How does Flip Saunders rank as an NBA Coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Mar 6, 2007.

?

How does Flip Saunders rank among active NBA coaches?

1. 10 - One of the top 3 coaches in the league

3.3%
  2. 9 - In the top 6

23.3%
  3. 8 - In the top 9

16.7%
  4. 7 - In the top 12

15.0%
  5. 6 - In the top half

21.7%
  6. 5 - In the bottom half

11.7%
  7. 4 - In the bottom 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 - In the bottom 9

3.3%
  9. 2 - In the bottom 6

1.7%
  10. 1 - One of the worst 3 coaches in the league

3.3%
  1. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I've been trying not to prejudice but I couldn't. The players float he floats, player sink he sinks, he's just riding their coat-tail.
  2. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I think he's in the top half, but not the top 12. Here's my top 12, in no particular order:

Scott Skiles (defense and intensity)
    Avery Johnson (passion and motivation)
    George Karl (creative and a bit crazy)
    Don Nelson (very creative -- we'd have good plays out of timeouts!)
    Jeff Van Gundy (DEE-fense)
    Rick Carlisle (ironic, I know, but his teams are always tough to play)
    Phil Jackson (Ph.D. in ego management)
    Pat Riley (he's never outcoached)
    Isiah Thomas (Zeke!)
    Gregg Popovich (very demanding -- but fair -- and always prepared)
    Sam Mitchell (call me crazy, but he's very straightforward and doing a nice job in Toronto)
    Jerry Sloan (effort! precision! teamwork! or you're benched!)
  3. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Don't get caught up in the moment of things. A shorter list of what I explained in the coach equation might read: money, market, players, maturity and luck.

The little general was dealt a very good hand. Nelson, in the over-all concept of coaching, has forgotten more than Johnson will ever know.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd like to change my vote to worst coach of all time in all the universe...and a few extra dimensions. :granade:
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's ok. It all evens out.

I ranked him a bit low. I think I shoulda given him a 4...maybe a 5 instead of a 3.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yesterday, he was one of the top 3 coaches in the NBA. Today, he is the worst coach of all time. LOL.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If we win...he'll be back on top!!:winner_first_h4h:
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You're only as good as your last Championship.
  10. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Flip smells pretty rank to me so I would rank him pretty high.:gun1:
  11. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Is the general consensus that about 50% of current non-champiosnhip coaches i.e. anyone not named Pops, Jackson, Riley are pretty much a lock to take this team to the Finals? What is the measure of better than Flip? Playing better defense, playing harder etc. or showing tangible results in terms of an extended playoff run and a championship? I understand the frustration with Flip and the desire to replace him, but I don't think any one of the better coaches mentioned i.e. Skiles, AJ, Sloan etc. guarantee the end results expected by fans.
  12. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I believe only the top 4 on your list have won an NBA title and it took Brown over 20 years of coaching at the professional level to win one.

I think Sloan is the most overrated active coach in the NBA. Yes he may be a nice guy. and Yes he is coaching, well we all know where he is coaching, but the guy has never one a title and only gotten to the Finals, I believe one time where Michael demolished him and his team.

Sloan even has a worse track record than Flipper, because Sloan has been at it a lot longer than Flipper and has had two Hall of Fame guys on his squad for over 10 years in the primes of their careers and still couldn't win the only thing that matters and that is "The Title".

:hoops:
  13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I disagree. First off, Sloan made it to the NBA Finals twice against Jordan. Tell me who could have defeated Jordan during that time? Sloan has a reputation for making players better under his tutelage. (Similar to Phil Jackson's rep) No better than Flip? Nahhhh... The knock on Flip was that he hadn't won any playoff series with the exception of the one run to the Western Conference Finals by Minnesota prior to his firing. Sloan has won many playoff series. When Sloan was without Stockton and Malone his team was picked by the press to be the worst team in the history of basketball. He missed the playoffs in a tough Western Conference by one game. The top coaches around the league acknowledge him as one of the greatest tacticians in the history of the game and players swear by his attention to detail and no-nonsense approach to coaching. He is the longest tenured coach in the NBA and has remained competitive in the toughest conference for the past 5-6 years. His coaching methods obviously have not become obsolete like say Lenny Wilkens. And if all that hasn't convinced you, look what he has done with the season so far. He has coached Deron Williams to be one of the best PGs in the league, posted a +10 game lead in their divison for most of the season amongst injuries to Boozer and Kirilenko and holds an impressive 25-10 record against the Western Conference.

To say that he is no better or worse than Flip Saunders is just completely erroneous. Sloan is most likely headed to the Hall of Fame.
  14. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

Ive heard that deron williams becoming so good came as a direct result of summer tutoring by none other then John Stockton himself,
  15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

But Stockton doesn't coach the game and give Deron and tongue lashing when he isn't following the system.
  16. buddahfan

Which is only another example of if you are well liked and stay around long enough you can get elected to the HOF.

So Sloan got to the Finals twice instead of once. I would respectively disagree that he made Stockton and Malone HOFers. That is like saying that Magic learned everything he knew about playing guard from Riley.

Those we like we always elevate above their true capabilites and those we dislike we always discredit their capabilities.

Flipper will never be loved by the majority of Piston fans even if he wins 5 world titles as Pistons' head coach, (Though right now I would settle for one, this year)

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If Flipper wins 5 titles, he will be one of the 5 All-Time greatest coaches.

Under such circumstances, I will find a way to like him. Somehow. :MusicBigGrin:
  18. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

That's true. It's amazing how smart somebody becomes when they get titles.
  19. buddahfan

That is true. But he still won't be loved by the Pistons fans. LOL

20. buddahfan

I know its hard, but lets give Flipper a little credit for tonight's win against the Suns. He did have them prepared and they did execute.