Home Houston Rockets Wednesday Oct 31 2012

Discussion in 'October 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I hope this wasn't real. The team was like jello on defense. Very weak down low. Houston players could set and reset down low. And no half court offense. Even that lead seemed like fool's gold and it was.

If this team is to move forward, Monroe especially, and Knight must now step up. It is Monroe's third year now and he should have dominated that Houston team. Hopefully, it is just a slow start like he had last year.

The team just does not seem to operate on either end in a flow with players knowing their roles like other NBA teams. Now, I must start looking at the coach.

Yes, it is hard to watch Bynum and Maxiel get so many minutes as both players are below the NBA average. And don't know what Tay really brings to help the team win. Hard to watch Stuckey and his drives.

But no excuses any more. The young players have to step up.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe's post moves are only to his left and he can't leave the floor. Makes it extremely hard for him to get a real attempt off against a lengthy center. Gotta get him high and use him like they do in the triangle where he can pass to cutters. That length J for him should be OK. His ability to get in position for rebounds is his best quality still and that shouldn't go away for another 10+ years. On D, once a guard gets past him at all, it's all over for him, since he can't block anything. He needs Drummond with him for that reason alone.

Knight- good and bad. He had some really nice stretches. Shot looks good. He needs to explore the defense a little more and do it patiently. He still has too much Stuckey in him (i.e. when he drives, there's no turning back).

Maxiell- played great. Looked highly energized. Should have been in at the end.

Stuck- 6 assists, 0 turnovers, and led the team in FT's. Just was missing. If he doesn't go 1-10, it would have been closer.

Prince- oh my God is this guy a boring bball player. He just need more positive emotion on the court to be likable. He's either flatlining or acting frustrated.

English- your +/- player of the game at +8. Who would have thought that he'd get so many minutes? His D looked good... very Afflalo like. His 3's went down. A really bad turnover for him at the end and a missed 3 will probably be all he thinks about for a day or so. Good first game by the guy though.

JJ/ Singler/ Bynum- all sort of did their thing. I agree that Singler's D looked really poor. Bynum got hot and then looked like a selfish player by heat checking like he he thought he was MJ or something. Still, this is a good game for him if he is contained by the coach. Notice that Frank did pull him after some sloppiness and gave him a little speech.

Drummond- not enough minutes to really tell. He was somewhat invisible after the bunny that Bynum served him.

Macro view- Pistons should have won this game. We were swarming on D for a full quarter and getting offensive contributions from a wide range of players. However, we let HOU back in and then let them stretch it out mainly with poor 3-point line defense. Would have been better to have a paint protector in there and have the defense cheat out a bit (maybe even go zone) to stop the 3-point onslaught. Delfino was 5-6 from deep and he was virtually unguarded.

I was really hoping to see Charlie V reestablish himself as one of the games premier 8th men, but it will have to wait.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This was a wild game to just pop in and out of repeatedly.

Just having a guy like Kenny English in the rotation makes this team much more interesting to me.

My apologies to James Harden for my critique of his games. He looked big time to me before I even knew what his stats were.

I thought the Pistons did a great job of making Asik look like a great signing.

The more time goes on the more prominent Jerebko's lack of a position seems to become. If Singler can be consistent then the Pistons will have 2 Jerebko's.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9 points, 1-10 from the field.

That's embarrassing from a starting NBA SG.

I am not comfortable with giving Stuckey a free pass at this point in his career. Like Tayshaun, everything about him projects "just happy to be collecting a paycheck".

That attitude is toxic if it infects the young guys.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tonight we started 5 of our own first round picks, who are all career Pistons.

It's hard to argue that Joe doesn't own the results from tonight.

Only 4 Pistons this season were not drafted by the Pistons organization.

Bynum, Maggette, Kravtsov, Villanueva. 3 of those 4 did not play tonight.

Nemo likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Looks like Hardin was a good addition after all.
    Jeremy Lin was +23 and Stuckey was -19........
    A nine point loss.......after all of PF was predicting an opening day win.
    Coach....and JD have some explaining to do.
    I just don't see us winning many games this year...unless things change.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

That's not fair, Joe would have made better picks if he had a better owner!

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

It seems really easy to confuse the Pistons when they're defending the pick and roll. Monroe looks like he legitimately can't decide what to do and gets caught halfway between the picker and the roller over and over.

This was an entertaining game, the parts I saw.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Looking on the positive side:

Drummond gets his first NBA hoop and it wasn't blocked by the rim.

Tayshaun had a successful pump fake....against Chandler Parsons...Blaha talks about his pump faking skills.

Singler and English looked promising.

Charlie and Daye...DNP

linwood, roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  10. max

max All-Star

Thats really something. We used to not have very many picks at all on the team during all those ECF runs. Tells me Joe is not doing enough wheeling and dealing.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'll give you 2 of the 5 starters need to not be starters anywhere anymore... but I'll argue that Prince is an NBA starter (maybe not here anymore... but he does still have starter stuff). Max is just keeping a spot warm till Drummond is ready.... and the more I read (hate being in scotland and not getting to watch with my own eyes) Stuckey may be on borrowed time holding off English.

We played 3 rookies last night, 1 2nd year player, and 2 3rd year players (if you don't count JJ's wasted injury year) thats alot of talent that needs time to grow and we get to watch it happen.

Folks were complaining English didn't finish last night, but one person commented he looked scared in the 4th at one point... maybe thats why he was pulled... with as many rookies were playing were going to have some really great nights when we win games we have no business winning and afraid we'll have nights where we get beat by team we should beat.

A general comment.... folks expect us to lose... so don't get so worked up over any one lose this year..... enjoy it as new favorites are created....

12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

We know why he stopped trading for a few years.... old news.... now we have two sorts of players on this team.

1. players that are young and going to get better (we don't want them traded.)

2 players that got to much burn and everybody knows there not worth anything (we want traded, but nobody will take them off our hands.)

The only player I can see having any trade value is really Prince, and maybe Bynum later in the year if a good team has a rash of injuries.

13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Absofreakinglutely! :clap2:

14. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

The bad thing: What you all are mentioning..

The good thing: CV and Daye DNP ...

I think that not a lot of you realize the true concept behind that... Back a few years the DNP would have been Drummond, English and Middleton no matter what they done in the pre-season.

It took 2 season guys, but we finally made it! CV and Daye DNP!!!

basketbills and coynejeremy like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, some of the pick-and-pops and flare screens they were using to get Delfino open made the Piston defenders look like completely baffled. It's like they were surprised that Delfino was shooting threes. HELLO!

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The reason he was 1-10 shooting was that he was actually shooting... which he's just not very good at. Asik was enforcing the no collision zone. Some of Stuck's FT's came on very generous calls by the refs too.

Keep in mind that if Frank decides to bring Stuckey off the bench, Joe might fire him mid game.

17. BillLaimbeer

Stuckey did miss 3 layups, a 5-footer, and a 7-footer.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Was at the game. Houston we have a problem. This team....it isn't a team. Lacks leadership, chemistry and continuity. CV and AD need to go, their presence is toxic. They remind me of the 14th and 15th players on a high school team who just goof off a lot because they know they're not going to play. We lost because we don't have a go-to player down the stretch of the 4th qtr. We lost because we don't even a single perimeter player who can knock down a trey and keep the floor spaced.....except English, who has 10x's better than Stuckey last night on both ends of the floor. BTW, Stuckey and Prince need to go too! $15M dollars worth of wasted cap space. I'd take Alonzo Gee and Tyreke Evans over those 2 in a heartbeat!

Now, Let's talk the future cornerstones
    Monroe: I pray that he has not taken a step back. He's going to get toasted at PF, too slow to cover that position. Last night his defense and offense were atrocious. His lack of explosiveness and hops made him VERY easy to guard. Keep on eye on GM because if he can't hit the 15-17 footer with any type of consistency..............he may not be worth holding onto, especially at $10M/yr price tag.

Knight: I'm on record for saying that I don't like his game, it looks even worse live. My ceiling for this kid was Darren Collison, not sure he'll be that good. His shaky handle make it very difficult for him to get buy his man.......on paper his stats look decent, but I'm not sure he has what it takes.

Drummond: Now THIS is the Andre Drummond I watched all season at UConn. Big, Strong, Tall, Explosive, Athletic.......and is cluless as to how to put it all together to make a real impact on the floor. This guy will either be the biggest steal or bust of the draft, there will be no in between.

English is solid. Singler too. Trade Tay and Stuckey......oh, I already said that.

Lastly, Harden..........Silky Smooth, his 37, 12, 6 and 4 looked like a slow walk in the park, never out of control (the Anti Super Collider), jumper looked like it was money everytime it left his hands, his handle , jab step and cross over are RIDICULOUS! Made a bunch of Houston Scrubs look like a legit team. In short, if you were to eliminate Stuckey and replace him with Harden, you'd have a solid Piston team.

19. max

max All-Star

Its a process. Like with Stuckey, took some time to go from PG to SG and now it will also take some time to go from SG to Bench. Things move slow these days in the front office.

What are the odds of having both your 2nd round picks make the team and actually play.

20. BillLaimbeer

Classic!!!