How do you feel about the AI for Chauncey/Dice/Cheikh Trade?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 4, 2008.

?

What are your feelings on the trade?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2008.
  1. Great trade for Detroit

49.2%
  2. Good trade for Detroit

28.8%
  3. Even trade for Detroit

1.7%
  4. Bad trade for Detroit

6.8%
  5. Horrible trade for Detroit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Wait and See

13.6%
  1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Mixed. Don't worry about the press reviews...it's just mixed.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Love the trade for all the other reasons previously stated. But here's a fresh idea, AI is a scorer who can get you 25-30 every single night, even when he struggles. AI will make Tay and Sheed a whole lot better. We get so pissed off because we want Sheed and Tay to step up their offensive aggression, the reality is that Sheed and Tay are good at what they're good at and no more. AI will allow Tay and Sheed to be the marginal above average role players that they are, he takes alot of unwanted pressure off of both of them.

In Rips case, AI will always draw double teams and keep defenses off balance with dribble pen., that will allow for kickouts, which will lead to ball reversal which will leave Rip with a Ton of open shots. As hard as it was to keep up with Rip for an entire game, imagine the opposing backcourt chasing AI & Rip....WHEW!!!

For Amir & Max, dribble pen. yields drop off passes to Big men, and offensive putbacks 2 things they specialize in.

Lastly, the consensus in Piston Land was that we have the talent, but we don't play hard, the Forum has said it, the coaches and mgmt said it, we now have the hardest playing guy in the league. I think we solved our work issues on the hard wood.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Yessir!

Lets not forget how badly Billups has struggled with on ball pressure in the playoffs.
    Iverson has been dropping 30 on that kind of pressure for more than a decade.

Iverson saw more ball pressure than what rattled Billups when he got out of bed in the morning back in Philly. Teams felt they had us figured out in that department.

Well, NO MORE.

I don't think fans will truly realize what this trade does for us until the post season when Allen starts splitting double and triple teams like Chauncey never could.

4. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I said great trade due to the business side. And we are still competitive on a very high level despite what Tim Legler says!

5. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Chauncey, right next to Tayshaun, is/was our most overrated player. We have a huge amount of cap room next year, open the door for Rodney, extend Rip to age 33 (when dropoffs usually start), and now have a guy that actually plays with heart all the time. I love it.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Brown (CLE) was a Carlisle/San Antonio Guy and they had Chauncey figured out. I remember hearing a lot about it on a telecast, and then McConduit spilled it on WDFN one day.

I'm excited to see AI take the aggressiveness of the team up a couple notches.

The national pundits are generally useless, because they do not know the team as well as the local guys, and guys like Legler aren't top tier so they don't get access directly to Joe and others.

Your life will be a lot better if you ignore them.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Legler seems to be wrong more than he is correct. For him to say this is a bad trade for Detroit is probably a good sign for the Pistons.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Excellent point. Also people forget how unselfish AI is with talent surrounding him. If you look at the All-Star games where he ran the point, he looked solid and comfortable at that position, distributing the ball costantly.

In the Curry offense the PG gives the ball up early, cuts through and gets it back, this is a free flowing, ball moving offense that doesn't require the traditional pure PG (BTW Billups was struggling with the idea of giving the ball up early). You'll see alot more of Tayshaun handling the rock from the top of the offense these days as AI and Rip cut, curl and move along the wings, Tay's Assists per game should see an increase this season.

Again AI will allow Tay and Sheed to be themselves and do what they do, this will really help them out as well as the team as a whole.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is a very good point. The 1 becomes the 2 after the initial early pass.

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

AI has long been one of my favorite players. I'm pretty happy just to have the option to see him play every night.

I'm sorry to see Dyess go, but that's just the way it worked out. If he gets bought out and resigned I think that would be great.

Samb is more of an issue with me. I think the kid can play and has some serious upside. It's too bad Acker wouldn't have rounded out the trade instead.

11. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I was thinking the same thing. I'm so :confused:.

12. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

I've come around to liking this trade, and it might even turn out to be great, but I have a nagging feeeling about Samb. How will we feel if he is an all-star 6 or 8 years from now? Anyone remember John Smoltz?

13. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

Most of the scoreless spells at the end of playoff games over the last 3 years are attributable to Chauncy. He was the go-to guy and his success in 04 gave us a ship. But we have given him 3 years to re-prove himself and he couldn't do it. It was time for him to go while others still had faith in him. AI is a go-to guy that will make the shots under pressure. This was a good deal.

Now, if we can only find a monster rebounder, we will have it made.

14. dba

Sheed seems to me to be rebounding better this year. The numbers aren't up much, but he's been much more active, getting a lot more taps, etc. In fact, everybody has been doing a better job rebounding this year. Perhaps an MC priority.

Which reminds me... This is thorougly inappropriate for this thread, but what in the world happened to Cowen's hair?

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Won't Samb be like 42 in 8 years?

16. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

lol why didn't we think of this in the offseason?

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You are right about the rebounding. The biggest difference is that we are killing it on the offensive glass.

So far, we are getting about 40% of the offensive rebounds and 80% of the defensive rebounds for 60% of all rebounds.

We have been slightly better on the offensive glass with Amir in (and slightly worse on the defensive glass), but have also been very very good with the bench too.

This level of domination surely can't last. While I was expecting us to be more active in this department, no team can sustain these numbers.

And I have noticed Sheed's effort as well. Last game in particular he seemed to be going the extra mile to keep the ball alive. Didn't fully show up in his stats, but he was effective.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Maybe Michael Curry is a rebounding genius? As Flip was to efficient offense, so is Curry to rebounding tactics.

19. dba

Well, there is coach coaching and then there is the coaching an expiring contract and the need for another one does. Who knew that Flip's only flaw was not having enough guys at the end of their contracts?

Truthfully, that must be part of it, but I also think Sheed and Rip, not sure about Tay, came out with a different attitude this year. Hopefully it will last another hundred games or so.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is also unlikely that we can sustain this scoring > 100 points every game with a non-genius offensive coach.