Points allowed per 100 possessions (on-court/off-court):
    Ben: 100.8/110.4
    Gerald: 108.9/108.0

Now, as I said, I don't believe that those numbers are very meaningful. But they do show that not only are the Bobcats a terrible defensive team when he's on the floor, they're somehow better when he's not on the floor. Yep, he's the next Russell.

Gerald Wallace is a great athlete; not a great basketball player. He does play hard, but that doesn't do anything for him except make him prone to injuries. If he makes it to an all-defensive team, they may as well replace the other regulars, the Bowens and Duncans of the world, with LeBron James, Samuel Dalembert, and Larry Hughes and Dwyane Wade (oh, wait, somehow they already made it, despite being way-below-average defenders). Make Allen Iverson the DPOY. :ohwell:
  9. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

As I too am a Pistons-biased fan, I would be fine with Ben winning again.

But honestly, too much of his work flies under the radar.

I'd think he probably will get serious competition for the award this year.

My guy to win it will be Andrei Kirilenko. The guy fills the stat line crazy each game he plays. I don't care how many games he misses because of injury.

I'd love to see him in a Pistons uni.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It is hard to be objective, but I stand by what I've said earlier.

Best defensive players this year statistically are Camby, Marion, BBen, and Kirilenko. Camby and Kirilenko haven't played enough games to get it, and BBen has just done more.

Ben.
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I think Ben should get it, definitely. In its latest issue, SI picked Tim Duncan for some reason and had Ben as the runnerup. I don't see that at all. And then SI picked Ben for 1st Team All NBA and had Duncan on the second team. ????????
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well there is Ben's offensive game. That is a lot better than Duncan anyday! ;)
  13. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I think it should be Bowen. I think it's a bit of a fiasco that he's never won the award. The guy is the very definition of perimeter lockdown, but somehow he's often ignored.

Pippen never won DPOY either, which just doesn't make sense. He was possibly the best all-around defender I've ever seen.

As for Ben, he has as good a shot at winning it as anyone, but I really think it should go to Bowen instead.
  14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree. We had this discussion the other day about lock down defenders, shot blockers, and theft artists.

Since shot blocks and steals are often noted more than the in-your-face- defender, they are awarded with the DPOY.

Got to roll, wanted to say more will finish it later..............:mad:
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

difficult- by the stats, Marion, Camby or Dwight Howard could be candidates. Obviou8sly, they don't have the same impact on their team's overall defense as Ben- on the other hand, Detroit hasn't been the defense team it used to be in the past seasons so I wouldn't wonder if Bowen would win the trophy for the first time.
  16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Bowen is perceived as a dirty player. Ben may get snubbed because of his decision not to play in Orlando.
  17. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Bowen deserves it, this is probably the last year he could ever fight for it. He may not deserve it this year but if he never gets the award in his career it would be a crime. His less than honest play could prevent that and I would love to have ben rack these things up, but if I were to compare Bowen's sometimes dirty play with Ben's less than usual year I'd give it to Bowen. The job he did on Dirk in game 3 of the mavs/spurs season series was insane.
  18. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I hope Ben gets snubbed so his roid-rage kicks in again* and he starts blocking 10 shots a game.

*see Orlando game
  19. ba2bw

ba2bw Second Round Draft Pick

I think he deserves it.Everybody says "AK47 and Camby missed all year if they play whole season they would be dpoy".
    But i dont agree it becauz they are very arhletic and atletizm made them good defenders.But they made themselves very thin to be athletic and i think they dont deserve dpoy they deserve to be injured eith this kind of physic.I'm 6"3 and i have the same weight with camby.Look at Big Ben but he is not thin and he doesnt injure.He is also the best defender in the world.