How to Beat Chicago in the Playoffs/Vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Apr 28, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am more afraid of Gordon than Deng, he is much more consistent with his shot and can shoot the lights out when he is on.

Don't worry, Tay will handle Deng going out the back door.

Expect to see the second team defensive silent assassin on deng like a cheap suit.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Chicago shot .460 against Miami, while allowing a .445 shooting percent.

Pistons shot .449 against Orlando, while allowing .478 shooting percent.

We can't bring weak stats to this series. Chicago will cause us to have more turnovers than Pillsbury............................

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is what Orlando does though. They shoot a very high percentage and turn the ball over a lot. However, look at our 3-point shooting. We killed them from behind the arc, cause their bigs couldn't get out there. That is why our eFG% of .495 was the exact same as theirs. Also, we held them to below their season average of .500 eFG and we shot better than they usually allow.

If you can break even shooting % with Orlando, then you have them beat. Because we made 8 more free throws per game than them! That is a ridiculously large differential. Also, they turned it over 17 more times than us in the series.

Plus, Darko shot 60% against us. As much as I like the guy, he doesn't always do that.

We focused on Howard, and it worked. He shot 6% worse than he did all season and got 1 less FT per game. He turned it over 4.25 times per game compared to 3.9 for the regular season. His rebounding percentages were down as well. He did everything worse against us than he did all year.

4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Re: Ahb's long-winded drunken breakdown

Pistons will be the underdog in this series, simply because we don't know what pistons team will be out there on the floor. Chicago is hungry and they are playing to win.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

My most important Matchup is Skiles against Saunders..................
    The "little flamer" in Chicago seems to be progressing quite nicely as a coach. Flip needs this one to change the minds of some critics. Many will see this as a seven game series. I see the coaching as pivotal..

6. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

So what?
    It absolutely does not.

7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Tay is very good defensively. We can argue whether he's top 4, 6, 10, etc. in the league. He helps us quite a bit to guard the superstars. Whenever we play a team with Kobe, Wade, LeBron and such he is primarily responsible for guarding that opposite player. He's not always going to be able to shut them down. When someone's shot is falling - there's no stopping them. But without Tay we'd really struggle on defense. Lets hope he can slow donw Deng somewhat. In that series against Miami Deng really didn't have to play much D, maybe Tay can be a little more offensively minded to get Deng to spend effort on D to take away from his offensive game.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

ahb, who are in your 5 (defensive small forwards)?

Just trying to get a frame of reference.

9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Ron Artest
    Bruce Bowen
    Shane Battier
    Andre Iguodala
    And, just to be an %%%%%%%, Carlos Delfino.

Kevin Garnett would be in that list, but he plays quite a bit of time at the 4. McGrady and Bryant play mostly at the 2. Josh Howard and Richard Jefferson aren't bad, but are overrated. Shawn Marion's almost unbelievably overrated. There are a couple of younger players - Danny Granger, Renaldo Balkman, a few others - who I haven't seen play enough to make judgments on but I'm disposed favorably towards. Quentin Richardson, if he could stay healthy, is quite good. Smith and Kirilenko try to anchor their team's defense from the wing, which (as their team's mediocre defenses show) is difficult; they're below-average man defenders. I think Mickael Pietrus, Paul Pierce, and Ruben Patterson are good. Corey Maggette and Stephen Jackson are inconsistent. And I think Luol Deng is a respectable defender. I'd probably place Tayshaun somewhere around James Posey and Rashard Lewis – not bad, certainly above-average, but usually overmatched in quickness.

I'm almost certainly forgetting somebody.

10. mikhail1973

An interesting take by McCosky on the Pistons-Bulls series:
    Don't be fooled by Bulls' cakewalk

11. mikhail1973

And another interesting take:
    Small-ball era dawning in NBA

12. mikhail1973

Fox Sports NBAGuru blog take:
    Not half bad • NBAGuru's Blog - FOX Sports Blogs

13. mikhail1973

14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

That's true.
    That's not. Is Chauncey quicker than Jason Williams? We all saw last season that he's not. Is Rip quicker than D-Whistle? Not by much if at all (no, the shoulder didn't make him run slower). Is Tayshaun quicker than James Posey? Maybe, maybe not. It's true that Lindsey, Flip, and Fino are quicker than their Heat counterparts, but they aren't the ones playing 35 MPG.

The Pistons' athletic advantages over the Heat are in the paint.

15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hey Ahb,

Just for the record, a few questions...

1. Who is your team coming out of the east this year???

2. Do you have a home team that you root for?

3. Can the Pistons do anything to beat the Bulls? (Besides Tay being inactivated for the entire series)

4. What part of Chicago are you from? (sounds like a south sider to me)

5. Should we trade Tayshaun in the off season?

6. Will the Bulls sweep the series in the NBA Finals??

16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I support Detroit. I think Chicago is the best bet right now.
    My "home team" for the past 30 years has been Detroit. Right now I live in the Bay Area and support the Warriors as well, but that's more a fad than a rooting interest.
    Make shots and apply consistent energy on defense, and hope Flip's defensive schemes are well-designed. Also the entire team needs to rebound. Mercury's suggestions are well thought-out.
    I've never lived in Chicago. Nice city, though.
    If the Pistons can get a better player, of course. If they can't, no. Tay's a good role player, and isn't a locker room problem, and that's a valuable commodity even if he's overpaid and overplayed.
    If they make it there, no. I believe the Spurs will win the championship no matter who they face in five or six games.

17. mikhail1973

Hey, Ahb, I guess we have some similarities. I am Detroit fan and now live in the Bay Area supporting Warriors (they're a fun team to watch). I agree that Chicago is cool. But I still think Pistons should win the series if they apply themselves. And the Pistons should keep Tay. They won't get anyone better for him.

18. Rip 32

Rip 32 First Round Draft Pick

Although we have been 1-3 against the bulls i dont know if were gonna win this one in 5 i say we'll win in 6 or 7 lets detroit plays their way of playing theres no other way to win they must play DEEETTTRRROOIIITT BBBAASSSKKKEETTTBBBAALLL!!!!!!!!!

19. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Can't wait for this series, The Bulls look awesome but I think they are a year away from being "ready".

Long time Pistons fan, first time Poster, I watch ALL THE GAMES, so IMHO here are the Keys to beating the Bulls.

1. Extend to and Defend the 3 point line, they have 0 inside game.

2. Back off Deng a half a step, make him a college 3 point jump shooter or deeper. MAKE HIM GO RIGHT. I have great confidence in Tay to contain him when it really matters.

3. Rip needs to run Gordon/Capt Kirk into the ground/ragged around screens and find his jumper. His cold blooded execution of Orlando in game 4 was a thing of beauty and reeked of Miami in 05 and NJ in 04. :cool:

4. Get Sheeds ass on the block at least 1/2 the time. Nobody except maybe Ben can guard him down there, and I even doubt that... While you're at it Post up Dyess and Webber. Post up Rip and Billups too. None of the lilliputian guards of the Bulls can handle Chauncey's Strength nor Rip's height in the post. None of the Bigs on the Bulls can handle Webber's Bulk except maybe Ben either.

5. Webber can not hang with the foot speed of the Bulls, he needs to play sparingly and NEVER when Thomas is on the court. NEVER. He should really only play when PJ Brown is playing. More Mad Max, More Dyess.

6. Rebound, the drop off has been embarrassing since Ben left.

7. DO NOT hand away game 1, and home court, like last year vs MIAMI, please. If one team can get games 1&3 they will have the series by the balls. (see Wings vs SJ).

8. Can we Bench Nazr and activate Amir? I see no functional role for Nazr in this series and Amir matches up beautifully, even if for short stretches with Thomas and Co.

9. Noccioni will be a huge factor, that guy scares the %%%% out of me. He is clutch clutch clutch. A real throwback guy. Like Battier with a MEAN STREAK.

10. Chauncey - Stay aggressive. Stay out of F-150 commericals. :)

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

st8ofmind,

That just about nails it. Please email your thoughts to Flip Saunders.