Here's what I don't get...From 2005 on...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 23, 2009.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

lets go back to the 2004/2005 season...the one where we lost to the Spurs in the finals.

The starting lineup: ben, sheed, tay, rip, chauncey. It was the season where 4 of these guys were put in the all-star game (got big heads, and thought they didn't have to outwork anybody anymore). More importantly, it was the season that rasheed decided he was no longer interested in being a low-post player...

Joe kicked off the post-season summer by firing Larry Brown over something stupid - a mistake, as we all know. But no one talks about his other mistake: sending the SAME, NEARLY nba-championship caliber roster into season after season for a three or four year stretch. Chauncey, rip, tay, even dyess (considering his injuries)...these guys were all playing prime bball. Old ladies at the palace could see what was wrong with the pistons - we didnt have an inside scoring presence.

But Joe never felt the need to seriously look for an upgrade to the roster until last summer? Why? How much of a difference would a guy like Bosh/Mare/Kaman/zach Randolph etc..had made three or four years ago!? Sheed wasn't the player we had traded for in 2004, it was clear. Why did we sit patiently with an ALMOST championship caliber team in its prime for 3 or 4 yrs!?
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It was the following year, 05-06 aka Flip's first year, that 4 guys made the All Star team.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And being one of the four best teams in the league, one of the two best in '05, make it pretty hard to do much tinkering. Getting from one of the four best to the champion can happen if one team is clearly superior (as I think the Lakers were this year or Boston last year), but most often happens when a really good team gets on a roll and carries it through.
  4. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Because Joe obviously felt he could compete with that team, while being a little cheap due to the late Mr. Davidson's request of not spending too much money.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    How about not having a coach that could push the players?
  6. StanFromTheD

StanFromTheD Second Round Draft Pick

Blue,
    Great Post!

Joe had no choice but to fire LB. He basically forced his way out.
    Everyone knows he had his eye on the NY job. Look how that turned out.

I do agree with you about your point about a big man. Every championship team in resent history (out side of MJ's Bulls) has had a Good to Dominant big. But this team had talent and chemistry. That is probably the biggest reason Joe kept it together. This team could have would have 3 straight. We were a Robert Horry triple away from repeating.

Another reason that you eluded to was the economics. Ben outplayed his contract. We got Sheed for a basically nothing in a trade. Tay was on his first rookie contract. Rip and Chauncey both had mid level contracts.

Sheed should have been that dominant post player. He is basically the same age as KG and Tim Duncan. You can still count on them to 20-10.
    His skill set matches both of them easy
    Sheed has never averaged 20-10 in a season.
    But he has turned into a aging slow 7-foot shooting guard.
  7. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

The thing that scares me the most is how small the window of opportunity is in the NBA. We had it open for several years, but only capitalized once. As a result, how long will we have to wait for another run? It took about 14 years between our championships last time.

Rebuilding is not going to be easy. The summer has arrived, and we have plenty of money and draft picks. However, this is one of the worst combinations of draft talent and free agent talent I can remember.

What if we wait till 2010? I don’t know if that will make it better? Will anyone really leave to come to Detroit? I am not sure we can draw a real superstar here through free agency. If they want to go to a team that sucks, they will chose a bigger market like NY. At least they got a good coach.

In my opinion, taking advantage of teams in financial straps is the only way. Get on the phone with NO, PHX, UT etc. We also might have to take a gamble on a free agent like Boozer (health) Millsap (Potential bust) we are going to need some luck to get back to the elite. I just hope we don't have to go through the teal years again!
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd say that 14 years is about twice as good as the expected wait, since there are 30 teams in the league all trying to win the same Championship.

If it wasn't difficult, then it wouldn't be worth doing.
  9. max

max All-Star

They actually won 54 games once in 1996. After that it was a lot of bad mistakes and lost opportunities.

Another big mistake in the waiting would be to hold out for 2010. Historically stars do not leave their teams and if they do its probably not going to be to come here.

I totally agree that right now is a good time with a lot of teams willing to deal. 1 month from now could be a totally different story with the Pistons.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

People aren't going to just give you a young franchise player like Bosh. The biggest error was drafting Darko. Everything else is easy to %%%%% about but you don't just go to the store and pick up A grade talent for a buck fifty.

The chemistry thing is also a big deal as the Iverson Billups swap showed.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep, just ask Boston.

Thinking that way does provide a difference perspective on what the Pistons organization accomplished the past six years, and how difficult that was to manage. If any free agent brought in after '05 or any rookie could have really bloomed (other than Stuckey - too little too late), there could easily have been another title, maybe even two. But they didn't get lucky and a pretty amazing run gets discounted.