How do you feel about Barry Bonds becoming the new HR king?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, May 6, 2007.

?

How do you feel about Bary Bonds becoming the new HR king?

1. I don't want him to break the record and MLB should not acknowledge it

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Bonds is a great player and deserves recognition when/if he breaks the record

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Who cares?

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Remember A Rod..............Just a pinch between your cheek and your gums..............
  2. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Remember A-Rod...when you sign your new 5 year, $150 million contract extension...I recommend a diversified portfolio. You should have holdings in commercial real estate...tax free municiples...domestic growth stocks...precious metals...and emerging market funds. If you'd like, I can refer you to my investment advisors.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

4. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Oh well.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    As if we care. He may have the most homeruns, but he ain't gonna be the homerun king.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Willie Mays was there in person. Hank Aaron had a canned video response shown on the jumbotron. The question is when was that taped??? Bud issued a statement and called him at the park.

The insult however was last Saturday when Selig called A-Rod on Saturday to congratulate him for hitting 500 but only stood up at the game in SF on Saturday when Barry tied it. He never spoke to Bonds personally in any of the games he attended :gun1:
  7. TwYcH

TwYcH First Round Draft Pick

I thought I would be disgusted at watching Bonds hit that 756 long ball. I watched it live last night, and surprisingly enjoyed it. The whole thing felt wrong, but I couldn’t take my eyes off the TV. I still dislike his attitude as a person, he’s big headed, owes nothing to anyone, and it’s all about Barry.

Everyone knows he juiced, and if you still have a doubt take your blinders off. There’s only one thing I hate more than Barry Bonds arrogant %%%%%, and that’s the ‘argument people’. I lump this group all together as a bunch of half minded morons. Their argument is all around the same, some may vary depending on knowledge of the sport. Let me see if I can word this right so people know what group I’m talking about. This is what you have likely herd, or will hear the next couple of days: “Steroids or no steroids you still have to be able to stand in the box and hit those pitches, that takes God given talent, hard work and consistently. He is a great athlete”. (Other more ‘knowledgeable’ fans would now say, and I quote: “pitchers juice more than all other athletes in pro sports combined. Level field in my opinion.”)

I don’t really see why these ‘people’ feel the need to stickup for Barry. They might just do it for argument sake, and that just human nature, we are always right…Aren’t we?

There are not many other things in sports that compare to the greatness of hitting the long ball. You against the pitcher, your team isn’t helping you, and all your manager can do it give you a few signs. It’s like you against the world, you determine the outcome. Like I said, not many other situations in sports compare to you against the pitcher in the 9th with 2 outs when you’re down by 1.

A cheater is a cheater, whether you are willing to admit that Barry gave himself a clear advantage or not.

Like a great comedian says at the end of a rant – This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-TwYcH
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Gotta disagree about the argument people.

Steroids do not enable you to make contact with ball. Steroids may increase your power and endurance, but the mental game, patience in the batters box, and incredible hand eye co-ordination probably don't benefit from "the Clear".

Who cares if Barry is the record holder or not.

As Jim Leyland recently said on the radio, if this guy was a media darling, we would be appreciating him as one of the greatest players of all time. Instead he's become the poster boy for steroids when numerous players (including pitchers) have been juicing throughout this era.

Baseball is a sport with a long history of cheaters. There have been cheaters in every era, and many HOFers were known cheaters. It's not unique to this era, and it's not unique to Bonds. One can only guess how many legends of the game might have been exposed if there was the media and internet coverage, as well as the scientific testing that today's athletes face, in their era.
  10. TwYcH

Seem like exactly what you need to become the Home Run king doesn't it?

-I am not taking anything away from that mans God Given talent, his hours of practice in the cage or his love of baseball, just what he earned form cheating-
  11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Completely agree with this take.

This is the era of "exposed" cheating, not "cheating".

Cheating has existed since the beginning of the game. I applaud the feat. Bonds isn't one of my favorite sports figures. Far from it. I really don't like his personality, nor am I a fan of Pete Rose's charm...however there is no denying their talent. Barry Bonds is quite possibly the best player in the history of baseball. There should be no footnote. ..except that maybe he is a poor liar.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Being stronger gave Bonds a quicker swing. Having a quicker swing allowed him to wait longer before comitting to a pitch. That extra time was critical, because it allowed him more time to identify pitches before starting his swing. So, when he did swing, he had a beat on it and was more likely to make solid contact. This is also why he has an incredible eye for bad pitches. And then, of course, by the time he actually hits the ball, he has a greater bat speed. This means that balls that aren't hit solidly still have a chance of getting over the fence. Steroids definitely help a player hit for power and average.

There are several examples of players who produced inflated batting numbers when they started using steroids and then dropped off after they quit (you know, when their hat sizes shrunk bat to thier original size).

I don't see how you can assume he cheated and be OK with it. If you don't think he used any steroids that is one thing. But who here believes that?
  13. MotownPride

I think most of the league cheats and have always done so. If every player in the Hall was scrutinized like Bonds has been, you'd probably hear echos in that place. Besides, the pitchers are juiced up too. I think the bigger arguement is the league's tinkering around with the strike zone. If we really want to do things in the spirit of fairness, conduct weekly drug screening for everyone, clear out the Hall of Fame and reset the record books.
  14. TwYcH

GREAT POST! :)
  15. mikhail1973

If everyone's cheating, then what do we care whether he used steroids or not?
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that there are a lot of pitchers who are probably users too. And there are a lot of variables that make it impossible to compare a player like Barry Bonds to Hank and Babe. The baseball, the strikezone, the bats, etc.

Cheating in the old days doesn't seem like it is comparable to me though. A spitball here and there. A corked bat. I bet most of the players back in the day did more to hurt their performance (drinking) than enhance it.

I'm used to thinking about history in golf. In that sport, it is even more difficult to compare legends of the past to the present. The clubs are better, the ball is better, the courses are better maintained. There are so many variables that you can't use numbers to compare. Basically, the equipment is on steroids. You have to use your imagination to compare past to present. But the one thing you don't have to factor into the equation is cheating. If it was revealed that Tiger Woods was on steroids, it would be absolutely devastating to him and the sport. There wouldn't be any of this talk about how all players try to get an advantage and steroids don't help Tiger makes putts. He would be branded a cheater.

Why the leaway in baseball?
  17. MotownPride

Exactly my point.
  18. mikhail1973

I think many sports are like that. You have the short shot clock in NBA. At some point there was no shot clock. There was no 3-point line. Some statistics weren't even kept. NBA has instant replay. NFL has instant replay. I agree that you can't compare directly.
  19. TwYcH

I don’t care a thing about comparing anything.

Barry Bonds used steroids, using steroids is against the rules.

He is a bum, a disgrace to Baseball.

Thanks TaShawn, valid point!
  20. MotownPride

I don't think any of the major sports are exempt. Cheaters are everywhere. Drug abuse runs rampant in all sports...they just don't get caught. Its kinda like hackers and computers. The faster they crackdown, the faster they come up with a new way to trick the system. Keep in mind that steroids hasn't always been deemed an illegal substance. Most proffesional atheletes take supplements to aid in weight training. I just think that this has grown to be something that is impossible to control. Athletes who cheat, pay for it with their health. Maybe Barry Sanders got it right. Records can indeed be frivolous in sports. At the end of the day, it boils down to championships which result from great teamwork not drug padded stats.