How do you feel about Barry Bonds becoming the new HR king?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, May 6, 2007.

?

How do you feel about Bary Bonds becoming the new HR king?

1. I don't want him to break the record and MLB should not acknowledge it

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Bonds is a great player and deserves recognition when/if he breaks the record

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Who cares?

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Barry Bonds is closing in on Hank Aaron fast. To me, Hammerin' Hank will ALWAYS be the home-run king. How do you feel?

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Barry has not been a likeable human being as long as I can remember. He should get to within one of the record, and then RETIRE from the game. I've always felt bad for Aaron cause he didn't win a World Series. When I look at his stats, I'm reminded of Gordie Howe. He was so consistent as a player. Anybody who wishes to celebrate has that choice. However, I'll be celebrating something else that day.

3. ggazoo69

I mistyped the poll question: It should say "Barry Bonds," not "Hank Aaron." Oops! :MusicBigGrin:

4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yes he did. The Braves won it all in '57, with Aaron winning the NL MVP and hitting the pennant-clinching home run late in the regular season.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Poll fixed.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't like Bonds and I'd rather not see him break the record, but I voted "Who Cares" because really I don't. If he breaks it, so be it. It won't change the way I feel about him.

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I don't care about baseball, but one of my obligations as a card-carrying member of the anti-chemical-enhancement-witchhunt movement is to support Bonds in this case.

8. ggazoo69

Thanks, roscoe. You're always on the case.

9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You know, enhanced or not (which is yet to be proven), you still have to be able to hit and play. I could use every known steroid and I still wouldn't make even the minor league roster. While the total may be somewhat stretched, it is still a great achievement for anyone.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I do apologize for my mistake about wether Aaron won a world Series. All these years, I was under the impression that he had been passed by.
    :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Truth is...........I've always wanted to use this smilie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pound:

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What I've been wondering is why the heck they can't come up with a definitive answer whether he did the streroids... it's like they're affraid to find the answer....
    It's pretty simple... if he's cleared (after it became illegal) then sure I'd like to see him break the record... if not then it's tainted.
    It is a little hard rooting for Bonds when Hank Aaron was such a fine gentleman.

Why am I picturing Bonds stepping up to the plate only needing one homer and dropping the bat and saying that's it I'm done... his way of getting the last laugh.

12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We know he's not going to do that. His ego will not let him.

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Give him his props. Plenty of men, women, children, athletes and scholars have taken some type of performance enhancing drug whether it be for the body or the mind or healing but no one is under as much scrutiny as Bonds.

Because he ignored a few hundred sports reporters for the past 20 years in a "jerk" like manner, those same individuals have been supporting this witch hunt against him for the past 5 years as he inches closer to the goal. Those same sports writers and any regular hater would love to have their hands on 756 after it clears the fence. Records are made to be broken and it shouldn't matter who does it.

As hammerin Hank apporached the Babe's record in 1973 and 74 he got racist hate mail for the year and a half leading up to the moment. With all the hatin going on with Bonds, Aaron should at least aknowledge the pain BB is going through by reaching out to him instead of putting out comments that he doesn't care or doesn't want to be in the vicinity when record is broken. For Selig to sit on the fence shows that he is just like the other commissioners who are swayed by public opinion and image.

We don't know what kind of drugs baseball, football, hockey or basketball players took in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's before the sophistcasted testing discovered them in the blood and urine and what the affect was on their bodies strength, endurance or mind. I don't mind Barry breaking the record and wouldn't mind if he retired at 754 and left ESPN begging for some more at bats...lets just get over it and move on. I know he will be selfish about it as some one mentioned, but so was Emmit Smith (IMO) when it came to sqeaking by Walter Payton for the rushing yards title. He could have retired before that and let Sweetness hold on to that title in memory, like Barry Sanders did............

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't know that it's exactly been a "witch hunt" against Bonds. You'd have to pretty naive to think he wasn't deliberately roiding it up for several years. Of course, you'd have to be equally naive to think that he's been the ONLY one boosting his numbers with steroids, not to mention the extremely high likelihood of having hit plenty of these dingers against pitchers who were juiced up themselves.

And as much of the "jerk" factor has hurt Bonds, I don't think it's the determining factor in why so many people look at his HR records as being tainted. Mark McGwire was practically canonized by fans and the media for breaking Maris' record in '98, but he fell so far and so fast after dodging questions before Congress that none of the "love" he'd been getting before then was able to limit the damage at all. The miniscule support he got on the Hall of Fame ballot is only the most definitive evidence of that. HOF-wise, nobody can doubt that Bonds was 100% Hall-worthy even before he apparently started juicing in crazy quantities to match McGwire after '98, so I think it would be difficult to deny Bonds a spot in the hall unless you're flat-out not going to vote for ANYONE from this era.

15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Where is the evidence that Barry Bonds used roids after they were banned by MLB? Whether you like him or not should not be an issue.

I really don't care if Bonds breaks the record because to be honest I feel most of these records are a joke to start with. Players today play more games and have longer careers. Unless you break the record in fewer games than the other player that holds the record. In my opinion the record has not been broken.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I can't simply overlook someone that used enhancements to get an unfair advantage over "clean" players... I just wish they would let the truth be known.
    McGuire should not have escaped the scrutiny either.

17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, McGwire didn't escape it. He was fortunate enough to be retired by the time the you-know-what hit the fan, but as I mentioned, that didn't do him much good. It sure didn't help him with the HOF voters.

It's true that there's no evidence of Bonds juicing since MLB started banning things, but that was only a couple of years ago. There are tons of indications that he did all kinds of stuff in the several years prior to that, although of course he was far from the only one doing it.

The one argument that I think Bonds supporters have in their favor is that to whatever extent he's the only one being held accountable for it, that's not fair. Right when the Game of Shadows book was published, some prominent sportswriters bloviated quite loudly about how MLB would have to suspend him, but that clearly would have been a ridiculous double standard to hold him to.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't care when Bonds breaks the record. There will always be an asterisk in my mind. The truth of the controversy may never be known...but the drastic change in his physique over the years can not solely be attributed to 'clean' living & a dedicated work regiment IMO.

Hank was a class guy in his playing time and still represents all the best of the sport.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That would be cool. Sounds like something Barry would do....Barry Sanders that is.

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

How is Barry Bonds like Barry Sanders?

:wedgie: