1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Hondo's sources review and rate our draft

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Ozarkruffrider, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

- » 2008 Lions Draft Evaluation:

2008 Lions Draft Evaluation:

By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
    Four of my friends who are NFL scouts (or personnel people) agreed to give me their assessment of the Lions draft. They represent four different teams. I first put their list up several weeks ago about the top twenty players and then their mock drafts. This list is simply their thoughts and grades on the Lions 2008 draft.
    I only had them evaluate the first five picks. Later than that very well may make the team, but the top five for any team to succeed have to make impact and to be respectful of their time we kept with those five young men.
    I will keep each of their identities confidential as you can imagine that their respective teams wouldn’t appreciate their participation in this endeavor. All I asked from them was that they give me their thoughts and grades. I asked each of them to make give their opinion of the players and I will post one of their comments on each pick. I asked each of them to grade the pick based upon player talent and Lions needs. I also asked them to grade the overall draft based upon those first five picks.
    This list is not my opinion. It is simply four men who get paid to do this for a living and who scouted these players and what they think. Here it is:
    #1 17th Overall Gosder “GOZ” Cherilus OT Boston College
    Scout 1: “This was a very solid pick of the Lions. When they made the trade with the Chiefs we called this in our war room. We looked hard at Gosder and we really liked him. He is a street fighter with a mean streak to match. We felt he was (behind Jake Long) the best zone blocking OT in this draft. We also loved his durability and that fact that he loves to practice. It was no secret that Lions had to address the T situation and when Long went #1 we felt that the Lions would go with this kid. He fits what they want to do big time. If I was a Lions employee the only player we could have gotten better for our needs would have been Jake (Long) and that wasn’t going to happen without giving away the farm and they had too many needs to do that. When you (Hondo) told me that they want to keep him at RT that made me laugh. As soon as he (GOZ) is ready, Backus will move. He is to good to keep on the right once he gets the NFL game. He certainly will be a major upgrade from Backus on the right ”
    Grades:
    Scout 1: A
    Scout 2: B-
    Scout 3: B
    Scout 4: B+
    #2 45th Overall Jordon Dyzon MLB Colorado
    Scout 3: “We really liked him. We spent a lot of time with him. Everywhere we looked and everyone we talked to praised this kid for his love of the game and work ethic. I think one thing that has hurt the Lions in the past is that they had a lot of players with talent and very few with passion. That is changing and this is an immediate upgrade also. We had some concerns with his size, but we also felt that way about Ernie (Sims) and look how that worked out. With all of the tape we watched one thing we kept coming back to is that he never has bad technique. One Colorado football employee told us that they had to tell him to leave on more than one occasion because he eats and sleeps football. We had him on our board and would have taken him in the second, but the Lions got him. I think this pick has the most upside of the Lions picks.”
    Grades:
    Scout 1: B
    Scout 2: C- “Way to early for this pick. If he works out it was the right move.”
    Scout 3: B+
    #3 64th Overall Kevin Smith RB Central Florida
    Scout 2: “We wanted to move up with Miami to get him, and the Lions pulled the trigger early. We liked how he did everything. We had some concerns with his durability. Not because he isn’t tough, but with his style how long can he absorbs that many hits? We were a little turned off with his ego, but do you want the guy carrying the rock to be timid? We thought he was a bottom half of the second round guy so where they got his was a great place. If he can stay healthy (and he has never shown that he can’t) playing the NFL game, the Lions got a very good back.”
    Grades:
    Scout 1: B+
    Scout 2: B+
    #4 87th Overall Andre Fluellen DT Florida State
    Scout 1: “The swearing in our war room would have made any sailor smile when the Lions took FLU. We loved this kid and we wanted him. I don’t think anyone spent more time on this kid then we did leading up. We had a guy that fell in the second round that really fit a need bad and we had to take him. We were sitting there and we figured if he got past the Leo’s we would move up and nail him. This kid was injured last year, but every test and DOC told us he was recovered. He isn’t fat like Rogers, but he has the heart and motor that he lacked also. His hands are what impressed us so much. He is able to shed those big OL meat hooks and get off the block so well. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a starter for the Lions in 2008, but one thing I can tell you is that he loves to practice, lift and play and there is no way this kid stays out of the playing rotation.”
    Grades:
    Scout 1: B+
    Scout 2: B
    Scout 4: B
    #5 92nd Overall Cliff Avril DE
    Scout 4: “We thought he was an OLB prospect. We thought he was more of a5thround guy on our board. This was a reach to us. There were some other guys on the board at DE that we thought were better prospects. He has a high motor and likes to play the game, but just way too big of a reach for us in the 3rd. I think that he is a good player, but we felt his technique was better suited for an OLB. He has a great first step and we felt it was better standing than down. If he is able to make the move to DE and play at this level the Lions got a very good pick, player and person. I just think there were some other guys that were more solid and sure and drafting in the 3rd you want to limit your risk as much as possible.”Grades:
    Scout 1: C
    Scout 2: C+
    Scout 3: C
    Scout 4: C-
    I asked all four to grade the Lions overall draft as a total entity and here is what they gave them:
    Scout 1 Total Draft Grade: B
    Scout 2 Total Draft Grade: B-
    Scout 3 Total Draft Grade: B-
    Scout 4 Total Draft Grade: B-

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thanks Zark, saved me a lot of surfing.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good stuff. Encouraging...

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    There are lots of reviews of this draft from A to D. Only time will show how it all plays out. But my hope is that even the blind squirrel gets the nut once in a while...

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If you ask me the Lions were off in their own world. Millens history isn't good enough to ignore the concensus selections. But maybe one of those 3rd rounders will come thru.

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

When American Motors developed the Pacer, Did anybody really think they saved their fortunes? When Stroh's bought Schlitz, how many of us were trading in our Budweiser stock? Millen and Marenilli appear to be on their last legs. The Lions have followed the path of misfortune again. The draft really sank my spirits. I will have some hope because I'd like to trust Ozark... Go Lions...