Here are the look at the situations on possible FA's Ariza,Odom and Turkoglu

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jun 13, 2009.

1. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Adande has been one of the more accurate analyst for ESPN.
    It's hard to get excited about Odom... he has his moments... then he disappears for two games (sound like Sheed?).
    Ariza is intriguing.
    Always believed that a Championship would mean an automatic resigning of your key talent.
    These two would come at a high price.

The Shaq to Cleveland thing would possibly put the Cavs over the top for a year... Shaq plays about the same defense as big Z... no comparison on offense.

The overriding thought is how long is it gonna take to compete with the Cavs, Celts & Magic (not to mention up-n-comers like Philly, Chicago & Atlanta).
    The last thing we needed was for Orlando to get all of this finals experience.

I go back and forth with Turk... we really need a hard nosed defender at SF.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't like the idea of getting Terkoglu who is somehow between a penetrating forward that takes it to the rim at times and a shooter without being that much better than Tay.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ariza seems like a good fit as a Laker. He has a calm confidence that you need to have in order to play with Kobe.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You mentioned he is a penetrating forward...yes, he is.
    You mentioned he takes it to the rim....yes, he does.
    You mentioned he is better shooter than Tay...yes he is.

I completely agree with you. That's why he might be worth a four year contract at 10.5 mil (includes trade kicker). This brings him to the age of 34 which is in the Prince's range. Prince will be making over 11.1 Mil in 2010-2011. This will but pressure on the Orlando organization to overspend on him and into luxury tax area. Perfect setup for a S/T.

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Turk is much much better than Tay. He can handle the ball and run the offense better than Tay (Tay's strong suit), he plays just as good if not better D, is just on a different level than Tay. Joe needs to dump Tay's salary and start Turkoglu at $10+ mil a year.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Turk excels in a free-flowing offense that allows him to have the ball in his hands often. Do we play like that here? It seems he would not be a good fit. That's just my casual internet fan impression of his game.

8. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

I think he would be a good fit offensively. Having turkeyglue running the offense means more Stuckey playing off the ball and doing what he does best. Also, Hedo adds another 3pt shooter- an area we are really hurting in right now. If we could work a sign and trade for Tay I would definitely do it. I mean the dude has been a beast these entire playoffs, when has Tay every had more than one good playoff series?

9. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

man Turk has shown what he is made of! and that is clutch! he has hit many big shots this post season including the one that would have put the magic up 3-0 if lebron doesn't hit a game winner with 1 second left!

Turk offense is much better than tay's offense. i say try and get the guy!

10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Without Howard on the defensive end and Lewis to bail out stalled plays with timely threes on the offensive side of the court, Hedo would look really bad.

His flashes of great play are interspersed with too many lapses in effort and hustle for my liking.

We don't have anything close to a D Howard, nor do we have the kinds of three point threats Orlando has. I have a sinking feeling Hedo would look like trash here.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Turk would be an upgrade, but seeing Ariza play for a whole season out here, I like his upside. yep he is still raw, but he has that dang did you see that persona..someone who can play D, take the three and drive when needed.

Not sure if he can play outside Phil's system, and I am sure the Lakers will probably opt to resign and leave Odom out there for other suitors.

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep...

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is there any player out there that wouldn't look like trash given the current state of the team?

That being said I am going to be really disappointed if the Pistons shoot a 3 pointer next year.

14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Excellent point Ernie.

It seems pretty obvious that changing the current state of the team is more important than simply adding player x,y,or z.

The team as it is currently constituted managed to make one of the best individuals in the game look like trash. 2 more years with us and we may have kept him out of the HOF.

For sure one player isn't going to dig us out of this hole. This is why I'm counting on trades unrestricted by the cap (because we will be so far under it) in conjunction with a "minor" free agent signing to accomplish the "restructuring" Dumars promised us last year.

15. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

I don't disagree with much of what has been said.

For LA, keeping Odom is a lock since he has stated he does not want to leave his home by the beach. Unlike Big Ben, Odom grew up with electricity, heating and refrigeration, and is coming off two max level contracts, so he will settle for considerably less than what he could fetch on the open market. Yes, I seriously mean every word of that.

The ESPN article suggests Dr Jerry will open the bank to keep both Odom and Ariza. And why not? Kobe has another 3-4 years max. at being at the top of his game. Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

That being said, if we offered Ariza 8-9mil per year, would the Lakers hesitate to match? And assuming they did not match, would Ariza bring that much value to the Pistons? I say yes. He has not yet reached his ceiling. Sure, its easier to look good with Kobe on the other wing, and Gasol, Odom and Bynum in the paint, but he has proven to be an impact player on both ends in big games, and can hold his own against the best SFs, even if he is not on the same level as Iggy, Caron, etc.

Add Ariza, keep Rip, sign Dre Miller to a 2-3yr deal to distribute the ball, beef up the 5 position (e.g., Gortat), allowing Amir and JMax to play their true position at the 4, and bring Stuckey, Prince and Kwame off the bench. We would have to be pretty competitive, at least in terms of pushing beyond the eighth seed, and could improve over 2-3 years, especially with a tweak here or there along the way.

A little pie in the sky, but hey, if Joe and co are willing to spend the benjamins, it could become reality:
    1. Dre Miller
    2. Rip / Stuckey
    3. Ariza / Prince
    4. Amir / Jmax
    5. Gortat / Kwame

16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yeah dude!
    Let's shoot for the moon!

...Let's build a team that loses in the 2nd round rather than the first! :second:

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not seeing the Gortat potential. Isn't this a guy who can't manage to get on the floor in front of Tony Battie? Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

After all, the Pistons already have enough guys who would be all stars if just given a chance to play.

18. theWORM

Please, enlighten us all with your master plan to get us into the finals next season?

19. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is no way Ariza starts over Tay if they bring him in. No way.

20. theWORM

And why is that?