Heat in serious talks to trade Shaq

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MisterZ, Feb 5, 2008.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

O.k., maybe the line was a little wider then.

:pound:
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Because as Kerr said he is a moron and he like some many others in the BB world still believe that Shaq is still the most dominant player out there??? Remember some media types in the preseason still had the Heat as the 4th best team in the east. :confused: Seems like somebody even had them going to the conference finals thinking that if Shaq and Wade were both healthy by mid season they would return to form.

Kerr won't admit it yet, but this was probably his response to the Lakers getting Gasol and he figured with Amare and Marion both being kind of soft in the middle defensively>> they needed somebody else to offset the Bynum/Gasol duet or Duncan when it came down to the post season.

I am thinking based on Shaq's comments at the Suns news conference today that he will probably more inclined to get back in shape and probably won't fake any injuries......:sssh:
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Back in November, four out of the 18 ESPN "experts" predicted the Miami Heat to win their division.

Eight out of the 18 picked the Bulls to win the Eastern Conference. More experts picked the Bulls to win the Central Division than the Pistons (10-7).

Five of the experts predicted Phoenix to win it all (without Shaq).

One expert (Chad Ford) actually picked the Pistons to win it all.

ESPN - Experts' preseason predictions for titles - NBA

One expert (Dr. Jack Ramsey) picked Scott Skiles to win Coach of the Year.

Three experts picked Maxiel to win the Most Improved Player (MIP) Award. JMax also got one vote for Sixth Man of the Year.

ESPN - Experts' preseason predictions for awards - NBA
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

312 for him is a good weight and 12 percent body fat is very good.

----------------------------------------------------------
    From 4 years ago

So it seems that he is actually 15 pounds lighter than 4 years ago.

I doubt he could ever get down below 300. His frame is too big and he is too muscular.

Miami's Diesel Brings Punch To The Gallon - Sports

Shaq aims for 5th title
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The big variable here is how much was Shaq loafing?

We will soon find out.

It was funny watching Phoenix and New Orleans battle it out last night without their best defensive players, Marion and Chandler.
  6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Shaq really did slim down after the trade from L.A. to Miami, and he seems to done a good job staying at that weight over the last few years. But he can't be productive for 35 minutes per game anymore anyway, so his weight probably isn't that good a measure of how much gas he has left in the tank. He doesn't seem to have much left anymore no matter what.
  7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

by whom?

I mean, Shaq's always been the kind of childish person who would do anything for spite, but like improving his free throw shooting, he won't do that.
  8. BillLaimbeer

Steve Kerr said on the radio that the Suns' doctors measured Shaq yesterday at 320 pounds and 12% body fat.
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

OK. Well, I think 320 is probably more accurate than 312. :sssh:

Or maybe the 12% is calculated like a tax? So, 320 pounds of bone and tissue, plus 38 pounds of fat?
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:rofl:

He's easily over 500 lbs when you factor in his ego.
  11. BillLaimbeer

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is the Suns doctor named Dr. Phil? :)

Yeah Shaq looked in good shape up their on the podium talking today, but if you think about it, what NBA team doctor was going to have Shaq fail a physical when the franchise is depending on it??

I suspect because of the new situation and the prospect of beating out the Lakers or Spurs in the WCF, Shaq will show up and give it his best ..more so than what he did in Miami this past season..but not sure if he has that much left in the tank for rest of the season.... unless Mike Antoni uses him sparingly and saving him for heavier minutes in the post season?? Whatever happens, Shaq sold it to the Suns beat writers with all of his I am going to make Amare better BS.:blah:
  13. BillLaimbeer

Steve Kerr said the entire trade hinged upon what the Phoenix medical staff had to say. They weren't going to approve this deal if they didn't think Shaq could contribute.

The salaries in the trade are pretty much a wash for the first 2 years. It's the $20 million in Shaq's 3rd year that is the biggest part of the risk.
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

If Shaq stinks it up, Kerr should forfeit his entire salary to help foot the bill for Snaq's salary in that third year. Not sure what Kerr is getting, but he could put a dent in it.
  15. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I am not so sure salaries are a wash when you swap these guys. Marion is going to contribute, he may be unhappy, but he'll give you something. Banks is a nice piece with a little bit to high of a price tag (actually everybody in this deal is getting paid to much). And Shaq, maybe he'll help em out, but I like paying for production not some guy to sit on the bench and complain about his thigh bruise.

I guess what I am saying is if I gotta shell out 20 mil for some basketball player, I'd rather pay it to somebody who hustles, plays D, and can play 35 minutes a game for the rest of the season.
  16. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

Hell if this don't work and the Suns go down as fast as the Heat have (I know Shaq wasn't the only reason for that), I wanna know how fast Kerr is gonna get kicked out of town. As avid as some Suns fans are I think he is gonna need to go hide out in Siberia for a bit.
  17. BillLaimbeer

I said salaries are a wash, not production.
  18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Don't forget he also traded the draft picks that ended up being Tony Allen and Josh Smith.

I cringe every time Josh puts up numbers like the ones he has posted in the last two games for ATL.
  19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I believe the hype.

One thing that noone seems to be mentioning is the fact that Nash's window is closing.... and Amare or no, the Suns won't be the contenders for anything once he and Marion (who was leaving anyway) are not on the team.

Taking a gamble on Shaquille makes perfect sense to me. Whats more, I really do believe he will take a great deal of pressure off of Amare, which will in fact make him a better player on the floor.

I didn't think Grant would do well in the Suns system, and he appears to be handling things just fine. If the PHX docs can give Shaq some of that cookin'....this team has just become my favorite in the west.
  20. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Based on the PHX team, I believe they want to win this year or next. I figure they're good for a ship at least one of these two years.