Here's a rebuilding plan:

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 2, 2009.

1. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

#1) The wizards have stated that they're going to be looking to trade their top pick unless its in the top two - it "should" be the third. They have also stated that they are going to be keeping their "big three" together - Arenas-PG, Jamison-PF and Butler-SG. So, they're going to be looking to upgrade at shooting guard or center. How about Rip Hamilton and the #15!? It seems like a bit of a stretch, but remember, Ray Allen was traded for the #5 overall pick a couple of seasons ago...at about the same age and talent level. Take Hasheem Thabeet there and we've got the next Dikembe Mutumbo. That's a great start!

#2) Forget about Carlos Boozer, Ben Gordon, etc...let's go after real stars. Kobe Bryant this summer, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire next summer. The Hamilton trade's going to give us enough cap space to bring in two max contracts. Kobe's not coming here...LeBron's no coming here...Dwayne's not coming here...but we've got a real shot at the others.

C: H. Thabeet
    PF: C. Bosh
    SF: T. Prince
    SG: J. Johnson
    PG: R. Stuckey

Bench: 2010 1st rd. pick (should be high), Maxiel, Sharpe?, Afflalo, Bynum, etc.

Now that's a team!
  2. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

I agree a long term planification is better, waiting until 2010 but i see important obstacles:

-Media and fans don´t want a 26- 56 losser regular seasson after this summer to land a high draft pick i think detroit media can´t see this scenario,but curry decission go in this way.People could obligate Dumards to waste majority of money this year,Boozer,Gordon,lee,Misllap,R,Sessions or T.Outlaw will be in the market but Joe must pay correct salary or wait one more year for Bosh and J. Jhonson.
    -Wizard pick is a steal,wizard are not stupids (hamilton contract 31 years old for a young like Thabeet or rubio who have less salary?).
    -We must trade Tay because we play same division cavs,who have lebron james.
  3. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

#1) rubio's going top two, hence the reason that the wizards are going to deal the pick unless its in the top two.

#2) If we've got joe johnson at the two, then we can live with tayshaun at the three, because jj can guard lebron.
  4. CarlosGallan

I agree with jj,but it´s difficult for wizards fans be gone Thabeet for Rip having one older and not cheap center,i wish we have rubio pg level or a real center like thabeet.
    One real contender it´s building around young rookies + FA, i wish we could have wizards pick.
  5. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I'd wager my left something that Detroit doesn't get any of Wade/Kobe/LeBron/Bosh. Ever. Dumars'll sign some guy like Joe Johnson.
  6. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

you might be right...but Thabeet, Stoudemire, Prince, Johnson, Stuckey is still a pretty good lineup, an NBA championship lineup perhaps.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was just listening to this rap song my friend did, and I was thinking,

"This is great. I really love tha beet".
  8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think Blake Griffin would more likely be there at the 3 or 4th pick. I don't know if I am sold on him as being a player to build around. Now if you aquire Bosh and then have Blake Griffin starting at PF then that might work out and would sure up the front line.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Every mock draft I've seen has Blake Griffin going #1.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not only was that incredibly cheesy, but you also had to make up a friend so that you could use that line. Sad.
  11. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You beat me to it Jammer, so very corny. Shame on you, Roscoe.
  12. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Blake Griffin might be the biggest slam dunk at #1 in history in this pansy draft.

You know, other than Lebron James.
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

[​IMG]
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Since Jammer was permanently banned, Darth and I never talk about tha beet anymore.

I'm listening to Tin Machine right now. They do a cover of John Lennon's "Working Class Hero" on their first album. If you recall, Lennon's first fame came as a member of ThaBeet-les.

Oh well, back to work. Thabeet goes on.
  15. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

rubio might challenge griff - fyi.
  16. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

No way Griffin goes anything but #1. He's a lock at #1. He's easily the best player coming out this year. Thabeet is going to be a huge bust too. Watch him play he's soft and he just flat out sucks. The only good thing about him is he's tall other that he's raw as can be. The final four game he played in was pathetic...I truly feel sorry for the team who picks that guy up in the top 5 because he has bust written all over him. Darko #2 anyone?
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm not sold on Griffin. After he adjusts to the NBA, I see him as little more than a poor man's David Lee.
  18. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

We have to make a move for Chris Bosh, players such as Boozer or Ben Gordon will not help us in the longterm.
  19. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

The key to rebuilding is to get players in that have Piston's DNA. Also don't go for any more old dudes or fading superstars. After watching the Nuggets pretty much just dominate the Mavericks if I was Dumars I would sign the "Birdman" to a contract in a heartbeat. Look at that guy he looks like someone that would be on the all prison rec league not a professional basketball player but what a talent. Why can't Amir be more like him and just swoop in and board and swat shots and score a little bit around the basket?

Throwing money at players isn't the answer to rebuilding you need to have players with heart, desire and willing to play team ball.

Not to throw a blanket on anyone's party but Ricky Rubio is a very exciting flashy player but he has no outside shot to speak of but he sure does play pretty. He reminds me of Jason Williams and a little of Pistol Pete Maravich which is a compliment but these guys did not make their teams champions. They are crowd pleasers but just because you can make a spectacular pass to your teammate doesn't mean the boring pass counts any less once a basket is made. Coaches hate hot dog players but the fans love them because they are fun to watch. Rubio will be very popular but I don't see him as an impact player and he definitely does not have Piston DNA coursing through his teen heartthrob good looks body.
  20. CarlosGallan

Rubio is a defender,is a fluid penetrator and his better skill is make offensive team play easy.
    His weaks all must improve in future. His shoot witn 18 / 19 years old only will improve. His body of boy of 1,90 cm will be stronger only,see pau gasol firs year and now.
    Is a figther like Rudy fernandez who is been playind all his short career in spain in a good team but no a contender team,he play agresssive in defense,just like pistons fans want. he will make our colapsed offensive game very easy. Reminds me Jason Kidd,but he has many years to improve his shot.
    Is better option than thabeet,one good player for a long career,unless his firs year will be tougth.
    All european players make a first year difficult,in europe you play 34 games regular seasson +play off+ europeans international competitions + copa del rey,normaly no more than 50/60 games elite teams who play all competitions till the end. Are less games than nba,that´s cause first year is very difficult.
    Rubio,Thabeet or the option we have(earl clark like SF),detroit need high picks this and next year,only money and Free agents don´t give a championship.