How Brave Are You??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kerghan, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Bargnani and Ross for Jerebko and Stuckey

1. Yes

86.7%
  2. No

13.3%
  1. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

How brave are you?

When Joe Dumars built the 04 championship team he managed to fleece the Atlanta Hawks of a quality big man in Rasheed Wallace for nothing but spare parts.
    A player with unquestioned talent but for reasons we are all well aware of had run his course on his current team. Atlanta had no interest in keeping him after the trade from Portland so Joe cleverly snatched him up on the cheap. The rest of course is history.

With that in mind I direct your attention to the Toronto Raptors. They just happen to have a 7ft shooter who has completely run his course on their team and can likely be had for cents on the dollar. The bad news for the Raptors is that everyone knows it and they are going to be getting low balled on every deal.
    This is a chance for Joe to grab himself a couple of very nice pieces for relatively cheap if he is brave enough.

Here is the deal:
    Andrea Bargnani & Terrence Ross for Jonas Jerebko & Rodney Stuckey

The deal works straight up and has tangible benefits for both teams going forward if you will bear with me.
    Firstly the Raptors, desperate to rid themselves of Bargnani get a straight up replacement who is all energy and hustle. The exact opposite of Bargnani, plus they get a replacement SG for Terrence Ross in Stuckey, who also only has 4 million of his 8.5 million contract guaranteed so if they want to save some cash (which they do after the Gay trade) they can buy him out relatively cheaply.
    Detroit wants out from the Stuckey experiment just like the Raptors want out of the Bargnani experiment.

The Pistons on the other hand get a player in Bargnani who is simply the most talented player in this deal. If you consider him your franchise player you will be sadly disappointed but as a 3rd big man behind Andre and Greg he could prove quite valuable.
    You can claim that we already have a player like him in Villanueva and to a point I agree however I personally think Bargnani is simply better and it gives you a chance to be more flexible with moving Charlies expiring contract.
    Secondly and the real kicker is if Detroit is able to snag Terrence Ross as well you have another nice building block at a position of need in SG.

What I think is important for people to remember is not to over value your own players. Jonas and Rodney are nice pieces but they are spare parts, deal with it.

Sure Jonas plays with tremendous energy and hustle but if you look at it we essentially have another version of him in Kyle Singler.

Compare the stats.

Singler 12-13 0.428 0.350 0.806 1.3 2.7 4.0 0.9 0.7 0.4 1.2 2.6 8.8
    Jerebko Career 0.469 0.306 0.755 1.9 3.2 5.0 0.7 0.8 0.3 1.0 2.5 8.7

There isn't a glaring difference between Singler and Jerebko so giving up Jerebko for Bargnani shouldn't be seen as Detroit giving up a vital piece of their team. Unfortunately in the NBA you have to give something to get something and calculated risks are a part and parcel of success.

I don't really need to go into the Stuckey argument as I expect most of us who have watched his career with the Pistons understand the situation with him. He is basically the Pistons version of Bargnani. Massive expectations and the inability to meet them.

All the players involved in this trade are flawed. All of them however are still useful NBA players who if not asked to be stars can be successful.
    For me I want the best player in a trade and regardless of what anyone else says, Bargnani is the most talented player in this trade. He has been written off as a complete failure but that is far from the case.

He may well turn out to be a lost cause but this is a risk reward trade worth considering.
    Whether the Raptors would even consider this deal is unknown but surely it is worth making a call about.

Rocastle likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Have you seen Terrence Ross dunk? Guy is an animal. And yes. 100 times yes I would do this deal. Every GM in the league would do this deal. Toronto is getting the shortest end of any stick ever in this deal and its not even close. He isn't getting enough minutes and is a half decent defender. Not even David Kahn could mess this deal up and its a fact.

As for Andrea - that contract is ugly! But he is only $2m a year more than Stuckey? His PER climbed as high as 18 last year, during peak scoring and rebounding. Usually players don't decline this fast. The situation in Toronto is terrible, and I have no doubt that this is a part of his terrible performance, as well as losing Calderon.

You do this deal, you get a 7ft shooter who isn't shooting very well at the moment and an electric SG. You lose a 4th big man and a guy who heat checks when we are down by 15. I hope you know something that we don't, because this would go down as the biggest fleecing of all time. Trading Gilbert Arenas straight after he pulled a gun on his teammate for Lebron James and the rights to Kevin Durant would look a regular day at the Timberwolves front office in comparison.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If it's all that simple, text Joe and Gores and have them throw it out there on the table before the draft...

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'd trade Stuckey for a bag of marbles..........

The Low and BillLaimbeer like this.
  5. max

max All-Star

I would love it if they would cut Stuckey, that alone would add some wins onto next season. Time to clean house and get rid of the tired old projects that failed.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though you are suggesting that we flat out waive our 3rd leading scorer on the team... which I would normally provide a counter point against, I have to say that he's just not accretive. Bad FG%, limited range, poor FT% for a guard, uninspiring as a leader, and not as good as he should be on defense given his strength. His +/- figures are not good even though he has played a ton of minutes with the leaders in that stat.

7. max

max All-Star

My response would be why did we feel the need to get rid of Rip and then BG? We could have used BG this year right? Because they felt like they needed to move on and get other players in here . Thats what Stuckey reminds me of. The CB trade, the player revolt, his failures at being the starting PG and then SG and now whatever he is. I am sure some team could use him off the bench just not us. I just want him off the team.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A guard who scores with the exact same efficiency as him, but who does it from beyond the arc, is actually more valuable because of the spacing that he creates. i.e. Daye was more important to the team because he was a cog in the Magic model and allowed Bynum and Drummond to turn each game into an And1 mixtape.

Stuckey isn't a cog in anything that we have. Maybe he'd be a good fit for a team that has a bunch of Euro bigs who float around the perimeter and suffer from a lack of penetration.

The Panda likes this.
  9. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

There's no nice way to put this. That's the dumbest post I've seen on this board in years. Ross is the Raptors' hero for the next decade. I don't think we'd even be able to get Bargnani for the garbage proposed above. Nor do I understand why our trade efforts would be directed towards a 4/5.

Kerghan. I'll remember that name.

The Panda likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No need to get personal. That's not what we do here.

The Low likes this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Relax, ...Kerghan was just starting a conversation man.
    Actually, there would have been a TON of "nice ways to put this" but you decided no not use any of them.

Do you think that T-Ross is going to take DeRozan's job?
    ...how about Rudy Gay's?
    He actually competes with Alan Anderson for minutes. He's somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd string SG on that team.
    I'm not saying that it's a no brainer but it's not actually that far fetched of a deal.

...and they HATE Bargnani there.

(Please don't go start a new thread about this. We can all discuss it here if need be.)

webz and S.J. like this.
  12. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Low blow, not cool

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's the last time your personal attacks will be tolerated on this forum.

14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You must have me on ignore. I made at least a half dozen posts that were way dumber.

Rocastle, detteam, The Panda and 2 others like this.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Then don't.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

blueadams, you are out of line. Everyone else - please do not quote, like , or otherwise rehash blue's comment or anyone else's comments pertaining to it. I don't like having to cut out content from threads. We have enough right now to show what most of us here thought about it without everyone getting a shot in.

Thanks

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can verify that. Actually, a half dozen is a very cautious under-estimate. :lol:

basketbills and linwood like this.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It would be nice to get rid of Stuckey but not by taking back $23M of Bargs. I'm not sure Terrence Ross is enough to swing the deal for me. I actually think I'd rather have Gordon and our protected 1st rounder over Il Mago and Terrence Ross.

19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

A trade for Bargnani is intruiging but includes a deal breaker in Ross. Imagine a mediocre deal to somehow get Stuckey off our hands...that included us tossing in Drummond. Joe should get fired for just opening the email unless it included a buy 1 get one free jumbo popcorn and colossus coke coupon. I know there is an article out there saying Toronto would have to toss in assets but if that is the asset, I would just waive Bargs and make out like kings. Bargs/ Stuckey straight up would work for pure money considerations if Toronto was in that mode. CV would have to be used for a guy that is a bigger albatross.

20. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I'd rather trade away Terrance Ross for cap room and Jerebko than sign Igoudala for max money.