How many of us have been in the trenches?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by explosivity, Apr 18, 2007.

1. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

On the cusp of the playoffs I know a lot of us are putting a lot of pressure on our Pistons to "get r done" this post-season. We are obviously on the outside looking in. We make judgements, we praise, and last but certainly not least we critique. We also spit out stats, notice trends, and sometimes semi-prophesy (Low). A lot of the time we do this with great effectiveness.

I put this thread together so that we dont forget the very human aspect of playing sports. I am very interested to hear of those who are in this forum of their prior athletic experiecne and prowess.

I think this can be somewhat cathartic for some of us in here and maybe relieve some of this playoff pressure.

I myself played Varsity Basketball and Baseball at Farmington High School in Michigan.

:stirthepot:

:cheerlie-GOAL:
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Explo,

That is an interesting point you raise. It is very very easy to criticisize and we often times forget that we can't even beat all the guys on our own playground.

I played a lot of baseball and basketball growing up (middle school, high school), but the only thing I've done at a high level is golf-

Captain of high school golf team for 3 years.
    One year, we were favored to win the state title, but took 2nd.

Walked on to college golf team, and was later kicked off for insubordination.

Played in Western Amateur, US Amateur, etc. Last year, I got into the Illinois Amateur and had the lead midway through the 2nd round... saw my name on the electronic leader board, and proceeded to blow it.

This year, I'll try to qualify for some of that stuff. If it happens, I'll let you guys know so that you can track it. For a lot of it, they have real time internet scoring.

Having had a taste of real golf competition, I'm always sensitive to how outrageous people's expectations of Tiger Woods is and how impressive it is that he seems to be satisfying them.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Cranbrook Kingswood Highschool

Varsity Basketball (PG) - 2 years
    Varsity Track (captain, sprinter, long jumper) - 3 years
    Varsity Wrestling - 1 year
    Junior Varsity Football - (Defensive Back, Wide reciever) 1 year

Chess Team (State Champion Runner Up)
    (Chess is a mind sport! lol)
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Chess is one of the only games out that there requires zero luck.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well...I played on the golf team in High School. I was easily rattled under pressure. I agree with TaShawn about the competitive excellence of Tiger Woods.

Shooting under pressure in basketball ...probably comparable to a putt under pressure?

TaShawn...you have to give us the story on the insubordination..
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wasn't really big into sports when I was younger. Discovered the Pistons and tried out for and/or made my high school team each year. Won a division championship in high school but my role was somewhat small. I was Lindsey Hunter.

Went to basketball camps for 3 summers during my teens. Loved living and breathing ball each day.

Played bball recreationally up until I moved back to the East coast 8 years ago.

Coached some flag football, always wanted to follow up on coaching but didn't create the time or opportunity.

I'm no stranger to stress or pressure, but it hasn't been very often in my life that it was sports related.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though I only played high school bball... and always came off the bench, I still had a couple of high pressure free throw situations. I'm a very good free throw shooter in practice, but I would say that I found the difficulty level higher than any putt I've ever had in golf. For one thing, you're either out of breath, or pumped up, and your heart rate increases either way. There is also the component of having other teammates there who are counting on you in bball, whereas in golf, you are only letting yourself down if you fail.

That being said, golf has a pressure all of its own, and some high strung people have trouble coping with it. You have to have a relaxed confidence and a short memory for mistakes. Good golfers tend to develop a mindset where they are always looking 1 shot forward and only worrying about what they can control (e.g. you never hit away from the water, you hit toward a spot on the opposite half of the green). I would say that Chauncey Billups is a perfect example of a guy that falls into this category.

My insubordination is not really a good story. The gist of it was that I shot a round of 2 under par that included a 10 on a par 4 due to some really quirky breaks (hit the wrong ball, which was marked the same as mine, then 5 minutes to look for mine expired, so I had to take a 2 stroke penalty for each and go all the way back to the tee to hit my 5th shot). When I finished my round, which except for that fiasco was spectacular (-8 on the other 17 holes), I got lectured from the coach on how much of an idiot I was and how he couldn't trust me in competition if I was going to make mental mistakes (think Larry Brown lecturing Delfino). I was still on tilt, so we exchanged some words. The next day, I showed up late for practice (ala Dale Davis), and that was the end (ala Danny Crawford).
  8. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have a lot of sport experience so I can defintily relate to the pressures / expectations of the players.

Highschool:
    Varsity Swim team GP North 4 years -
    All-Mac Conference,
    MAC Conference MVP
    All-State

NCAA:
    Varsity Swim Team Carnegie-Mellon -
    All-Conference (12 x),
    NCAA All American (6 x)

On both teams we had a lot of post season experince and expectations, exceeding sometimes as well as failing. Although sometimes there were meets where I was the clear favorite their were plenty of times where the pressure really effected my performance. This is why I really can respect (although hate the players using as a crutch) the underdog persona. Whenever the team was the underdog was when we reallly excelled. I think this is because the pressure was there, but without the fear of dissapointment / failure. This allowed the looseness that every athlete knows about -- the looseness that acompanies the feeling of "Im going to do really really good." Almost as if it is already determined. This is why I think this year the Stones have a good chance, because they are not getting all the love. I actually wanted them not to get the first seed to further this.
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I was always a complete choker.

Only played basketball three years in high school and two in college, but there wasn't exactly a great basketball culture in early '70s British Columbia and my career was over by the year my team made the NCAA tournament, so the pressure was never very great.

In any case, experience does not inform most of my opinions about basketball, and it definitely doesn't make me any less contemptuous of people like me.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One thing that is really hard to do is to realize how much immaturity comes into play with young athletes... and especially pro bball, where a lot of the players forego college.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mental state was the biggest thing holding me back in my physical prime.

These NBA guys are not that old. Even Dyess, who seems like the wise old vet, is only 32 years old. In most business environments, he'd still be considered the fresh faced kid.
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

1. Played neighborhood stickball from the age of 5 -12, during the Brewster Project days. (that's in the trenches for your arse lol)

2. Ran track at Mumford High School

3. Played Varsity Basketball at the University of Maryland

4. Interconference Desert Basketball in Bagdad and Kirkuk 2002 & 2003.
  12. max

max All-Star

My 2 sports were baseball, up until HS, and Tae Kwon Doe from JR high through HS. Was in some competition but nothing full contact.

Lets face it. Life is sometimes a struggle, deadlines at work, financial pressures. I think what helps draw some into sports is the inspiration you can get and apply in your daily lives.

I am also of the opinion that with the kind of cash pro-atheletes make its fair game to critisize them.
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    In my younger days back in Ukraine I was a soccer goalie on our class team. The team was pretty pathetic because our group concentrated on mathematical studies, so most of the people were more of a scientific type and not much as far as athletes. Anyway, to make my story short, in our first inter-school game I pulled a Tim Cheveldae on the team (he was a much maligned Red Wings goalie). I would stop the most difficult shots, and then let the easy ones in. With score 4:0 my team just tossed me out of there. (we played with no coach). That was it for my competitive sports career. Btw, they lost the game 9:0.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dabbled in football, baseball, and basketball in high school (very small school - getting on the team wasn't too hard).

Played on the UVA ultimate frisbee club for three years (broke the top five in the country a couple of times, but never got higher than third), then volleyball until my knees gave out after college.

With Max that these guys get paid enough to stand some criticism, even some that's unfair. They're in theory the best 450 on the planet (o.k., toss in another couple of hundred in international leagues who could make an NBA team) and make enough money to be able to arrange things such that when game time comes they ought to be focused and ready.
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Wrestling and shotput in high school, backing up the area's best in both and dreading the beatings I took in practice. One season playing rugby at Michigan State, where my athletic highlight was waiting too long to come on the field against Wright State for the kick after a successful try. The ref (our coach, bending over backwards to be impartial) waved off the attempt and we ended up in a tie. It would have been the only match we won that season.
  16. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I played three sports competitively when I was younger, a lot younger.

I played soccer in high school and even got a letter. I wasn't very good, mainly because I couldn't run very fast which is being gracious.

I also played basketball in 6th grade as the backup center. At 12 years old I was 5'6" tall which was was pretty tall for a 12 year old back in the 50s. I never grew past 5'7 1/2". It was weird. I went from being one the tallest pre-teens to one of the shortest post teens. LOL

I also played competitive chess when I was a teenager. I won several tournaments and had a ranking at its peek of as I recall somewhere around 1,400. I wasn't very good as you can see by my ratings but in chess there are tournaments for all levels of play.

Pressure seemed to always affect me adversely on a physical level but I usually seemed to arise to the occasion when it came to mental competition, i.e.; exceeded the levels that one would have expected given my native intelligence. I attribute that to being able to focus great mental energy on a project for short periods of time, whereas I could never to the same thing when it came to something physical.

:hoops:
  17. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I was 5'2" back in 10th grade, and only weighed 105 lbs. My only option was wrestling. I wrestled one year and lost more than I won. I quit cause I saw too many kids starving themselves to make weight. Most of the kids I wrestled were at least 6" taller. I enjoyed the matches a lot.

Played Men's softball from 18-21 years old. Did well and so did our team. I could not hit fastpitch, so there was no high school baseball career.

Many people reach their adult height and weight early in their lives.
    I was 5'8" tall and weighed 140 when I graduated. I'm now 6' and weigh 195..............
  18. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

..During 7th grade I was about 5'6 which was pretty tall for the time (one of the tallest on my team) I played basketball from Junior high into highschool (started from 7-9th grade)

played soccer in 9-11th grade didnt start but played signifigant minutes..and if they kept records on the 9th grade team Id like to think I hold the record for goals scored at 24 for a 9 game season for my school... had like 4 hatricks that season.

I only ever grew to like 5'9 and change and currently I sit about 170 if only I had this strength when I was in Hs (was about 150 in Hs)
  19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Impressive!
  20. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I'd still play some of these sports if our coaches weren't so spiteful.

Small High School in Michigan

Chess Team (Freshman): Placed third in a state tournament held at WMU among freshman.
    Basketball: Still playing (now a sophomore), . . I can play every position, but I'm not outstanding at any particular one other than PG (destitute man's Magic Johnson).
    Football (Freshman): Starting safety/OLB

I played baseball in elementary. All-star, baby. :nerd2: