How does Flip Saunders rank as an NBA Coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Mar 6, 2007.

?

How does Flip Saunders rank among active NBA coaches?

1. 10 - One of the top 3 coaches in the league

3.3%
  2. 9 - In the top 6

23.3%
  3. 8 - In the top 9

16.7%
  4. 7 - In the top 12

15.0%
  5. 6 - In the top half

21.7%
  6. 5 - In the bottom half

11.7%
  7. 4 - In the bottom 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 - In the bottom 9

3.3%
  9. 2 - In the bottom 6

1.7%
  10. 1 - One of the worst 3 coaches in the league

3.3%
  1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will give him credit-but for something more important than one game. Just recently he has been letting the bench play further into the 2nd quarter. He seems to be learning to trust the bench. We only had a five point lead to end the first half, but the energy boost from the bench playing more did wonders in the 2nd half.

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I don't think it is a question of him learning to trust the bench. As I recall he played the bench plenty when he coached the T-Wolves.

I think it is more a matter of "the bench earning his trust". It is up to them to perform, whether they play 1 minute or 30 plus minutes like Flip did last night.

Delfino is a perfect example of this. His game is at least 2 fold and maybe even 3 fold better than when he was a rookie. It has even improved significantly over the course of this year. As his game improves he earns more playing time. That is how I see it.

:hoops:

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

If your criteria is that a coach needs to get a championship to get in, then Sloan falls short. Otherwise, I can't see where you can find a hole in his career that should prevent him from getting in the Hall of Fame.

On Flip, after 2 championships he would get the love of the fans. After one...he'd be very close. I think fans just want confidence that he can win the big one.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I know its probably a little early in the playoffs for any of us to reconsider our position on this this, but just in case.

I think he has done an excellent job so far in the seven playoff games. Kept the boys focused. Used his bench, Pulled one out of the hat tonight on the road in the Chicago stockyards.

:hoops:

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'll move him from bottom 9 to top 12.

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I'd say he's in the top 6. I agree that Popovich, Jackson, and Riles are better. I'd put Sloan and D'Antoni in category of close or maybe a bit above Flip. But the rest? Not sure where Flip doesn't come out on top.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree. the team maintains focus. rallys back from 19 down. executes. plays defense. shows its depth when its needed. I bashed flip for when the team fell apart. I'll give him the credit when they stay together. Its his ship. They make it go but he's holding it together.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well he's outcoaching the heck out of Scott Skiles.

I thought Skiles would have been a much bigger challenge but save for motivating his guys in the first half last night, he's basically been helpless.

Getting swept after sweeping the Heat would be an ignominious end.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

But even better, what does it say about the Heat?

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

He's a top three coach right now..............
    Popovich, Jackson, and Saunders, any order, are the top three.
    Miami's Riley gets moved to the middle of the pack............

Go Flip !!!!!!!!!! :gun1: :gun1: Cleveland...........

11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

What can you really do when 90% of your team simply wets themselves on the court?

12. roscoe36

What I am saying is that I think I have overestimated Skiles. I was under the impression he was this fiery, button pushing, defensive genius.

I'm not saying he isn't good. He just isn't as good as I had thought he was before this series.

13. mikhail1973

I don't think that Riley, the coach, should be moved. It is all on the shoulders of Riley, the manager not making any moves after last season hoping that there's enough steam in that old locomotive of his. And if Wade didn't get injured, they might've gotten just enough calls to get to the Finals again.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is what we all wanted from Saunders, right?

He used creativity to design a scheme that is baffling Skiles.
    He seems to have completely prepared the team for everything the Magic and Bulls threw at us. We have not been surprised by anything.
    The players are as motivated as they were in '04.
    He's distributing minutes to a wide range of players and even trusting JMax in real game situations.

Who, knows, maybe this guy is shmarter than we give him credit for. Joe D seems to like him.

15. mikhail1973

This is only his second year with Pistons. He has been more assertive. Possibly it is helps that Ben's enormous ego is no longer around. Maybe Joe intentionally let Ben go to support the coach he thought could get it done. Joe's been known to be on coach's side more times than not. At the same time look at Minny since he left. What have they been able to do? I think this guy has been proving his worth.

16. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I don't recall anyone being so charitable when the Pistons stunk it up againts the Cavs. It was all Flip's fault. There was no mention of the players, yes Ben too, stinking it up on the court.

The Pistons have stepped it up a notch. The Bulls maybe playoffs newbies but they played the Heat tough last season when the Heat won it all. Let's not diminsh the arse whoppin the Pistons are givin them by saying the Bulls are just wetting themselves. Skiles has been outcoached in this series so far.

17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

1st off...I said it was a combination of the two, so don't paint me as having said it's all Bulls.

2nd...triple-teaming Lebron (a coach's decision) IS/WAS a bad idea. No matter how well you play as a player, you're not in a good position to be successful and it almost got us eliminated against a team we should have beat in 5.

18. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I think it's too early to tell. There is truth to the saying about coaches being only as good as their players. Flip was handed a really good team that can outperform others on muscle memory alone. JoeD made Flip a better coach by significantly improving his supporting cast of assistiants as he does with roster upgrades.

19. mikhail1973

I believe he made him even better by letting Ben go. Ben didn't like the zone, he was rebelios, and kind of led Sheed to that as well. That's why it looked like Flip lost the team last year.

20. roscoe36

I like Flip. There are no perfect coaches (LB playing Darvin Ham over Memo against NJ).

He still says a lot of contradictory stuff, but I have seen a consistent improvement all year, particularly on defense.

I bought into the Ben Wallace, zone is for wimps stuff, but the reality is that Flip is good at coaching it, and the Pistons are good at running it, and now we have a new weapon following the no-touch rules on the perimeter.

I still don't like that he favours Hunter at times, and we haven't developed a backup PG, but then I have to give him some credit for sticking with Delfino when he has been bad, and playing Maxiell in important minutes.

Just win baby. I can't remember the last Pistons 7 game playoff winning streak. I can't remember a team this focused. In 2004, they were growing as players, believing in themselves, but this year, they know what they can do and their collective will cannot be denied (yet).

Who knows? Maybe we flop in the next round, and I will be ticked off, but I know there is enough blame to spread around for missed shots, poor intensity and lack of playmaking.

After seeing the way the Heat went down with a HOF coach, with nary so much as a whimper, you gotta believe that a lot of success is predicated on good luck, hard work, and the right atmosphere.

This year, despite some key injuries (Sheed, CBill), Flip has managed to preside over a successful season. Maybe he was just fortunate to be in the right spot at the right time. Maybe he had a hand in some small part of that.

I haven't watched any Cavs playoff ball (insert puke smiley) but from what I have read, it is mostly Cleveland riding dominant performances by LBJ and having a very battered first round opponent. We've had to face two spunky teams, one that after they beat the Heat was picked by many in the East to roll us on the way to a Finals berth.

It's not coincidence that Ben Gordon has been shut down like never before. Nor is it coincidence that Tayshaun has been allowed to grow large enough to cast a shadow on Luol Deng.

How many consecutive games will the Pistons have to win in the playoffs before even the most ardent Flip detractors tip their hat to him once?

It's easy to say Championship or bust, but I've been following this game a long time, and Chuck Daly could have had 4 straight titles if the moons were in alignment. They weren't and he got 2 ships out of the deal after almost being fired twice.

Like Ben Wallace, who people said couldn't shoot and was too small, Flip Saunders also has critics to answer, and these last two years in Detroit are quickly erasing his lost opportunities in Minnesota.

As I get older, I become a more moderate fan. There's more fun in picking out all the different shades of grey than jumping on one side or the other of a black and white argument.