How long does JD last under the TG regime ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Feb 11, 2011.

?

Who long does JD last ?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2011.
  1. gone before this season ends

8.6%
  2. at the end of 2011

20.0%
  3. til the end of 2012 assuming the planet is still here...

17.1%
  4. til the end of 2013

2.9%
  5. til the end of 2014

5.7%
  6. he's Golden

45.7%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well we stink now. But we don't know what constraints JD has been under the last3 years. Will JD want to stick it out ?
    This includes resignations.
    I can't vote in this poll. Supposedly it's in bad taste for poll maker.
    :yellowprison:
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That has stopped you before?
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

One of your better ideas for a poll..

But there wasn't a choice for giving him a one or two year trial period. So I didn't vote.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I could see him gone tommorrow or golden.... he is just to classy to say what he's been thinking the last couple years...

If he gets on with new ownership and is given a free hand to do what he wants I think he's golden.

I'm saying this with a hope that he's had handcuffs on the last few years and with those off he returns to making trades that improve the team.

As his drafting has gotten better his trading has gotten worse, if the trade portion of the equation is due to ownership then I want him in charge going forward.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Long enough to redeem himself for some recent decisions that he's made. Joe has brought me a lotta joy over the years and I hope he gets a chance to go out on top and on his own terms.

...unless his first decision under the Gores regime is to offer Rip Hamilton another two-year contract extension.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The only reason I'd give Dumars a chance now would be to see if his performance was somehow limited by directives from above (not God, but ownership).

If I were Gores, I wouldn't can Joe D. That would be too bold of a move to displace a Pistons legend right out of the gate. He needs to win the fans over first, then make moves like that later if he things they are appropriate.
  7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This is probably the best answer. He won't be gone anytime soon - he's bought a lot of leeway with his success over the past decade. Gores has been around long enough to know that the public loves Dumars.

Really, his only flaw has been his handling of coaches. He takes a lot of flack for his draft picks, but I'll bet that if you stack them up against other teams, he's one of the better drafters in the league. His biggest mistake was Darko, but that's one most of the teams in the league would have made. But look at some of the other guys he's drafted that are making their mark in the league: Cardinal (44th) Okur (37th), Prince (23rd), Delfino (25th), Amir Johnson (56th), Maxiell (26th), Afflalo (27th), Stuckey (15th), Jerebko (39th), Daye (15th), and Monroe (7th). That's 11 out of his 22 picks that are playing above their draft slot - most teams are lucky to get that out of a quarter of their picks.

His trades have been good - netting Wallace and Atkins for Hill, Hamilton for Stackhouse, a 2nd overall for Otis Thorpe (though the result of the pick was infamously bad), Sheed for a bunch of scrubs. His big free agent signings have typically panned out (though the jury remains out on Gordon and Villanueva).

There's some fear that he may be losing his touch - or his Cyrano De Bergiac in John Hammond - but I think he's at least earned another couple years to show that he can put things back together. Let's see what he does when the financial reins are loosened up after the sale of the team. Gores would be a fool to let him go so soon - especially since nobody here has ever suggested someone that would be an adequate replacement.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Kind of like Tom Monaghan letting Ernie go.

But I don't know why you guys think Bill Davidson handcuffed him? Maybe called the shots on a couple things like Larry Brown. But I don't think he got involved in personnel moves.

Karen wouldn't let him spend money, but that was just for a relatively small portion of his tenure. No. I think Joe's F-ups were of his own doing.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are such a whiner. Just vote already. :pound: :stirthepot: :cold: :yellowprison: :hoops: :gun1: :nerd2:
  10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

These two thing can go side by sid e without interference.

I won't give Joe credit by what he had done in the past but since the franchise has come to a standstill since the oldman passed away. Joe deserve to have some times to re-start the engine if the new owner is willing.

Actually I don't think Joe was handcuffed, he has just been in way of a caretaker cabinet under Mrs D.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't really think he was hampered either, but not 100% sure what sort of directives or constraints he has had over the years.

If I could give Dumars any advice, it would be to get back to what made him successful as a GM in the first place. Find defensive players and guys with potential who are overlooked by others. The 3 Championships that he's been involved in have all been some of the toughest, most intimidating defensive squads in the history of the league. Rodman and Ben Wallace with spectacular guard play and some solid role players.

We need to find the next Rodman or Ben Wallace.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They did not have "fire him now before I take over or I won't buy the team"

So I voted for the next best thing - before the end of the season.
  13. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Joe mumbled that the league had changed when he signed CV and BG which sounded like he was trying to entertain someone bigger than him. It was just my feeling.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't get it Tate, what is "til the end of 2012". It's all trial.
    If Gores is family, I think Joes got til 2013. And the team will be > .550
    I look at the Bulls at ~.700 without their center and think we missed the boat.
  15. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Tom Gores made his money by being a thinking man. My guess is he's already made up his mind and will just keep Joe on til the end of the season. He'll spend the rest of the season interviewing other Piston management people to assist him in deciding who stays and who goes.

P.S. Having a cat imposed on Tom Gore's suit creeps me out. :)
  16. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

I voted he is golden but I think there is a fairly good chance he is gone by the end of this season. Either Joe or Gores may have already decided he is gone asap, but if they both want to work together they will ride it out for a few years. Maybe for no other reason than Gores wants to learn as much as he can about the NBA from Dumars before he makes moves himself.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah that's some kind of felinedemonic.
    ---------------
    I'm thinking JD can write his own ticket. And those guys that say he's gone by the end of the season are voting with their heart not their mind.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Good one Lee, nice job. :pound:

I have a hard time picturing Joe and his greasy popcorn hands working well with Tommy Gores and his snazzy attire.

Has anything summed up Joe's recent work better than his 2 marquee FA signings being out on the floor during garbage time last night?
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He has constructed the best bench in the league.
  20. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Not sure if that's a quality I want for our team....:)