How many of us have been in the trenches?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by explosivity, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I rarely watch TV, but I'm certain I've glimpsed some reruns on several occasions. They have some books out too that are pretty decent, if you're a reader.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Thanks for reminding me.

But I am sure the kids today know more than we adults do. You Tube etc

The first command in the bible is to be fruitful and multiply. I have never understood how eating fruit could be a sin, when we all know that it is healthier to eat than a McDonald's Angus burger.

:hoops:
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The only casual reading I do is late at night. And I am currently immensely enjoying a great Sherlock Holmes set of III volumes, with all kinds of fascinating notes. Thanks anyway.

:hoops:
  4. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Was a repeat All Star little league baseball player. But alas, I grew up in family that stressed academics. My Mother thought sports was just kids playing around.

Gave in to peer pressure, tried out for and made the track team in my senior year of HS. Hated it. Found out the hard way that I dislike running for training purposes. Did put up my best long jump in the State meet though.

Found my calling on the tennis court after college. Teamed up with a former collegiate player (mixed doubles) and went on to earn a USTA ranking (5th) in the Midwest Region during the early 80s. Had fun whipping up on club pros and such. Married my partner then let her talk me into hanging up the rackets to concentrate on us. Dumb!! Might have had a chance to make a serious mark in tennis had I started at an earlier age.

Love softball. Have played & coached with & against all level of player including ex pros and one USSSA HOFer. Can still outplay most guys 20 years younger but have lost the desire to stay/get in shape. Will likely give it up before another major owie.

Can carry a +200 average in most bowling leagues and will probably take it more seriously next fall. If you can score, league bowling = $$$$$$$. :)
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

doh!! that kinda sucks - you'd think she would want to keep the tennis thing going! i was an awesome little league player and a dominating pitcher - until everyone grew up and i stayed the same weight and height...couldn't throw hard enough. my dad thought i'd be a pro ball player and that was always my dream, so i tried out for a couple travel teams but didn't enjoy it so i quit, and my dad was really angry lol. i finally grew from 5'2" to 5'11" in-between 9th and 10th grade, but by then it was too late.

i played most sports throughout school, in high school it was varsity baseball and tennis, and i stopped running track when i realized i hate running without an accompanying activity. :) in college i played intramural basketball where we played with 5 guys while all the other teams had 10, and we'd routinely lose 130-30.

unfortunately none of my close friends play sports, so i was lucky to get a job at a big company and have the opportunity again. now i play softball, wallyball, flag football, basketball, tennis, and golf throughout the year.

i was also a highly-competitive counter-strike player for awhile until the terrible 1.5 version came out and my internet connection went to poop for 6 months, so now i just do things for the professional games like write match statistics software.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Hog...glad you mentioned wallyball...a lot of people have never heard of it. I haven't played in probably 7 years. Before that, I played weekly for about 15. I'm 5'9" and the shorter net allowed me to spike with either arm a lot better than volleyball. Very accurate setup man, a vicious serve off either wall, skilled at diving saves, and the ability to clock-it from the backside of the court on volleys. Alas, I'm getting old...I miss the game. :(

We played 4on4, 4on3, 3on3, 3on2 & 2on2 depending on who showed up. 3on3 was the best.

Match statistics? LOL!