Hoping for a lottery pick is pointless

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

[​IMG]

THE FRANCHISE PLAYER!
  2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, Technically, Kobe wasn't their pick, but they traded for him before he played an NBA game. They did also drafted Bynum.

Fact is, teams are generally built around draft picks. Not around free agent pick-ups.
  3. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Fall asleep on the bench.

...the year isn't over yet though.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree...he has been a big disappointment in that regard.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, you can't even say he is meeting our expectations by sleeping on the job.

What odds would you lay that Sharpe is in the NBA in 4 years?
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What is the point in drafting a player like Sharpe? Why not just trade the pick for a future pick?
  8. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Joe thought Sharpe was one of those guys who were in the draft but didn't belong because of bad health and academic history. Sharpe could have probably been in a better draft position had he played more in college.

With that said, I'm not sure if Sharpe was talent in the draft at the wrong time with unfavorable circumstances. My instincts tell me if he was a talented player then he would probably be playing. I have never seen him play.

Definitely would like to see him in garbage time backing Tay versus Hermann.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would be careful to assume anything logical from our staff. Sharpe might be the best player in the World for all we know.

What a perfect year for a backup SF to get some minutes. We have virtually no backup for Tay. We are terrible. There has been lots of GT because we've been behind so often.
  10. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

11. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Walter Sharpe ain't the best SF in the world, the guy can't even play games for his college team. I feels like it was all Flip Saunders drafting it seems.

It's just another case of Joe Dumars being wow'ed by his workout/tryout and ending up loving it too much. Reminds me about Darko pick.

Good thing Seattle/OKC wanted to trade up for DJ White because Sharpe would then have had a guaranteed contract.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute was still there...if he wanted a small forward. Not to mention people already seen what Luc can do from playing in UCLA. Not to mention was known for his defense. Pistons Identify?
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If a player needs to develop, then why the heck would we want them here? We don't develop guys like him. If we are interested in having him on the team in 3 years, then let the Clippers draft him and grab him when his first contract is up.
  13. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I see that on Hollinger's playoff odds page we have a better chance of winning the draft lottery (7/1000) than of winning the title (1/1000). I say let's be realistic, and go with the odds.:yellowprison:

John Hollinger's NBA Playoff Odds - ESPN
  14. max

max All-Star

We are in the 7th seed. I game ahead of Milw and 2 games ahead of Chic and New Jersey who are tied for #8. NY is 3.5 games behind.

With the schedule lightening up after the next 3 games it seems likely that the Pistons will win enough games to at least get the #8 seed.

I think the only way that we could lose enough is if they cut AI, Seed and Dyess. Or 2 of the 3. Probably not going to happen.

We are in this together. Pistons are going to make the playoffs and we have to hope that they can pull off a huge upset. Has a sub .500 team ever been in the Finals? I still do expect the Pistons to finish above .500 though.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But we will be more likely to attract FA's as a playoff loser than a team that didn't even make it, right?
  16. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Of course. I was being facetious. I'm not really arguing for tanking (if only because I agree with max that we probably couldn't tank successfully). I was just using the comparative odds observation as a way (self-amusing) of noting how we are sliding down the scale.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's like suicide checkers trying to get out of the playoff race. You think you're tanking pretty hard, but there are much more experienced tankers out there faking injuries, taking horrible shots, playing their Walter Sharpe's. Tough to compete with those teams when the race for the bottom gets tight. We just have too much self respect to play that game the way it needs to be played.
  18. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Just play the youngsters :)