How Could It Happen

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok, I'll buy that to a degree... of course the playoffs doesn't require as many minutes for the bench (same problem with LB)... however the bench was coming on near the end of the year... I thought they should have stuck with the same rotation they were comfortable with... when he finally got back to it the subs were rusty.... no doubt a mistake.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We had Miami gaurding no one on defense. Sheed couldn't be SHEED because of his messed up ankle. Ben cna't do too much on the offensive end exept get 2nd chance points and set screens, and Chauncey couldn't make a bucket to save his life. Plus Rip couldn't do much until the last game. We had only a couple guys perform and that won't cut it. I don't see us playing as bad as we did next year come playoff rime unless Ben leaves.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is what really happened.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sure sounds like the same thing to me. Remember the fourth quarter of game six when the team started to play as if they really wanted to win? It was too little, and way too late, but that team might have lost to the Heat once, maybe twice on their way to another finals appearance.

Nice guys can win a championship. But if you want to repeat, you're got to know (started to say believe, but that's too soft) you're the biggest bad-ass on the planet and be willing to do everything you can to prove it each and every night - and that means sending messages to the good teams every time you play them, and just crushing the ever loving crap out of the also rans any time they are foolish enough to show up in the same gym as you. The Bad Boys had that, and Jordan had enough of it for any two dozen guys. Bird would pull your heart out and show it to you before stepping on it as he walked away.

Nice guys don't repeat and what we have here is a bunch of nice guys.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You think this team is nice? Why do you think other teams hate us? We're not nice, but what this team is is a team that won't step on the other teams throat when they have a chance. Its cost them these last 2 years, lets hope they've finally learned.
  6. dba

Yeah, I guess I do. I don't see a consistent why are you even on the floor with me killer instinct. People were talking about the Pistons' swagger when they were winning all those games early on, but I didn't see a swagger, just a hot jump shooting team that turned out to be way too pleased with itself. There were way too many games last year won at half time or by the third quarter that turned into close ones because no one was willing to stop on somebody's throat.

I think these guys want to be liked, and don't care so much if they're feared. Getting to the finals three years in a row is incredibly hard. You have to have skills, chemistry, a boatload of good luck in the injury department, and a drive so strong that you let nothing get in your way. I don't even know if that's humanly possible to sustain for more than a couple of years. But, I don't think these guys had it this year.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

They had it at first, but they won so much they lost it.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A lil premature winulation?
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I dont expect that next season. I actually think the Pistons will start off very slow next season and fans will get worried.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I recently sprained my ankle severyly playing bball (on Tuesday). It has made me realize how hard it must have been for Sheed to come back without missing a game. And also, how much his mobility must have been affected when he was playing.

No matter what Arnie Kander injected me with, there is no way that I could even jog. And I'm pretty sure that Sheed's sprain was just as bad.

So, I will go easy on him and quit advocating trading him.
  11. dba

Yes sir. I'm certainly no well conditioned athlete with an ace training staff, but the last time I could jump high enough to land hard enough to hurt myself, it was weeks before any notion of normal walking came back, and months before it seemed all right again.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@TaShawn - Sorry about your injury dude.

Injuries in general, I don't recover like I did when I was younger. A good sprain was a 3 or 4 day thing. A bad sprain maybe 10 days. Let's not forget that as far as players go, Sheed really isn't a spring chicken. He's got a lot of miles on those wheels.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We got by against Indiana when Rasheed had plantar fasciitis. Thats only because the other 4 starters played very well and we had a bench. Against Miami Rasheed couldn't do much, ben didn't do well, Chauncey couldn't make shots or even layups, and Rip was playing horrible as well.

Rasheed-Not the benches fault he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time and he messed up his ankle. He just couldn't be Sheed.

Ben-Its the size. We need to get a 7 footer or 2 and use them to back up Ben. If we get at least one good BIG man who can post up and do good in the paint this issue will be fine assuming Big Ben resigns.

Chauncey-I think he averaged aroung 43mpg after Arroyo was traded. Get a back up pg and if you can't do that use Delfino or Acker next season Flip. We need a pg off the bench that can give an entirely different look from Chauncey. let Chauncey play that many minutes in a big playoff series but in the regular season cut his minutes down to the 30 mpg.

Rip-He didn't go around screens and make his automatic midrange. The reason has to be because of Wade and Walker. Rip can't gaurd Antione so Tay was forced to leaving Rip on Wade. Rip got a lot of fouls and he couldn't really be too aggresive. Delfino played good on Wade so why can't we give the guy a chance?

Next season we need to get some fresh hungry blood and play them with the rest of the bench. Give the starters a break and don't let them play over 30 mpg. I don't care if it costs us 5, 10, or even 20 games next season. Just do it.
  14. dba

Well, not quite up to 43. CB's minutes went from 36.6 to 37.8 in the twenty games after Arroyo was sent packing. But, I get your point. A different look off the bench like Hunter supplied somewhat on the defensive end, but on both offense and defense could really make a difference.

FYI - Arroyo averaged 12.1 minutes in 49 games, but his time fell throughout the season and CBs went up.

First 10 - 15.6
    Second 10 - 13.7
    Third 10 - 11.0
    Fourth 10 - 10.7
    Fifth 10 (9) - 9.4
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Thats not big of a difference, but at the end of the regular season I saw Chauncey doing things because of fatigue. In the Charlotte game Chauncey lost the ball of his leg 2-3and mad a bad pass in the last 2 minutes.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about taking a shot at Andrew Bynum? He should be relatively cheap.
  17. crystalcomm

crystalcomm Second Round Draft Pick

You are so right. The Heat wanted it more than the Pistons did.

That is why we need some additions to make this team hungry again, Im not for wholesale changes just for the sake of change, but I like the idea of adding to mix to get guysthat want to win.
  18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

All effort and attitude boys and girls...

Championship teams find ways to win. Players play higher than their perceived value. We didn't have much of that this year. We coasted. If Miami's playoff intensity was a 10, the Pistons's intensity was probably a 7 at best. Not going to cut it. Our team really does not win based on defense anymore. And quite honestly, I don't believe in Flip's offensive scheme enough where I think we can build a team that can win a championship based on pure fire power.

It will be interesting to see how Joe goes about infusing some real hunger into this team. Changes are a brewin'!