Home Houston Rockets Saturday, December 21, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Houston Rockets

Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit Plus
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Just last night, the Rockets suffered a humiliating loss to the Indiana Pacers (a team, mind you, that the Detroit Pistons recently dispatched with ease). Look for them to attempt to avenge their loss with a strong effort against the Pistons, fresh off of a disappointing loss of their own.

GO PISTONS!!!

3. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Stuckey will be back in the line-up after missing 2 games.
    No Harden and Lin for the Rockets.

This game will be a real test for Drummond, as Rockets will run the offense thru Howard now when Harden is out.
    W for the Pistons, 103 - 91

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets start with Singler. Plus 7 at shooting guard tonight. Plus 2 when in for a moment at power forward.

But he was minus 1 for the game. Because, as a small forward, he was minus 10 in this one. He garnered 2 rebounds. About the only time he did anything to help our front line defense, it was actually while in as a shooting guard.

Options? We only played Harrellson 3 minutes. Monroe was played short minutes, and so was Smith, despite, combined, they had 29 points and 17 rebounds. We had plenty of options besides playing Singler as part of our front line. PS, Mitchall was dressed too. Also, we put Pope there a lot at small forward, he did very little of any good there.

Jennings did not help the cause with his 1-9 shooting at one point. Hmm, I see he finished at 2 - 11. At least he got 10 assists to just one turn.

Bynum did make some shots, and did get the ball to Drums for a dunk once. On defense, not good, but his play is certainly not why we lost this one.

Datome came in and made some shots. But on defense? Not much there. Note, we were making him play power forward. Perhaps he might have done some good at small forward.

Stuck made some shots, but was used all wrong, at shooting guard. Never as a point. So he really is just a fifth wheel when in for the most part.

CV played a bit, made some shots. But we need defense. Note, Mitchell plays defense. Perhaps we should give him a try when more defense is needed. Just a guess.

Watching the coach leave the sub unit the whole fourth makes me wonder just what his priorities are. To me, playing Singler seems his number one priority, not winning. Just what I am seeing. Dissenting opinions quite welcome.

Cleveland up next. I just watched a couple of Cleveland games. Their defense can be impressive. Bynum show signs of rounding into form. Irving in his last game was very impressive on his outside shooting, and of course, he is lighting quick. Should be quite a game.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Out on a date with wife again:ballchain: took a couple of peeks at the game during the 4th see if there was any chance we had a chance for a comeback....Saw Jennings get tossed and Pope miss an alley oop from bynum.
    well..another 100 plus defense...another home loss....good thing the next couple of games are on the road where we might win something.

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons were never in this one even though Houston did not have Harden. Andre and the whole team were rolled over by Howard. Andre has a ways to go with his on the ball work. Howard, who is no Shaq, took him apart. It will take some time. Andre will get stronger and wiser...

At 30 games some comments.

The Pistons are still a very thin team. There is just not enough shooting or quality players coming off the bench.

The Pistons are still very young and inexperienced. The team is starting a rookie at shooting guard. Andre is coming but needs time. Monroe still has room for improvement.

Josh has been solid and he has toned down his game.

Jennings has been ok. Not sure is his ceiling is high enough for the long term-- but maybe it is. But for sure, the Pistons need a legitimate back up guard.

Stuckey, as good as he has played, may not be the right guy for this team in that he doesn't bring enough shooting range into the mix.

The Pistons still need another quality player regardless and stronger role players.

Despite the wholes in personnel, there is a lot of talent on this team and the upside is very high. Not sure this is the right coach for the next two years. Why the hesitation? You just get a feeling that the team can't stop runs and has trouble with crunch time offense because no system has been put in place at either end. Young teams need direction. There is way too much guard penetration by the opposition on defense, not enough closing out on shooters and way too little motion in the offense. Yes, the Pistons have weak exterior defenders and yes, the Pistons lack shooters and the guard play varies in quality too much on offense, but too often it looks like there is no plan out there. During games, there doesn't seem to have been a lot of preparation for the opposition and not much in game adjustment.

Of course, personnel issues and youth may be more of a reason than coaching--hard to tell when there are so many little things going on.

Lee356 likes this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Pitiful. Still hanging their heads from last night. The talent is there....maybe, I have some serious doubts about Greg Monroe. This team needs a lance Stephenson type of player in the worst way- a SG or SF who can handle the ball, play defense and make a shot, KCP is a very bad ball handler right now, you won't notice it in the box score but when you watch the game he's TERRIFIED to put the ball on the floor.....I guess THIS team really does need Rodney Stuckey.

The worst player tonight IMO was Andre Drummond, Howard reached into the kids chest and snatched his heart right out of it. It's still amazing that what we thought would be a a strength is really one of our greatest weaknesses....our frontline defense. All 3 of them are just terrible in every facet of defense....don't get fooled by the block shots and steals, these guys struggle to defend their position, can't guard the pick and roll, and almost NEVER rotate, especially out to a shooter.

Cheecks has his work cut out for him.

brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Funny, watching Drummond take on the responsibility of trying to guard Howard 1 on 1 with no help really made me go back in time and appreciate Ben Wallace. Drummond clearly started pouting and IMO stopped even doing anything that looked remotely close to playing defense....but remember that Big Ben (at 6'8") guarded Shaq 1 on 1 for an entire playoff series 2 years in a row!!! Comparing that, to the white flag that Drummond waved tonight.......let me stop there, because it's not even a fair comparison.

brofmfa and linwood like this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still sour from last night.

Did Cheecks think it was unfair to play Drummond, Monroe and Smith together against Howard? It seemed it was mostly Drummond alone or Monroe/Smith. Maybe making the Rockets have to bang against the big Pistons for the whole game would have worn them out?

I forgot what a big-time player Howard was/is. He was into the game from the start and beat the entire Pistons front court by himself.

Drummond at least took on the responsibility of covering Howard 1 on 1. They doubled when it was the other guys covering him.

How old was Ben when he was battling Shaq, 21 or 22 at least?

brofmfa likes this.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I acknowledged it was an unfair comparison.......but please don't make excuses for his play tonight. He stunk. In time he'll learn, but tonight he stunk!

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

I disagree. He went against a monster who was motivated to play and got his man to man D exposed.

He competed. He did not quit.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

After getting buried by Howard in the post (like everyone who tried to cover him 1 on 1) in the first half, Drummond adjusted and poked the ball away from him a few times later in the game.

That's may not be good enough, but it's more than anyone else did with him.

If he's going to struggle I'm glad against an All League guy and not Josh McRoberts.

13. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Drummond v Howard has been a matchup I've been wanting to see since last year so so i'll try to break it down here:

1st quarter- Drummond held his own against Howard, he actually blocked Howard on their first 1 on 1 series. Howard tried to use his strength against Drummond but it didn't work as Drummond stymied him when he tried to back him down.

2nd quarter-Howard gave Drummond a clinic in the post in this quarter. Drummond really had trouble against Howard's hook shot and he fell for the pump fakes. It looks like he's relying too much on his athleticism rather than focusing on fundamentals on defense.

3rd quarter- Didn't see much of Drummond this quarter as he picked up his fourth foul.

4th quarter- Andre looked better as he started to adjust to Howard. He poked the ball away a few and slowed down Dwight Howard a little.

Conclusion:

At 20 years old , Andre has monster potential on the defensive end but he did get outplayed by Howard tonight as his inexperience showed. However, remember this is the first time they've ever matched up against each other so Dre' is not familiar with Howard's tendencies and strength. Much like he did in the second half, I expect him to make adjustments and play better the next time they play against each other. He needs to come back to fundamentals and just keep those hands up and maintain his ground instead of jumping and trying to swat every shot.

Ernie the Slow Adult and brofmfa like this.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Howard taught Andre a lesson yesterday but there is not a player in the league who can guard Howard one on one when he's on. He looked alot like the guy who carried Bynum, Daye, Chaz and Singler to the finals.

Jorts was also taught a valuable lesson - if you go on a run of several good games you might lose your spot to a guy who's cut from the Dominican national team.

linwood and basketbills like this.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He poked the ball away? Really? That's how we're measuring defense? 85% of post defense is positioning and ball denial. The fact that Andre allowed Howard to catch the ball wherever he wanted and never fought him for real estate told me that he quit. Game after game I find myself screaming at the TV, "DO YOUR WORK EARLY!!!!" Him and Monroe allow guys to post up way too easily for my liking. Dre has potential, but the last 2 games has shown he has so far to go.

linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Joggernaught didn't have the best of games but he might be one of my top 3 favorite Pistons right now! He's pretty fun to watch when he comes off the bench to perform his bull in a china shop routine.

17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Siva should have suited up for this one. I'd like to see him on Howard. Probably have a +5 for the game.

At one point late in the game Chandler Parsons, who Greg Kelser compared to Connie Hawkins and Michael Jordan, got in Drummond's ear and said something that made him smile. I'm guessing some sympathy?

Harrellson must have been tired from his game against the Bobcats. He didn't get much pt in this one.

The bright spot? Datome looked very good, hitting shots, moving well and active on defense.

linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  18. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

True, Andre didn't play we'll today. Poking the ball away didn't really do much but you do what you can to slow down a player like Howard. Good news is that we have Rasheed on our side to teach Dre'. Remember when he used to shut down Howard all the time? He was even donned as "the kryptonite to superman" at one point. Heck, even Doc Rivers signed him as a FA because of it.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

What about the 45 3 pointers the Rockets hit while Howard was being covered 1 on 1?

I had nightmares about Will Bynum futilely trying to contest Chandler Parsons jumpers. For the troops who may have missed the game, Bynum was just too short to offer even a token resistance.

KGREG likes this.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Get this guy the heck out of here! Can he still be sent to the D league?

Don't change Dre and don't learn. I want you to keep doing things like you've always done (just like #10) so you'll be able to finish games and people will never question why.
    NBA vet Dwight Howard imparts wisdom unto eager acolyte Andre Drummond | The Detroit News