1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

How To Defend the Pick and Roll

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 26, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

How to coach and teach the basketball pick and roll play

The Panda likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Somebody should order that Flip Saunders DVD and mail it to him. He could learn a thing or two from watching it.

3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Put Afflalo on the ball carrier and keep Max and Sheed at the PF/C spots. There are some guys that will fight through picks, and some that wont. Most of our main guys won't. AA has shown that willingness. And the big needs to be mobile, and willing to step out to stop the guard from turning the corner. Dice/Nazr won't cut it there, because they don't have a prayer in recovering. Amir would probably be capable but he doesn't have enough experience to know where to be instinctively.

4. buddahfan

:cheerlie-GOAL::p_welldone:

:hoops:

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ball carrier? Are they playing at the Palace or Ford Field? LOL.

6. buddahfan

Bill:

Come on man. Everyone who follows the NBA knows that all the superstars carry the ball and never get called for it. Even the non-superstars get away with carrying the ball. Geez

7. BillLaimbeer

I thought about that. Then, I remembered that the superstars that carry the ball (LeBron, Kobe, Wade, etc.) don't use the pick-and-roll that much. They just want everyone out of there way (including the Pistons, if you think LeBron driving the lane in last year's ECF).

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

We are talking about Lebron James and the cavs coming up tomorrow/tonight, right? He pick-and-rolled us to death last year. I think it applies :wave:

9. BillLaimbeer

I remember a whole lot of LeBron isolations doing the most damage.

10. buddahfan

Lebron does so much on the court, that it is easy to remember him doing a lot of things on the court.

11. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

It was a lot of work when Flip cut, copied, and pasted together his DVD. Way too much trouble to read the stuff too.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Really good read on how the Bulls defend the P&R. The funny parts come when they use the Pistons as examples of how they break from their system because of our awful perimeter shooting threats. Basically, their theory is to not help in the P&R and to stick to the shooters... except when it is Stuckey or Maxiell. Seeing the pictures makes you realize why the Daye/ Villanueva formula with our best P&R thread (Bynum and Drummond) was a necessary ingredient. For the rest of the league though, they let the guard and Noah defend the P&R and live with the results. I think that even though it is Thib's idea, Frank should piggy back on it and train Drummond and Knight to follow the rules while the others get their butts out to the perimeter.

There are some other Pistons mentions in there after he moves on to other topics too.

The Chicago Bulls and coach Tom Thibodeau's quest for perfection - Grantland

Laimbrane, brofmfa and The Panda like this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

I'm tempted to give buddahfan his first "like".

14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

What happened to buddha?

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He opted out of forum membership after letting himself be offended one too many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks buddahfan for some great information.

Have a nice day.

coynejeremy likes this.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

They don't have to help because Brandon and Stuckey can't turn the corner on a hedge out, nor can they make an open mid range shot when going under on the pick and roll. Will easily turns the corner and his scoring ability draws help defense. Jose's threat to make jumpers at a high rate also draws help. The inability of Brandon to actually run this play is why I'm so high on trading him away.

18. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

That's the one thing about BK that scares me. That Kentucky dribble drive offense has almost zero pick and roll, which didn't help him. Outside of the Triangle, the NBA is a pick and roll league.

Here's the thing though- The pick and roll is one of the easiest things to learn. About ten years ago, a buddy of mine had a little brother who was riding the bench on his high school team. The kid had ZERO talent, but he had solid handles and a nice mid-range shot, because he loved to play and he was always shooting hoops. My buddy and I spent THREE DAYS with this kid and one of his friends (another bench kid), working the foul line extended pick and roll (Stockton to Malone). Within a couple of weeks, both of those kids were hot off the bench. It's really not that difficult. If anything, it's harder to find a big guy who can roll to the basket, than a guard who can put the ball where it needs to be.

By the way, Michael Curry, G*d D*mn his cursed soul, was one of the best pick and roll defenders that I've ever seen. Ben Wallace was as good as anyone who's ever done it.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Then why hasn't he been able to learn it in 2 years? And in Stuckey's case SIX YEARS!!!! Easy to learn, yes. But easy to execute against the best basketball players in the world? Not so much. Brandon has great handles when the defenders are 2 chairs and a broomstick.

20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I saw this, and yes, it is an excellent article. It explains why the Pistons (Singler esp.) always seem to be out of position on those corner threes.