How to Beat Chicago in the Playoffs/Vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Apr 28, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

After watching the Heat/Bulls game last night, the Bulls exposed their vulnerabilities.

The bulls are not a physical team, yes, even with Ben Wallace.

Chicago is vulnerable to trapping and and man to man defense, result; numerous turnovers, Miami would have won this game but were unable to apply that same defensive pressure in the second half.

The pistons are younger and more athletic than the heat, therefore, we will successfully apply the pressure.

The Pistons must play physical ball for a full 48 minutes, limit chicago's fast break points, and force the bulls to play pistons tempo. Love to see more mm defense and less zone in this series. Hopefully Flip will unleash his infamous full/half court press if we meet the bulls which seems highly likely.
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

All this works for me as well................
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I said all along that Miami was the team we had to worry about. Miami is as good as history. I believe the Chicago series will be tough, but I pick the Pistons in 5. Chicago has two weaknesses which will doom them. One, they really don't have a backup point to Hinrich. Billups can get Hinrich in foul trouble and really mess badly with Chicago's offense.

Next, Chicago has no inside game. With Detroit already one of the top perimeter defensive teams, it will only get worse for Chicago as we don't even have to worry much about guys like Ben Wallace and PJ Brown. When Nocioni comes in, he is just another outside shooter really. We have them beat on height on the perimeter, and have plenty of quickness. Sure, if we do not adjust a bit, Chicago could manage to drive inside on us, but Jason Maxiell or Dale Davis will end up getting enough minutes to stop that. Chicago will have a terrible time trying to score.

On our side, we will score readily. Again, the height on the perimeter is all to our advantage. Deng is a decent defender for instance, but Tay will shoot over him all day. Ditto for Rip over Gordon, while Billups will simply take Hinrich right out of the game by muscling past him, forcing him to foul. Webber will score a bit inside for us, if he plays that much, but JMAX will be scoring inside if its not Webber. We will have a post game for Chicago to contend with. No way they will stop our post game while at the same time shutting down our excellent perimeter game. Chicago does have a lot of fire power. The Pistons more and better.

Onto Cleveland. A cakewalk after beating Chicago. Pistons in 4. Next is the West. Who will come out of the West is anyones guess. I believe the worst case for us would be Golden State making it thru. We have not done well vs. GS this year, but its just a matter of one simple adjustment. With Davis and Richardson being so able to get to the basket, no way Webber can play much in that series. JMAX and Dale Davis will be playing instead, and Golden State will be reduced to a jumpshooting team. Tay will be guarding Jason Richardson out on the perimeter, and Tay will shut the guy down. After that, GS is toast as they can't make up for Richardson's scoring, and they are not much of a defensive team.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Lee makes many good points.

I do believe that the Pistons defend the perimeter with the best of them, it's the defense of penetration that they have a problem with and..

1) The Bulls tend to fire off the jumpers in lieu of this

2) Their lack of inside offense will allow our bigs to play help defense more freely than if a guy like Shaq was manning the middle.

3) No D Wade

4) No D Wade

5) I cannot stand flopping crying making up booboos D Wade
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am worried about Deng. Guy has gone crazy. Tay needs a good series.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good overview by Lee. Duhon played OK last night but backup point is a weakness for sure.

It looked like, for a moment last night Miami was back in control and Chicago was losing it's poise. But when they came back to win...what a confident and hungry young team they have become.

I'd say inexperience is a weakness we can exploit but it's almost becoming a strength for Chicago.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Inexperience becomes a key when you can throw a youngish team off their game. The Heat were able to run up a big lead when the Bulls kept turning it over, but Miami wasn't able to sustain anything positive once the Bulls got their act together and started taking care of the ball better. The Pistons will have to sustain some real defensive pressure in order to get the Bulls rattled in any way.
  8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's true, as well as Flip S. I don't believe him.
  9. max

max All-Star

Thats the way I see it. That Deng/Tay matchup will be the key to the series. Deng has burned us before slipping through the defense for those easy layups.

Everyone is going to have to make an effort rebounding with the bigs keeping Ben off the glass.

Chicago will give away a lot of possetions which will help the Pistons a lot. With the TO differences the Pistons will get 5-8 more shots/game with all things being equal. Have to take advantage of that.

Man I hope we don't jinx game 4 with this.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Deng is too fast for Tayshaun to cover one on one. His length is also negated as well.

We'll have to exploit mismatches at other positions. The way Billups has hustled and defended against Orlando, I do not think that Ben Gordon will be a huge issue, particularly when we can throw Hunter at him for a change of pace.

The Bulls are small and can run. We have to force them into a deliberate half court game. Early foul trouble on PJ Brown will be critical because Ben doesn't get many fouls.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee and Amy have made many good points. Lee, if we get by Chicago as we all suspect, what I worry about is Stern's officials siding with Le Bron. Will we get a reasonably called game? The only team left in it that I fear is the Spurs.

The Bulls can't handle pressure on the ball. They are poor at the end of the game. We must pick up Gordon at the half court or he will put up that quick three.

We have to get up on their shooters (I would actually prefer to see either of their guards drive). Take away that initial look. Our bigs ( Sheed, Dice, Maxiel (he should play) can block a lot of their shots. They are not great finishers, ok, but not great.

We have to take away Brown's short jumper and that will be it for him.

The big thing is: No Wade and no Shaq. We don't have to adjust that much and we can play our game.

We should be able to get what we want offensively provided we move the ball a bit and not stay predictable. If Tay takes 5 years to post up someone, Ben will be there to block the shot. There are mismatches for us all over the floor.

We should wear down Ben playing a host of bigs. We should play this team going 10 deep even.
  12. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

In my opinion you forgot the most important ingredient to stopping Chicago. Stop Deng. If you stop Deng and pressure their guards starting at mid court you beat Chicago. You can do this with an effective three man zone press and double teaming Deng. You don't have to worry about Ben as long as he isn't getting layups.

Minus Deng's scoring Chicago has absolutely no inside threat. So if you stop Deng down low then you force Chicago to become a jump shooting team. That means it is basically up to Gordon and Henrich. Henrich can be stopped if you pressure him up high and not allow him to get set for face up jumpers. That leaves Gorden. That is fine. If you shut down Deng and Henrich you really don't have to worry too much if Gorden goes off for 30 as long as he doesn't go for 40 plus.

:hoops:
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What is the concensus here?

Do we need to focus on our offense or our defense against the Bulls?
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Absolutely! :MusicBigGrin:
  15. buddahfan

Focus on the defense and the offense will take care of itself. Hold Chicago to under 85 and we should have no trouble winning.

Actually I heard that the PIstons are 11-2 this year when Prince scores more than 20 points. I really like that percentage.

16. max

max All-Star

There will be plenty of time to talk about this after today, in 4 more hours.
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's inevitable Max. If it isn't over today, it will end next game.

The only way Orlando beats Detroit is if they immediately add a guy named Jesus to their roster. Additionally, they better make sure his last name is Jordan.:MusicBigGrin:
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm trying not to react to last night's game too much, but the Bulls were pretty impressive. They weathered two strong Heat pushes and a tough atmosphere and controlled the game down the stretch. But...

Hinrich only played 19 and 28 minutes in the first two games against the Heat and the Bulls did o.k. Especially given the slump he has been in, Duhon had a nice game last night. If he continues to round back into the form he had the first half of the season, I don't see that Hinrich in foul trouble is all that devastating for the Bulls.

Not sure I can see this advantage so easily. The Bulls aren't built to score inside, though Thomas has pretty much had his way with the Pistons in the regular season. Both teams look to shoot from the perimeter, where's the Pistons plus? The Bulls take a lot of shots before the defense sets up and run a load of motion / cutting stuff. Complaining about Pistons guards getting beat off the dribble has been a pretty standard thing around here. I think they'll have a tough time with all the cutting.

Mostly agree. Gordon really isn't a defender, though Hinrich is touch and can give one of the Pistons guards a rough time. If Tay's outside shot is going he can be tough, but Deng is quick and always on the move. Getting out of the three spot even seems like a pretty good outcome for the Pistons. If the Pistons go into the post, they should have some serious advantages even against Ben.

On the bench, Skiles has been pretty impressive. He threw a lot of interesting and effective lineups against the Heat last night, and isn't afraid to sit anyone down.

Re Roscoe - I think it comes down to the Pistons defense. Offensively they should do o.k., but stopping cutters and quick athletic big men (Thomas) haven't exactly been strengths.

I'm hoping the Heat get their act together and at least push this thing to six.
  19. buddahfan

It Orlando it ain't over until Roger Rabbit stuffs Mickey in Toons Town.

20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Indeed.

Also, don`t forget Nocioni. In three of the Bulls/Pistons matchups this season, Nocioni had a DNP. He is physical, and gives us problems.