Has Flip Sr. learned from past mistakes??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Apr 12, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm guessing Joe D sat down with Nazr and told him that we are paying him a lot of money and that his contract lasts many years. Davis, Webber, and Dyess could all be gone next year and Nazr will be the man. He really seems to have handled his extreme demotion from starter to Dale Davis backup pretty well.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

No, he definitely has not learned sheet!

:hoops:
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I believe this time around he has better buy-in from the players and the respective lessing of team dissension. He has gotten to know the players (including the bench) and perhaps the players were embarrassed by last years performance (minus the traditional excuses), which included a huge arrogance level. They might even ask themselves on how Ben has adjusted and fared this season...which should give everyone a dose of reality.

They are deeper because of Flip's persistence in multiple offensive and defensive approaches. 50+ and 60+ wins in a season means the system has worked. And let us be honest, it has worked despite an abundance of inconsistent energy exerted on the floor for 1-2 quarters, and regardless of the teams lack of consideration for it's fan base at home games.

All and all, this team has the challenge ahead of them. It will fail only if they let it. The system and Flip will not let them down. It is all up to them. They are healthy, rested, know the system and the conference is down from what it should be. No more blaming the coach.
  4. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Yeah I understand what you are saying but it's not like our team wasn't dinged up either last year. I'm so tired of teams and fans making excuses for not winning on account of injuries. I can vividly remember chauncey being out for 03 series against New Jersey with a severly sprained ankle. I dont remember any of those guys making excuses. This is why it is vital to incorporate a strong bench so if one of your guys goes down you can still give yourself a chance to compete at a high level. Last time I checked it was the Miami Heat vs. Detroit Pistons, not D-Wade and Shaq vs. Detoit Pistons. There are 2 types of people the kind that make excuses and the kind that execute. :eyebrows:
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

So my question is... why should we consider this squad the most talented (must be the coaches fault)?
  6. buddahfan

Like I said. He ain't learned sheet. The main objective is ALWAYS winning! That is why the game is played.

According to Saunders its okay to lose and for the second line players to get injured. Very discouraging to say the least. The guy has no killer instinct. That probably explains why the Pistons lose games that they should win easily.

Saunders and Carlisle. Too soft
    Brown - A hard ass when it came down to it.

Nice guys may not finish last but softies don't get the home coming queen. Its great to be nice but if you want to capture the heart of the homecoming queen you got to be tough inside. Is Saunders tough enough to lead the troops through the playoff battle to capture the title? I hope so, but I would not bet on it at this point off of what I continue to see and hear from him.

NBA - Philadelphia 76ers/Detroit Pistons Recap Sunday April 15, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports
  7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yes, No, and Maybe.

Yes: I think he understands the team can't get far with only 6 contributors.

No: Flip seems to disagree with the players opinions. A lot.

Maybe: Time will tell.

My only hope is that both Flip and the players have learned enough.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So true, and yet the naysayer last year was Joe Dumars himself. He claimed that if we lost CB, that was it, we were toast. No such silly statements this time around. We lost Sheed for the most part from that ankle injury, and that hurt our chances to advance a lot. And for no reason beyond laziness on the organizations part to ensure there was a backup ready to play. I will blame Saunders directly for not having Dale Davis ready to go, but Dumars gets a good dose of blame also for that loser attitude he had going about this situation. You don't plan to lose. You plan to win. Injuries or not, you plan to win it all.

This year, unfortunately, some of the loser attitude remains, as they never managed to get a decent backup point guard for a second straight year for the playoffs. Yep, they got Dale Davis ready to play this time, so even if Sheed gets injured, or Dyess or Webber, we got a very strong defender and rebounder who can make up a lot for Sheed's absence. Then there is JMAX, and even Amir Johnson. Great. Lots of depth there. And at small forward, now that Amir Johnson has played a bit, guess what, he shores that position up even if we were to lose Delfino or Tay. Its just point guard that they have failed to shore up in case of injury.

But believe it or not, its not too late. Blalock could still start tomorro night for us and in Boston. That plus the fact he played 14 games earlier in the season for us, and the practice he has had down in the D-League, would be enough. You simply start playing him right now. The first round should be easy enough. By the 2nd round, you got a backup point guard who can run the plays, bring the ball up well, get inside the defense and dish, and play solid D. But its going to have to start with Dumars wanting to win enough to do his job.
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Lee...earlier in the year you predicted that we would have a great deal of trouble getting past Miami in this year's playoffs because we didn't have a true center..such as Kelvin Cato or Elden Campbell.

Now you seem focused on Will Blalock being in the rotation as a key to playoff success. My question to you is: Will we have a chance to get past some of the deeper teams in the playoffs without young Will at the backup pg position? I'm starting to worry.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

AYEEEE...there's the rub! This team doesnt listen or most importantly, respect Flip at all. The main culprit is sheed and everybody sans webber and Prince, follow Sheed's lead. I dont mind the execution aspect because you either make it or miss it. BUT INTENSITY only needs heart. Do we have heart anymore and who's gonna be the one that fire this team up. Id say TPorter but what that show up FlipSr.?

unfortunately, the key to our fate is in SHEED'S hands...
  11. buddahfan

Pound for Pound knew how to handle Sheed. But he is probably the only NBA coach that Sheed has had that he has respected and listened to. It could have had something to do with the NC connection, but I think it was more than that. I think Brown had the right personality to handle Sheed but not guys like DMC, Okur and Delfino the Euros.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sheed hasn't changed a bit since Larry Brown was here. He still gets the technicals. He still complains about calls. He still launches three-pointers. He does a lot of good things, too, obviously, but Sheed does whatever Sheed wants to do, for the most part.
  13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok, a sweep engineered by none other than Flip Saunders.

Looks like he has learned somewhat from his past mistakes. He is not afraid to go to his bench and they are responding by playing inspired ball on both ends, for the most part.

I know this was only the 1 st round against a subpar opponent, however, Saunders is showing signs of getting it with this team.

I know he wants nothing more than to beat Ben`s Bulls. He will be very intense and who knows, might actually get into someones face during (Pistons/bulls) this series.

Good job in the first round Flip. Keep it up!!
  14. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Now that you mention it, I'm looking forward to seeing how FlipS handles the pressure of multilayered subplots in a series against the Bulls. You can be sure the media will keep any and every detail of the Ben/Flip relationship in Flips face.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Flip has already fired the first shot. During the opening game against Orlando, Flip talked about the strategy against Howard... talked about fouling him and putting him on the line, then said "we know what it's like having a player who can't shoot freethrows, because we had to deal with it with Ben Wallace" (paraphrased)
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Flip's done something in Detroit LB could not. Carlisle could not. Collins could not.

He and Chuck Daly have presided over a sweep. It's not a huge deal, but it still counts.
  17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

What if, we sweep the Bulls??

I know we would still be two series away from a ship, but IMO we would be well on our way.

To answer the question of this thread, I can say yes.

One thing I don`t like though is Flip playing Tay and Rip a few minutes too many in game 1 of the Chicago series. Other than that, kepp doing what you are doing Flip.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Flip is making all the right moves with the players. Sheed is into his own path, and is not affected by the coach. He's the same for Flip as he was for LB. Not having to be "the Man" with the Pistons allows Sheed the freedom to be his own person, whatever that may be. Flip will "appreciate" the FIRE that Sheed is bringing to the Playoffs and all will be happy in Pistonland...............
    :detective: :hand:
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I really like the playing time he doled out in game 1 vs. the Bulls. Smart move playing JMax and Lindsey. Even a little Flip Murray in the mix.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The team was very well prepared for Game 1. You never got the feeling that the Bulls were doing anything unexpected.

Now the real test will be to finish this series quickly. Flip will earn a lot of credit from me if the team can keep putting pressure on opponents to toughen up and change the pace.

Quite frankly, that Orlando series was a masterful job. From game to game, Orlando made adjustments and everytime they took one thing, we took away another.