Here are the look at the situations on possible FA's Ariza,Odom and Turkoglu

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jun 13, 2009.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Odom is willing to take a pay cut to stay in LA. He's got it good and he won't mess up his career like Ben Wallace did.

Is Turkeyglue the second coming of Grant Hill the point forward? He is 30 years old and I feel that his excellent playoff run might make him seem better than he really is.

Ariza is young and looks like a solid player for years to come. He would be my choice.

We could do what Ernie wants to do and move Tay to PF.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That's the thing Worm.
    There IS no realistic plan that anyone could even conceive for the Pistons to get to the finals next season. That's why I'm all for the process of a total rebuild rather than the band-aid fixes that many of us are purposing.

Do you honestly feel that the lineup you proposed has what it takes to get by a healthy Boston? ...Orlando? ...Cleveland? ...Atlanta? ...Chicago?
    Those teams are all 1 or 2 players away from contending for a championship while the Pistons are at LEAST 4 players (2 of them being all-stars) and 1 head coach away from their level.

This year's FA class is mediocre.
    This year's draft is mediocre.

I'd rather see Joe put together a solid 2 or 3 year plan to get the team back to "contender" status than blow his cap wad to over-pay a bunch of MLE type dudes (Miller not withstanding). The next 2 or 3 years are going to require some smart drafting, responsible FA signings and stealing a player or 2 in trades.

...and I just don't see Rip AND Tay as Pistons 2 years from now. One or both will likely have to be included in a trade. We don't need "solid" players; We need ALL-STARS!

3. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Orlando had Turkoglu and Lewis closing games and making treys when needed. When we needed a trey we had Hermann throwing bricks at the end of games.

I'm picturing Tayshaun palming the ball for 15 seconds in the right corner while everyone else is standing and starring (amazed by Tay's ability to palm the ball) and Tayshaun getting ready to make a move to his left.

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe against the Celtics, but Cleveland's problem with Howard was that they couldn't match his speed. Shaq's old. He'll put up a better fight than Z against Howard, and he probably still has a few tricks up his sleeve, but it is what it is.

5. Walter

Actually, he's more of a half court guy. He's not typically involved in Orlando fast breaks, but when they settle on a half-court set, they start their plays with the ball in his hands.

At the moment, Turkoglu is head and shoulders above Tay. No comparison.

6. Walter

I'd take Ariza over Turkoglu as well.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Me too..Ariza is 23 and Turk 30..so Ariza could be our [strike]Kobe [/strike], I mean our Paul Pierce 2 years from now and be the man for the next 5-7

Ariza is from LA (played with Amir in high school) so I'm not sure what type of money could drag him from home and from an organization that can win it all for another 3 years to come to one that will be rebuilding for the next couple of years....(not sure how close he and Amir are either).

Now that Adam Morrison has a ring, he is considered a champion so maybe we should trade for him too....

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Isn't that the kind of thinking that brought Jud Beuchler to the Pistons?

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the end, what former champions will has the bigger leagacy, Jud Beuchler, Adam Morrison, or Darvin Ham or Dorko?

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What he said

11. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

12. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

BDL, I could not agree more. I have been saying that the team is broken and needs a new identity as loudly and as long as anyone here. However, I think you are too quickly dismissing the suggestion, for the following reasons:

1. Splitting our money over three guys is far less risky than tying it up in one max guy and an MLE guy.
    2. Three NEW faces in the starting line up IS a drastic make over. The core is completely different. Rip is the only guy from the old core, not counting Prince, who's role is heavily reduced.
    3. I did state a "...few tweaks over 2-3 years". Prince, when he's in the final year of his deal, sees his trade value soar.
    4. What you versus someone else might call a drastic make over can differ. Dumping ALL the vets, and accumulating draft picks, and throwing lotso cash at Boozer et. al., is clearly your idea of a make over. But I see no need to head to loserville status just for the sake of 'blowing up' the team.

13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Turkolu reminds me of Tony Kukoc, clutch player at times but not money every time, I think Kukoc played a little more defense than turk.

I would rather have Ariza than Turk.

14. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Sounds interesting, but not interesting enough.

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That's precisely what I DON'T want Joe to do.

If Joe is gonna spend 15mil per year on a player, I'd like it to be the right player. - Not a player that just happened to be the most appealing out of a marginal FA class (Boozer).

...And I'm not really down with the idea of signing a bunch of 8-12mil per year guys with the idea that doing so is going to put us right back into the ECF picture. - Not gonna work.

I'd MUCH rather see Joe field an NBDL all-star team along with a few rooks and use the 09/10 season to regroup and reload to be a serious championship contender in 10/11 (with a new coach of course). The Pistons are in a damn good financial situation right now and are poised to pounce on any decent trade or free agent signing that presents itself.

...It's not about making moves.
    ...It's all about making the RIGHT moves!

16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

dba, sprocket points free agent salaries....

Do you need a list of FAs? How can I help gather the data for this?

18. Walter

I'd pay him $7.5M.

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is what you're looking for a subset of the spreadsheet I sent you before I went on vacation?

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes and I am an idiot :doh: . I will get back to you on this.