Has Flip Sr. learned from past mistakes??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That would be easy to do if I hadn't sat through people torching LB before the All-Star break of his 1st season. But I'm supposed to give Flip 5 years to get it done when he spent his first year doing exactly what Cola did running up reg. season wins?

2. Pwn Toney

Don't get me wrong...I'm a long way from flaming people on this board. It solves nothing and Roscoe36 will have my hyde because I know better...

...that and it's pretty childish and mean-spirited.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

its better than Darko talk.

IMO LB's team was like a heavy duty truck but one that climbed to the mountain top despite its payload. Flip last year brought an SUV (sans baggage!) and that was the first time he went off roading. This year, Flips back with a Hummer and Low's like you STILL can't ride up the mountain in that. And everyone else is saying: That ain't what we saw on COPS!

This pistons team doesn't have that extra gear. They don't need it. they just have to avoid playing below their potential.

4. Pwn Toney

Keep in mind, I've said on this forum numerous times that if Flip manages to prove me wrong, I will be the first one in here to say I was wrong and give him credit. I just don't happen to believe it will happen (or believe in Flip).

5. Slippy

When I read stuff like this I realize that you're not arguing with other posters but with history. And its like my great, great, great grandfather once said: You can't debate with the past. I'm sure he couldn't cuz there hadn't been that much gone on back then.

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You don't think Pistons can win a 'ship with Flip being at the helm?

7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

So Flip should have lost more games... ??? ... ??? That would have made you happy (Yes I know, and the world knows he should have developed the bench more).

Are you LB's agent or something?

It's over he's gone.

He is/was a great coach, but a huge drama queen.

If he would have just shut up and been happy with his stocked roster (the best he'd ever or will ever have, and unselfish to boot) he'd still be coaching here instead of his 'dream job' or 'Cleveland' or 'Wherever they'd pay him attention and make him feel wanted next'.

Why did all the assistants leave before the 05 season? Yeah because Larry couldn't tell them he was staying, even though he was under contract.

GREAT, just wonderful.

Also his 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense would not be working very well in the new NBA unless maybe you have a Tim Duncan, and those don't grow on trees.

8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    LB came in, won, and left. Lets just leave it at that and move on. In the end he was creating more trouble than his coaching was worth. Now we have Flip, and while he may not be LB, he's got his own potential.

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

100% correct.

For better and for worse.

Now to get back on topic. I think Flip has done a much better job this season, especially late in games.

10. Pwn Toney

If I had a dollar for every time I got this post as a response......:winner_first_h4h:

11. Pwn Toney

Not particularly.

12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

You'd have a lot of dollars I guess.

Care to counterpoint?

Gracias.

13. Pwn Toney

Counterpoints:

The point is, LB's focus was on getting these guys to do the little things "the right way" so that come playoff time, there was no question this team would be better prepared than their opponents. So, maybe they won a few less reg. season games, they were more than ready and if they lost it was become someone was just that much better, not because we gave in to a gimmick or almost triple teamed ourselves out of existence.

No, I am not Larry Brown's agent or something.

It's never been about bringing LB back and changing the course of history. It's about maintaining a solid approach the game and a method that has been a major success with the personnel we have.

I know you weren't here for the dozens of 'dream job' arguments I've had, but it's just too long of a recap.

That 'new NBA' is lookin real good right now with DAL sitting at home and PHX already having coughed up HCA.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I wish Stern would make up his bloody mind. :yellowprison:

15. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

blah blah blah, see incoherent response in quote.

16. Pwn Toney

We agree 100% I'm a huge fan of high percentage points

I wasn't ignoring it. It just didn't bother me the way it got the rest of the faithful up in arms. A) Most of it was press generated and B) As long as we are going to the Finals, I could care less.

It wasn't intended that way. I've just been at it with people over this ever since it happened....the comment was past tense in nature and taken out of context to be used against LB as a present tense comment and this is not debatable if you read the interview in full.

My point is...everybody psychologically and actively adjusting their rosters and game plans to a style of play (perceived as being the "wave of the future") that falls short when compared to who's actually winning the title is somewhat unwarranted in my opinion. Kinda like when a psychic tells you something and you spend the next 3 weeks living your life in reaction to that...it only becomes your reality because you tricked yourself into acting in accordance with whatever the psychic said.

17. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I apologize I apparently unclear in saying that Larry didn't need to be 'all eyes on me' not that you were acting that way. :) I agree it was taken out of context but it's about as smart as telling your wife which of her sisters you'd most 'like to have'.

The wave of the future I was referring to his how the game is officiated, not the whole small ball thing (which I know is byproduct of that officiating (and Nellie coming back)).

18. Pwn Toney

I understand and agree. I just don't think it should have been used to hang the guy.

Ah...got it now....The only reason I haven't been sold on that is because just like the 'no tolerance techs' these guys revert back to thier old ways once the gloves come off (the playoffs). They still aren't holding true to that for 82 + 16.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Actually, you do a great job of taking the Devil's Advocate side and not getting personal. Folks could learn from this. As slippy says, argue the post, not the poster.

I was helping Darth Tater pick out new toenail polishes and missed all of this discussion.

Great to see The Low holding court.

How do you guys feel about bringing back George Irvine?

20. Slippy

WTF!!! Black. Glossy. Nuff said.