Here's where things stand - - - going into wednesday

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 24, 2009.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

There's a lot of moves that are going to be made in the next two days...so lets take an objective look at just where we stand, and at just what could happen:

Team: Right now, there are seven to eight players under contract depending on whether or not Kwame opts out (I can't imagine that he thinks he earned a bigger contract with his play this season).

C: K. Brown?
    PF: J. Maxiel
    SF: T. Prince, W. Sharpe
    SG: R. Hamilton, A. Afflalo
    PG: R. Stuckey, W. Bynum

Draft: Dumars has said that he is going to select an 'immediate contributor to the rotation' with the #15 pick, and it sure sounds like he's aiming to grab some euro-ball-bound raw projects in the second round. So, if the BJ Mullens promise is true, then we'd be drafting him in order to trade him to another team. Beyond that, there are some elite point guards (Jrue Holliday being the most likely) that could slip, and some solid SF's (Earl Clark, Austin Daye, etc.), but that's about it. I do not think that any of the power forwards (James Blair, Psycho-T, etc.) that are going to be available to us at this point are going to be improvements over our current backup, Jason Maxiel (thus, they would not be immediate contributors to the rotation). Its also true that some of the point guards we're considering might not be improvements over our current backup at that position either, Will Bynum, but because there seems to be a strong possibility that Rip will be traded or moved to the three...rodney could be moved to the two, and a backup point could be needed.

Free Agency: The top free agent targets this off-season appear to be Carlos Boozer/Paul Millsap at power forward (depending on what happens in utah), and Ben Gordon at shooting guard. Signing one of the power forwards makes sense (as Jason Maxiel is not a starting caliber PF), but as things stand, signing Ben Gordon does not. Even if Rip Hamilton COULD play the three, Tayshaun Prince couldn't play the four. So that signing would require one of these two to be traded. Though many have mentioned Hedo Turkoglu, Marvin Williams, and Ramon Sessions, we have yet to hear much about us being interested in them (or vice versa).

Trades: There is so much that could happen. Obviously, Tayshaun Prince and/or Rip Hamilton will be at the center of any significant deal. The #15 overall pick (or whomever we select there) could be included. Role players such as Max, AA, Bynum, Sharpe and Kwame (if he doesnt opt out) could also be included.
    - There's a need at center, and no suitable players available in free agency or the draft, so that's an obvious position to look at (al jefferson? brook lopez? amare stoudemire? tyson chandler? etc.).
    - There's also obviously a need at power forward, and though there should be at least one suitable replacement there in free agency (but none in the draft...if you're asking me), with a stud like Chris Bosh being floated out there, or a possible cheap alternative in Charlie Villanueva, this is also possible.
    - Tayshaun Prince has really been struggling, so we could upgrade there through a trade. There are going to be some solid small-forwards in the draft, but none of these guys look like season1 starters to me. Hedo Turkoglu's an URFA, and Marvin Williams is a RFA, but we haven't heard much about either. Josh Smith rumors out there? Something to think about.
    - Rip's in more or less the same boat as Tay. He's still playing well, but he's old, and expected to get worse. Ben Gordon might be a suitable replacement via the market. I don't think any starting caliber two-guards are going to be available in the draft. I haven't heard of any sweet shooting guards being on the block. I suppose joe-d could pull a surprise shooting guard out of nowhere, but it'd be about the least likely position to do so.
    - Stuckey's really the center piece here right now (sadly?), but he could play off-guard as well, so there's the possibility of a trade for a point guard. Not much really available via free agency (Ramon Sessions? really). Might be able to get a steal like Jrue Holliday in the draft. The only real cool point i've heard in trade talks is rondo. Maybe we pull something off for him?? Next to shooting guard, point guard is probably the least likely position we'll trade for.
  2. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I think Blair could very well be available, simply due to his size.

I love his game though. He's a football player with a basketball player's skillset.
  3. blueadams

Like I said, I do not think that he is an upgrade over Jason Maxiel.
  4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I think so too. The Pistons can only horde so many undersized PFs.
  5. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Draft a B.J. Mullens type of player or give me a shovel to dig Joe Dumars' grave with. He's dead to me if he doesn't swing for the fences in this crap-draft. Might as well. Earl Clark talks like a fourth-grader who needs his medicine and Austin Daye is a giant J.J. Redick. James Johnson is Jason Maxiell but a whole lot less freakishly athletic/gifted. This draft is full of Amir Johnson's.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

escellent analysis, blueadams, I appreciate posts like this one
  7. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

On second thought, trade the pick. Luke Nevill destroyed Mullens in a workout. Destroyed.
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like Blair too. The only reason he will drop is because of his two ACL surgeries? which is a big concern for some teams. He is only 6'8" but plays above the rim with that 7'3" wingspan.

I also like James Johnson and Earl Clark.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe doesn't do side by sides.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Quote from the Pistons director of player personnel, George David:

This guy's memory doesn't go back 6 years? That is scary.

Also, a quote from Curry today...
    I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. They better get Bosh or similar.
  11. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I DO feel he would be an upgrade over Maxiel in the rebound department.
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

______________ would be an upgrade over Maxiel in the rebound department.
  13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Marla Gibbs?

DING DING DING DING!!!!!

:pound:
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You mean my cousin Marla...she could rebound back in the day....
    [​IMG]
  15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Serious?

I love her!

Does she want to come out of retirement? LOL! :pound:
  16. blueadams

a big jj reddick sounds pretty darn good to me.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    So much that could go wrong... How about RFA David Lee for a PF position? Would he be an upgrade over Maxiell?
  18. blueadams

sure, not much though.
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Say what?

per 48 minutes - DL vs JM

points - 22.0 vs 15.4
    boards - 16.1 vs 11.1
    assists - 2.9 vs 0.8

Lee shoots 0.549 and 0.755
    Max shoots 0.575 and 0.532

That's a pretty significant upgrade.
  20. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

I admit I don't really follow college basketball all that much. What's the knock against Tyler Hansbrough?

I know, I know, another 'undersized PF', but he's listed at 6'9" and 230 lbs. Maxiell is listed at 6'7"/260 and David Lee is listed at 6'9"/250.

Strengths/Weaknesses highlights from DraftExpress...

Strengths:
    - Ability to get to free throw line
    - Likes to mix it up inside
    - Back to basket scoring
    - Excellent Touch
    - Footwork/Post-moves
    - Commitment to playing defense
    - Aggressiveness
    - Competitiveness
    - Strong Intangibles
    - Winning mentality
    - Work ethic
    - Free throw shooting

Weaknesses:
    - Stuck between 4 and 5
    - Ball-handling skills
    - Man amongst boys?
    - Ability to defend position at next level?
    - Defensive potential
    - Lateral quickness
    - Potential
    - Older than class peers
    - Passing out of post
    - Explosiveness
    - Size for position
    - Undersized
    - Wingspan

At least with Hansbrough you know you're getting a player who's consistently played at the highest level available to date (NCAA tourneys), is intense and works hard, and played 4 years in an elite college program. He should be NBA-ready mentally. He averaged 20 points / 8 rebounds last year.

How is "man amongst boys" a weakness? He was playing in the ACC, which I believe is considered one of the powerhouse college conferences, right? Isn't this a sign that he's ready for the next level?

Also, I realize he's not 19 but really who cares? I'd rather see JoeD draft a 23-yr-old guy who's ready to play than go through another Amir experiment.