How much does regular season mean?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 11, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There may be a point to that article, but I have no idea what it is. The author just rambled from one topic and team to the next. I guess it's okay to ramble without making a point if you simply call it a "blog".
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

So what don't you understand? The framework of an essay is a trilogy of components:
    1. Tell the audience your concept of what you will try to answer.
    2. Tell the audience your explanations and answer the concept.
    3. Tell the audience what you just said.
    Number one begins like this:
    The inclination has always been that the NBA regular season doesn’t mean much to the top teams. It’s nothing more than a warmup for what can be more than a 25-game second season through the Finals.
    But however much or little you want to make of regular-season games, they are barometers that physically and psychologically have an impact on the rest of the season.
    Number two states some constructs and supporting evidence (not quoted). This has some nice broad information that trips around the league so the audience is drawn in regardless of their geographic location.

Number three ends like this:
    And that’s just the point we’ve been trying to make all along. On the surface, these games may not seem to mean much to teams destined for the playoffs anyway. But they do. They produce matchup situations that carry over to the playoffs as we saw in the dramatic Golden State upset of Dallas. They create enough confidence that maybe an upstart team like Portland knows it can accomplish certain things against a playoff team every time they play.
    It’s about knowledge, momentum and consistency. All of that is created or lost during the regular season – and that’s assuming a team makes it to the postseason at all.
    There might not be the clarity or exactness of a superb and gifted argumentative or persuasive essay; but, one should be able to get his point. Yes?
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

:lecturer: :lecturer: :lecturer: :lecturer: :lecturer: :lecturer: :lecturer:
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm with Bill - writing a thesis sentence then putting a number of random paragraphs, then saying "So there" does not an argument make.

And it's a silly argument anyway. Good teams who are successful in the playoffs win in the regular season. Yeah, the Bullets went through the playoffs like a does of salts once after a average season. But with four rounds and seven games, that just isn't going to happen today.

Sure, every now and then a fundamentally flawed team like Golden State will trip a better team like last year. But they won't make it all the way through. The playoffs are too long to rely on getting hot. Nobody plays above their norm for two months, against the best teams in the league.

Everyone says that San Antonio takes it easy during the regular season and saves it for the playoffs - mostly based on the number of minutes the starters play. Look at the standings - they're the third best team in the strong West, with the same number of losses as #1 and #2. Can you really imagine Pops letting someone take it easy?
  6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Regular season games are good for

1. Developing the stars of tomorrow
    2. Selling tons of commercials
    3. Selling tons of media
    3a. Employing thousands of people in the media
    4. Consuming tons of food and barrels of alcohol
    5. As a good excuse to be with the boys
    5a. As a good excuse not to have to talk to your significant other.
    6. As a rationalization for spending thousands of dollars on a larger HDTV and the complimentary acoustical equipment.

:hoops:
  7. BillLaimbeer

Don't forget:

7. Qualifying for the playoffs.
    8. Getting home-court advantage in the playoffs.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

They don't need to play for #7 and #8, the league can just use Hollinger's computer program to play out the 82 game season on a computer.

:hoops:
  9. pass99

Not so. This is basic stuff. If you are over 25, you will become a huge part of the knowledge industry; where a great of your success might hinge on your communication level, both verbally and written. It will not always been done for you, like institutional knowledge, via knowledge trees (i.e., Wikipedia, etc.).
  10. BillLaimbeer

I know you have a highly stupendous communication level, but what did you mean by a "great of your success"? I'm a little slow sometimes...

"It will not always been done for you". Is that good or bad. It seems confusing irregardless...
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Try again.....some of these thoughts are not clear (articulated well for me to understand). Thanks for your imput though.:)
  12. pass99

This should read, "a great deal of your success" (in the original). Take you for example: you have had a great deal of success and an equal amount of perceptive knowledge from a player/coach perspective...this, I might add, within the only game invented by the United States. Yet I find very little of that knowledge base or perception transferred to this forum. Why is this?

And regarding your last line and my subsequent comment: I am not so big to make myself so small. I should add a smilie with that last line, but it would only un-confuse you.

It always comes down to some basic principles regarding selected knowledge dimensions. One of the better concepts of this direction is from an astute fellow named, T. Beckman. Here is his summation:
    • Shared, formal knowledge and expertise are the key to superior organizational performance, agility, and success.
    • Explicit and tacit knowledge:
      • Knowledge must be formalized, or made explicit, to have significant value to an organization.
      • Only formalized knowledge can be represented electronically, and stored shared and effectively applied.
    • Practical and theoretical knowledge:
      • Possessing both experiential and methodological knowledge is more valuable than either alone.
      • Practice should be integrated with methods and models.
      • Learning from experience is more vivid, but not very efficient. There is also a human tendency to overgeneralize from one or several experiences. When available, it may be preferable to learn from experts, books, and training. Learning from the experience and mistakes of others is often more effective.
      • "There is nothing more practical than a good theory." -Albert Einstein.
    • Knowledge and Learning:
      • Balance collecting and organizing available knowledge with learning and creating new knowledge.
      • Integrate knowledge management and organizational learning to create more value to the organization than either one separately.
    • Knowledge and expertise:
      • Knowledge is applying information and data to make valid inferences.
      • Expertise is superior performance in reasoning using knowledge to perform tasks, solve problems, make decisions, and learn new knowledge.
    Now... granted this is somewhat a didactic approach, although no less valid. Here is another astute individual, along the same lines of knowledge principles, approached from a more comfortable setting. His name is Tom Davenport:
    1. Knowledge management is expensive (but so is stupidity!).
    2. Effective management of knowledge requires hybrid solutions involving both people and technology.
    3. Knowledge management is highly political.
    4. Knowledge management requires knowledge managers.
    5. Knowledge management benefits more from maps than models, more from markets than hierarchies.
    6. Sharing and using knowledge are often unnatural acts.
    7. Knowledge management means improving knowledge work processes.
    8. Access to knowledge is only the beginning.
    9. Knowledge management never ends.
    10. Knowledge management requires a knowledge contract (i.e., intellectual property issues).
  13. max

max All-Star

Whatever happends you absolutly need to be one of the top 3 seeds. Top 2 if you can but definetly top 3. Thats a lot harder to do out West which is probably why they play with a lot more intensity.

Beyond that if you can develop your team and make it better then its only going to help.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I want you to know, I am your biggest fan (on this forum at least).