1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Hollinger's take on the upcoming season for the Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MJO77, Sep 28, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well Hollinger was right about one thing.

This team is more offensive than last year's. People are very offended by the product Joe is putting on the court. lol

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oh, I was thinking that he was much more negative about our prospects. That is actually pretty optimistic, predicting a playoff appearance and basically staying as good as we were last year.

I guess the injuries throw everything out of whack and there was no predicting the 100 games or so that our good players missed.

His prediction on the pace seemed to be based on "it can't get much slower", but it did a little. Again, probably because we had so many games without any real offensive firepower besides Stuckey.

3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Sadly, our offense hasn't been any better with a fully healthy team.

4. max

max All-Star

I think the man's the best analyst of all time if he predicted all the injures that lead to all the inconsistent rotations this year.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Go ahead and admit it: what you really can get over is that Hollinger has all that Mad Men staff working for him.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How about the defense??? Gave up 92 and 93 points to the worst team in the league Nets and 107 points to the 8th worst team in the Pacers.

Leaving guys wide open for threes and letting other players waltz right in for easy layups and put backs.

Now that they are all back can they practice a little defense....maybe a scrimmage with the Spartans would help??

7. Brap

Brap Starter

Hollinger can go suck eggs.

Tonight's game against the Bucks shows a team (us) with a future. Obviously, we've got great guards when healthy. For all the talk about Jennings, Stuckey is a far better player. Jennings will never never never be able to defend Stuckey. And obviously, when healthy, Ben, Rip and Bynum can all play at a very high level. Up front we really just need normal development, as well as to make good acquisitions. Jerebko is clearly going to be a high quality player. CV is the guy on this squad I have serious questions about - but if he can't get it done, I have great confidence and hope for Daye, and even Summers. And Maxiell is showing me something as a backup big guy off the bench - 15 to 20 minutes a game, and he can excel in that role.

So, while we do need big men, most of the big men we need are guys on our roster already who just need to get stronger and keep developing. We need one more player other than who we've got -- a big guy, Bogut quality center, and then we'll really have something. If Tay and Rip can be traded intelligently, we could well put ourselves in position to be really good.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It has been a lot more fun watching Stuckey since our guys are getting healthy and involved. He's not been playing the point much, but they have been sharing the "point" position between Stuck, Rip, and Tay when he's out there. It's not traditional, but it does allow us to pick on the other team's PG on defense and isolate them. The Bucks announcers went on and on about how difficult it was for them to stop Stuck and Gordon at the same time.

Bogut is a big dude. Would be nice to have a center like him.

Stuck/Gordon/Jerebko/Wallace/Bogut would be an interesting lineup.

9. Brap

Brap Starter

Yeah, I really like having a big point like Stuckey. In a couple years - and it'll take us a couple years (and, hopefully, only a couple years) to get back to top-team status, Stuckey could turn out as well as Chauncey turned out.

I think the traditional pg angle has been way overplayed by commentators and forum posters. If we pair Stuckey with other guys who can initiate offenses, such as Daye down the road, or maybe Turner or Wall, and we develop a team that can share the PG load and look for mismatches the way you just described, I see no reason why that is inferior to having a traditional pg dominated offense. Hell, a lot of the best team don't even use PG's - LA and Cleveland come to mind.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Jordan-era Bulls as well.

Kobe/Lebron/Jordan... and Stuckey?

Let's hope.

11. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I see a team with a future...not a successful one though. This team is at a point where to many things have to go perfectly for things to fall in place as a respected team again. I just think this is a transition year. A great draft pick and an smart trade could put this team back on track.

12. pass99

13. Brap

Brap Starter

I continue to believe that Stuckey can be a better player than Chauncey became -- he's more physicaly gifted, and I think he's got great aptitude for the game, and is supposedly a very hard worker. A guy who is better than Chauncey as a PG is as elite a PG as there is in the league. He's not Chris Paul in terms of style, but instead of a control the ball style, where Paul makes every pass directly leading to a score, Stuckey is facilitating the offense and looking for his own opportunities to dominate.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's just really tough to ever get that .600+ total shooting efficiency without having a deep ball. Stuck will never have Chauncey's 3-point stroke.

And I doublt Stuck will ever get to the line more that he does right now, and CB beats him there too... even at his old age.

Leadership?

I dunno.

15. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think Stuck can develop the three ball. He is really only in his third year. How long did it take Rip to develop that shot and Rip's main goal while on the floor is to score as many points as he can? Stuck will develop that shot but he has other things he needs to work on as well. If we can see an improvement year to year I would be happy. I think we have seen improvement this year as it has gone along. That's all we can ask for.

I still think he does not get the respect of the officials that he deserves. This will come with years of service and he will get to the line more as his game develops.

Still unsure of the leadership quality. As his confidence groes and the roster becomes more solidified I think he will mature into that leader on the floor.

16. pass99

Well, you do know and you are correct on all accounts. Not much fun, is it?