How Could It Happen

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

That Miami looks about as good against Dallas as Detroit did against Miami? Is Flipper really that bad a coach that he couldn't motivate this team when it was needed?

I don't know but something in Auburn Hills is awfully wrong. The Pistons were lucky to get by the Cadaviers who the Pistons should have beaten in 4 or 5 at the most. Then against Miami they made Miami look like world beaters.

Break up the Pistons. Get rid of Both Wallaces and keep the other 3 starters and Dyess.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Please get rid of Mr. Big head as well. He'll expect a max deal after next season.

3. max

max All-Star

Breaking up the team is the easy part. Re-assmbling a cast capable of advancing in the playoffs is the hard part.

4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

If we're voting guys off the island, then I say it goes like this.

Flip, first off. By far. Chauncey, second off. Rasheed, third off.

I want Ben back, but only if Flip is gone. Which he won't be.

Flip and Chauncey gotta go. A bad combination. For Sheed to stay, I'd insist upon a promise written in Sheed's blood that he would post up a certain amount of times a game. No, let's put it in the contract. Sheed must post. Oh brother, why should we have to beg and plead for this? He's the highest paid Piston and he hangs out on the perimeter every chance he gets. Sheed, you're off the island too. :) :mad:

Wow, that felt good to say!:nod: Very therapeutic.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

How about no. Thats all I have to say about this:P.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

From GHills last day to 2004 took how many years? It was mostly one piece at a time.
    Just put any one in a Ps uni. and we'll be fine!
    Mr. Big Head was the start of all good things hear. With BBen already in place.
    Easy does it.

7. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

This year seems to be the year of the grudge. Pistons lose all motivation when Spurs are knocked out. Miami loses all motivation when they knock the pistons out.

8. roscoe36

Complacency is a big problem. The Heat willed themselves past the Pistons strictly on desire.

The one thing that we can't measure like jumpers, turnovers, free throws is passion. How bad does this group of Pistons "want it"? Was the 2004 title too much satisfaction?

Even if they fall under the radar, I question the hunger that these guys will bring having already been there and done that. Not to mention a few of them are getting paid ...

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We wanted to beat San Antonio. We already thought we'd make it to the grand stage. We fell in our own trap. Like Ben said they did what we used to do to teams. If Pistons go under the radar and Miami's picked to win expect the hunger advantage to go back to the Pistons.

10. roscoe36

QUOTES!

I'm tired of this BS that the Pistons only play with reckless abandon when their backs are against the wall, or someone is disrespecting them.

No great team functions like that.

Re: The Spurs, thats also horsecrap. The Pistons can't control how far the Spurs go. They don't want to desperately win another title unless it is against the Spurs?

I watched the Bad Boys play. Jordan's Bulls. They battled to get to the dance, and when they were on top, they fought like demons to keep the top spot.

I'm really leaning towards seeing a starter or two traded to redefine the chemistry and passion on this team. Someone(s) is/are a little too fat in the pocket and lazy in the hustle department.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I say we at least give them one more chance. If we play the bench a lot next season and fatigue can't be used as an excuse and the Pistons pull off the same thing than pull the trigger. Its happened twice where we lose because are backs are to far up against the wall and we can' win. Hopefully we've learned. We as fans have to stip being cocky if we tell the team to stop being cocky. I know I was overconfident.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Oh ohh the sky is falling again (imagine our prognosticator Buddah started this again).

Watch what for you ask for when talking about recreating the team... it can be ugly.... I'd settle for a healthy & motivated Sheed.... and a new slashing PG.

What Micro says is a legit concern (complacency)... but Mr. Big head was one of the best PG's in the league this year (ripped Nash a new one)... I wouldn't bet against him... or want him playing against us.

Sheed is on a short rope in my eyes... if he continues to not get back on defense and wants to float (btw, Flip did stress going inside to Sheed this playoffs... it's documented)....
    He gets the benefit of the doubt with the ankle thing.... but we'll be watching:pop2:

Gr8 year... disappointing ending.... maybe if we only had LB we would have won it all :doh:

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:scared:. Just imagine Chauncey hitting big shots..against the Pistons. Like I said in another thread you guys will pretend you never talked about trading him if he does good next year. Well you did.

14. roscoe36

Bless your soul. :)

Flip also said he would play the bench more. Flip either had no control, or he's a pathological fibber. Either way, it's bad.

Or maybe with LB we would have come up short in Game 7 of the ECF. :ohwell:

15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think its as much complacency, lack of desire, or "been there, done that" as it is grossly underestimating how hard it would be to get back to the finals.

I think that it was a combination of being so used to being able to claw back from near extinction, and their breeze through the regular season that was their undoing.

The team seemed genuinely hungry to get back to the finals after last season. A team content to rest on their laurels wouldn't have had that attitude.

Their big thing this year was "Home Court". They've been talking about it since a few minutes after game 7 of last year. Their thinking was that if the finals DID come down to a 7th game again, they'd have the advantage this time.

I think it was this thinking that did them in. They looked past everything and everyone, thinking that home court would be the difference.

Luckily, I think that after this year's playoff collapse, that way of thinking is gone. A disappointing playoff exit should cure that. Apathy would be a different story entirely. But like I said, I think its the former, not the later.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I agree. Plus that hunger went away when they started winning again. It sucks, but its human nature.

17. roscoe36

Quotes!

18. jammertime

Don't get me wrong, I'm still extremely PISSED that they let it happen. I've been mad for weeks. But at least its something that should be cureable without blowing up the roster.

Its not like we have a bunch of guys that don't care - in which case I'd be the first one in line to kick their sorry butts out of town. We just had a bunch of guys that thought themselves to be invincible. Longest serving starting 5 in the league, perenial division champs, 2 time defending Easter Conference Champs, best record in the league, 4 time DPOY, finals MVP, 4 Allstars, single handedly won the allstar game for the east, best record in the league, countless defensive records over the past few years, etc. etc.

They felt it was their RIGHT to be in the finals. They felt it was their destiny.

Well, so much for that. But I do believe that they learned their lesson.

I'm looking foward to next season so the team can prove me right.

19. jammertime

"I love you, you love me. We're a happy family. With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you. Won't you say you love me too."
    - Barney the Dinosaur

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You're one of the few jammer.

Sorry about the quotes:laugh:.