How many of us have been in the trenches?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by explosivity, Apr 18, 2007.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Big props to all of the outstanding chess players out there. Chess is not a sport, though. It's a great game, but so are euchre, poker, cribbage, Monopoly, Scrabble, Chutes and Ladders, Tiddly Winks, etc.

I played tennis and basketball in high school. I played tennis in college and also coached men's and women's college tennis for 4 years. I currently coach middle school basketball and Little League baseball.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

A sport is defined as:

A competitive series of actions mental and/or physical between two or more senescent beings which from time to time or more frequently involves the placing of public wagering upon the expected outcome of the competitive activity.

The two requirements for something to be classified as a sport, both of which chess meets, are:

1. It must be competitive between 2 or more senescent beings
    2. The public at large must wager on the expected outcome.

Chess is a sport.

:hoops:
  3. BillLaimbeer

I'm sure bookies are making millions on all of the chess wagers taking place these days...

I guess if Tiddly Winks is indeed a sport, than chess must be a sport, too.
  4. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Played all the sports growing up in Southeast Michigan, Northwest Ohio (baseball, soccer, basketball). Was always pretty coordinated, but not very strong-tall and lanky (I'm currently 6'6" and 180-think TPrince).

Hit the baseball for average, but had to drop out of the game when I first met a curveball- life changing moment. Excellent glove though, people used to come to see me make Willie Mays catches in centerfield and dig balls out of the dirt at first base. Played at small high-school until sophomore year, then decided that there was this girl on the track team I had to meet, and somehow picked up the discus. Ended up making all-District in discus solely based on my long wing-span.

Basketball was (and is) the love of my life. The real reason I quit baseball and soccer was to devote myself to basketball. I got a late start, too late to ever develop any dribbling skills, but I was able to get a pretty sweet jumper, always trying to have that perfect JoeD form. Somehow I developed some pretty good hops (could throw down a 360-dunk), and made all district as a senior, averaging almost 20 a game. I played 3-years at a small college at one of the losingest programs in NCAA history (I chose the school based on academics). Midway through my sophomore year, I was leading the nation in 3-pt shooting (really), then went home for Christmas break and blew out my ankle in a pick-up game, and never really recovered.

My career in sports was never really very stressful, because I was always on bad teams. You can get a sense of how it felt to be me athletically by read Pat Conroy's book "My Losing Season" (read it, its great!). Lots of melancholy (without the sadistic father, though). We were never playing for league titles, rarely for winning games, so there weren't many times I was under pressure to perfrom.

Now a father of two boys, and loving seeing them take their first steps into sports. For my money, despite all the high-profile bozos in the sporting world its still the best way to raise a hard-working grounded person in our society.
  5. buddahfan

I tried to find some betting sites for tiddely winks but could not. Maybe you help us out. You never know when someone would want to bet on the next wink.

ChessBase.com - Chess News - Putting your money where your mouth is

https://www.betsson.com/en/exchange/index.asp?url=/en/exchange/market_list.asp?categoryID=24

6. BillLaimbeer

If you play chess against a computer, would that be a sport?

Which of the following of these are sports:

Marching band?

Cheerleading?

Debate team?

Spelling bee?
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

After my freshmen year at Henry Ford HS I moved to Springfield Mo... made the team and was the starting PF my Junior & Senior year (Glendale High)... unfortunately we weren't a very good team and were one and done.
    Also was the #2 starting picther (the other guy had scouts latched onto his leg).... as a kid I moved a lot because my dad was a construction engineer...played a lot of ball in Pasadena Ca., Garland Tx & San Juan, Puerto Rico (all year around)...
    In PR I became good friends with San Juan's ball boy and we used to hang out in the locker room with Tony Perez, Orlando Cepeda & Ken Singleton ... those guys would teach us the finer points of the game.... it was a great experience as PR is a hotbed for major leaguers to come for winter ball... several free baseball camps to attend in an informal setting.
    As a pitcher I used a big bender as my out pitch... overuse of the curve caused some damage to my ligaments so I had to move to the OF (senior year).

Because I played PF I find myself being critical of that position (Sheed drives me nuts)... I just can't accept not fighting for inside position and failing to box out.
    Never won any mid-court shooting contest though :^)
  8. buddahfan

Go back and reread my definition. A computer is not senescent. In Star Trek NG they had an episode about whether Data was senescent. It turned out that he was. But as far as I know there are no "Data's" "Lor's" or equivalents at this time.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Spelling Bee is a borderline sport. I think you'd have to have the kids running on a treadmill while they are doing the spelling to make it a real sport. Then they probably wouldn't keep asking for the definition and word origin etc.

What about those hot dog eating contests? My brother in Law competed in one at a Lansing Lugnuts game and choked on a wad of hot dogs. They had to call an ambulance.

So you have the danger factor involved.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Hot dog eating definitely has some high stakes wagering involved. Are the hot dogs senescent, though, or are they those Ball Park franks type?
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well now you're getting into techicalities Bill...I didn't know what senescent meant but I was thinking it meant they were scented or something. You ever eat a Hyames Field hot dog? It would be something like that.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ya got me goin' on that one
    :pound:
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

IMO the term 'sports' has to involve a physical element...everything else is just a competition. Chess is not a 'sport'. Poker is not a 'sport', though ESPN has treated it like one to rave reviews from couch potatoes everywhere.

Given my criteria for what defines a sport & outta your list?

Cheerleading is definitely a sport...with a number of significant injuries every year.

Marching band? Definitely. They practice longer hours than the football team under the same weather conditions. Don't know if you've seen ever a HS marching band that plays competitively 6-8 Saturday's a season after Friday game nights, but it's serious stuff.

To be fair:
    I've seen a few debators that have hyper-extended an elbow while trying to make their point and seen some spelling bee'ers stretch to grasp a word they've never heard before.

BTW...senescent? I had to look that one up...guess I'm just getting old.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

With tidily winks you can easily hyper extend your thumbs... these guys have to do thumb ups (think push ups but but only with your thumbs)... they have to refrain from nose picking and flipping the bird for days at a time.... then there's those grueling manicure sessions....
    Oh yeah, it's sports alright... never say tidily ain't diddly :nono:
  15. buddahfan

It is nice that we have so many differences of personal opinion on this subject without anyone being pedantic and close minded about it. LOL

:gun1:
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Well, I'm out.
  17. buddahfan

I thought it was obvious to you guys and gals how physical a sport like chess is and how one get incur all kinds of harm and injury playing chess. Here are some examples

The White moves their King side Knight to attack the Black Queen side Knight. The Black Queen side Knight captures the White King side Knight and in the process spears the player in his heart with his lance thereby prematurely killing the him.

or

The White moves their Queen side Bishop to the Vatican leaving their King side Knight exposed to be captured and tortured by the Black Queen side Bishop in the Black Queen side Castle.

Those are just two of the literally hundreds of thousands of ways a chess combatant can come to physical harm including death by playing chess.

A most daring and dangerous sport to say the least.

:gun1:
  18. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Detroit Benedictine High School

• Undefeated Freshman team (thanks to my manz Todd Burgan who eventually transferred to Pershing and shined @ Syracuse)
    • JV captain Sophmore year
    • Finally made varsity Junior year, rode the pine
    • Played HS summer league ball @ the legendary St. Cecilia's and the Boys & Girls club in soutwest Detroit.
    • Held my own at Little Ceasars/Mike Ilitich's ASAP camp @ U of D which featured Detroit's finest HS players
    • Also got busy @ Metro Index camp @ U of Toledo
    • Senior year stepped my game up, got more pt, we brought home the Catholic League Title!
    • Oh yeah also coached my nephew's 10 and under church league team to a 2nd place trophy in the playoffs (you wouldn't believe how political and biased that league is, the refs drove me NUTS!)
    I guess that's most of my resume, certainly takes me back down memory lane.... I still hate St. Martin De Porres, lol!
  19. Rip 32

Rip 32 First Round Draft Pick

im only in 8th grade but i play soccer and basketball in soccer my team has one 2 tourneys(in soccer) one ship game was against our rival and it was 40 degrees on the feild rainy and muddy and everyone was sliding around and playing there hearts out we won 5-1 it was a emoyional game and in basketball we had a ship game against our rivals again and we won by alot agin and it was a fun game it was a game where i felt i made huge contributions
  20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm pretty good at Jenga. Never went pro, though. I really like to yell "Jenga!" when the structure falls.