How To Fit The New Guys in?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There were hints in a recent article that Joe is done making moves for the Summer "Unless someone bowls me over with an offer".

This is what we roll with:

C- Nazr Mohammed, Rasheed Wallace, Dale Davis
    PF- Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, Jason Maxiel, Amir Johnson
    SF- Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Delfino, Amir Johnson, Ronald Dupree
    SG- Richard Hamilton, Ronald (Flip) Murray, Lindsey Hunter, Alex Acker
    PG- Chauncey Billups, Lindsey Hunter, Will Blalock, Alex Acker

Fifteen man roster complete.

So how do these new players fit in with the veteran core?
    Will they improve on the departed players Ben, Delk & Cato?

The depth chart (discussed in another thread) is open for debate.
    Flip eluded to the fact that starters will have to get used to resting more (even when they don't want to)... whether you believe Flip or not there has to be some decisions on the bench players.

Is Delfino a mainstay?... Can we count on his to be the slasher and outside threat at the SF/SG position. With the acquisition of Flip does that mean that Delfino is viewed solely as a SF?
    We know he's a decent defender (when healthy)... how many minutes would be fair to evaluate his potential... do we just hand over the position and say it's yours to lose?

Amir Johnson- Is he destined for another year in the D-League?
    It would appear that he's stuck behind Delfino and J Max... or will he give either of these guys stiff competition?

J Max- Does he get a shot as long as McDyess is on the roster... another year on the pines waiting for an injury? What is considered fair PT for the Brahma?

Flip Murray- This player is very intriguing. Joe said that he's a good defender, contrary to his reputation. He can break teams down off the dribble. He can spot up and shoot. Not known for a consistent long range shot (just like Rip two years ago). He's listed as 6' 4" or 6' 3"... is this really big enough to defend averaged sized SGs?
    Does Flip really have the handles and aptitude to run a team as a PG?
    What about defending quick PGs off the dribble?
    Flip has a player option after this year. He has a lot to prove if he wants to get a decent long term offer... does he just go for the scoring stats?
    He's received a lot of negative reaction from this forum... but we do owe his a fair shake to win us over... whatcha got Jr.?

Alex Acker- No guarantees he'll even be on the roster. Management has already stated that he's better suited as a SG... well that opportunity went out the window with Flip coming on board.
    Rumors are that Macabi is interested. If that's the case Acker is free as a bird after his Euro deal is over... what happened to all of the "We really like him he was a steal at #60" talk? We only have two spots available at Sioux Falls (D-League) with Amir and Blalock that may not be an option for Acker (the more seasoned player).

Will Blalock- A PG with handles... can drive and a willing distributor. Can he keep teams honest with a perimeter game. From the two games I saw in the SL this is a legit concern... for that matter is there any of our young prospects that is a perimeter threat? Blalock was a junior in college so he does have experience running a team in a major program.
    The the question is... can he stick on the Pistons roster... or is he destined for a long stint in the D-League this year... The answer depends on how Flip views Flip Jr as a backup PG. Are we counting on Hunter to run the show off the bench or just as a defensive stopper and a veteran for the playoffs?

Ronald Dupree- Deja vu all over again (X3)... we know his game... slash and get out on the break. Decent defender (open for debate) and a team guy. Not much deep range but can hit a mid range shot. He's never sniffed enough hardwood to show what he could do as a backup (unless you're looking at Chicago). Is Dupree even a threat to Delfino for minutes?... Or is he nothing more than insurance?

One man's opinion?
    This and $1 will buy ya a roll of TP

I believe that Delfino will finally receive a real opportunity to win the spot at backup SF... the decision time is now and he's not trade-able pulling splinters out of his arse. I would say he even gets preferential treatment over any of the other SF prospects... It's his to lose. He knows the plays and he can defend... so there should be a lost mentality. How long he gets this shot is up for discussion.

Amir- From what he has shown in the SL he appeared to have taken a step back. He simply was not a factor on either side of the ball... considering that he's still learning the SF position and working on improving his handles and perimeter game it he would be an obvious choice for the minors for one more year.

Acker- I'm guessing that he takes an offer from a Euro club. The Flip signing was a big blow and he can read the writing.

Blalock- Because of the need for a true PG the kid has a shot to stick with the big club... but I'm thinking they may want to give him some regular PT in Sioux Falls... it could be a case of going down and up a couple times depending on how well our backup PG's do (and health).

J Max- Something says that he's going to get some burn... there is nothing left to prove in the SL and he wasn't a candidate for the D-League last year. There's always the possibility of a early season trade to make room (or he's shipped)... first man in if there's a big man injury.
    5 MPG?

Flip- I think they'll give him quality minutes at the backup SG and maybe short stints at PG... best guess is 12-15 minutes.

Dupree- Get yourself a good magazine my friend... your just there in-case Delfino fails or someone gets hurt.

Your thoughts?
  2. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks Mercury, beautiful simply beautiful work.

Delfino, hopefully he can maintain that same defensive intensity and just build on his jump shot. Last year we saw short glimpses of him being a pretty good defender.

When I had NBA TV, I watched Flip Murray a lot. Just like people thought Rip played poor defense, actually he did when he was with the wizards. I think a lot depends on the system that you come from.

If you are with a team that is not into that defensive mindset, your play is conducive to the environment of the team. I like Flip and think that he is a steal and will prove to the fans that he is a baller.

I think Nazr will make us forget about Ben, it won't appear that way initially, but before the season end, a lot of fans will come over to the dark side. I really admired the comments he made at yesterday's news conference, when he said that he will prove the doubters wrong. I like that attitude. Give me a player who has something to prove, that's a dangerous man.

I also like the comraderie that exists between him and Tayshaun, both Wildcats, I think that they will definitely compliment each other in a major way.

Rasheed will probably become the fan favorite, remember the shouts of Sheed, I hope Ben didn't feel like he was slowly being overlooked as a fan favorite.

I am so looking forward to this upcoming season, I don not believe that we will fall from grace, but we will be right up there at the top of the pack, running things....GO PISTONS................
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Hopefully, although (FYI) they never actually played together in college. Nazr left for the NBA after his junior year of '97-'98, which was the last time UK won the championship. Tay's freshman year was the next season, '98-'99.
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Delfino will get his chance to prove himself this season. So we can really see what we're dealing with. Is he a lazy bum, or is a valuable young player for the future? I'm optimistic about 20 mpg.

Acker sees the writing on the wall, and he'll go wherever he thinks he can make a living playing a game. Another year at the end of the bench is a waste of his potential, and he'll go where he can play, whether it's Europe or Tel Aviv, but I don't think it'll be here.

JMax is a big question in my mind. I think it's hard to project what will happen this year without seeing how he stacks up against NBA caliber SF's & PF's. 5-10 mpg, maybe. An injury or falling out with the coaching staff by another player could help his cause. At least we know he works hard.

Murray: I don't know much about this guy so I'm not going to posture the knowledge. But if Saunders says the starters are going to play about 30 mpg, then there is potential for him to fill a badly needed role. I don't know about him at the PG. We'll probably see it early and it'll play out from there.

Blalock could see some minutes if Murray doesn't fit in well at the PG. Lindsey keeps himself in great shape, but time will tell. I expect Blalock to see some time in the DL.

Amir is probably headed to the DL again. He may come up if there is some injury but he needs to transition to the SF skill set. Honestly, I think he'll probably end up more of a inside/out PF like Sheed, but he'll need to work on his jumper either way.

Dupree I think will may see more time than we expect. I can see him as a option to defend the taller SG's that Flip struggles against. Also, if Delfino gets slid over to defend bigger SG's once in a while, Dupree may see time as a quicker slasher over JMax.

Nazr: Will probably start at the C. And see 25 mpg at least, if he has any offense whatsoever.

Flip Saunders will be a better coach this season. With new guys coming in, and the Starting 5 done, he'll mess with the rotations and the plays more without the fear of hurting chemistry.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree with playing delfino. He should get his chance. Acker should be gone. But I think he may come back...next year.

I think Dale would start with Naz off the bench...I still consider Nazr an improving player. He may start later or at least encompass most of the minutes but at the start, I'm thinking davis.

Both Amir and Blalock will be D-league regulars. Lindsey may mentor Mookie2 and will be the primary point with flip shifting to the 1 as needed. I liked how Lindz contributed off the bench.

I think we will see a little bit more of Maxiel. But not much more. You have to watch the 2nd unit because lindz, Flip and Max...leave something to be desired in the height department. I just hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

One writer compared Flip to Joe Dumars with the versatility. He did need minutes to get his points so he's not necessarily the microwave. He may have the potential to be a great defender, this team will play a more offensive brand of basketball. I think if our organizational culture was defense first he might be a good fit.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Nazr may be a bit under appreciated around here. I know one of his big weaknesses is picking up fouls on the defensive end. I'm hoping my man Rasheed can show him how to move his feet a little better, and help him not to bite on the fakes as often.

I read some of the critique at the Spurs forum, and there was lots of talk about hands of stone. This is the exact opposite of his days at UK. He was actually very good at recieving the pass. Hopefully we see that side of him here, since it would be nice to have some inside scoring.

I think we see Delfino backing up Tay, unless he can't finish. Then superdupe comes in and Delfino is traded. I also like his potential, but last year it seems like he didn't score alot when he was in the game, and I think we all know the new mantra is "score, score, score"

I would like to see 10 minutes per game from the Brahma. He plays the kind of basketball I like to watch.

The rest of the guys... I don't know much about the rest of the guys. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    :fingerscr
  7. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

You know, I thought Joe D was listed at 6'4 as well but at the press conference Flip was clearly a couple inches taller than him. Although this could be attributed to a couple different things, its something that got me thinking about that very question.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The issue I have is this...

Lindsey, Blalock, Delfino, Murray, and Dupree... None of them are outside threats. That was always the problem with the bench before. No one can hit a shot consistantly from the outside (via Flip's usual offense), and lindsey can't create offense off the dribble, so the entire bench suffers. No one plays up to their potential.

That's why I've always thought we'd be better with Delk in there stretching the D, and Delfino/Murray initiating the offense. Delfino will look to setup his teammates more often than not (kicking out to Dice or Delk), and Murray will pretty much try to score every time he touches the ball. Instead, we're left with the defense completely sagging off our perimeter players, and making it incredibly tough to get anything near the rim.
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JMax - I seem to be in the minority thinking that he might not make the team. I get that it's great to see him blast his way to the hole, but I wonder how often that will happen once the league has seen it a couple of times. I remember how Delfino used to drive and dunk the first ten games or so he played last year, and how that seemed to dry up as other players figured out what he was going to do. He got a lot of shots put back in his face from then on. JMax's defense seems questionable, and he doesn't rebound. It might just not work out.

Delfino - I sure hope he gets a chance so I can at least stop saying that I think he can play. At this point I'm not all that sure if I believe it or I've just said it so many times that it seems right. BTW, I think that Delfino can play in this league.

Blalock/Acker/Johnson or JMax platoon to the development league. At least one of them goes somewhere else.

Nazr - I agree with folks above that we haven't given him the benefit of the doubt and he will be all right. Especially if Sheed were to get it in his mind to work with him and Mohammed were willing to take the advice. As many have said, you can't teach tall and together the two of them take up a lot of space. I do think he will start and not DD.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hi Dumars,
    I was talking about the article in todays Detnews or Free Press, tthe reporter was talking about the close friendship between Tay and Nazr.

I guess this friendship must have developed once Nazr turned Pro.
  11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Generally speaking “I just don’t know”.

There are too many questions concerning the new guys, the old guys, and particularly the coaching staff.
    Will Sheed be a leader. Will Billups play like he is in a contract year or not. Will Tay and Rip continue to expand their game. Which Nazr do we get. Is Flip M. Dr. Jeckle or Mr. Hyde. Is Los shooting hundreds of jumpers daily, or just his mouth. Hopefully Lindsey and Davis aren’t another year older. Hopefully Amir and JMax are another year older.

My only comfort is in knowing Dupree is gonna give the guy ahead of him he!!. every day.
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It's a new year, and a new team. I think Nazr will fit in fine with the starting unit. Saw him play with the Knicks a couple years ago, he has talent but was inconsistant, and fouled too much. Hopefully, a year playing next to Duncan taught him some things, and having a fifth offensive threat will open up the O. D is all about effort, I'm sure Sheed and Co., will help him.

As for the rest:

Now or never for Delfino, he is the backup SF, maybe SG (depending on how Flip does). Dupree is nothing but insurance, you have to more than 2 small forwards.

Flip is the backup 1 and 2, don't know anything about him, but am worried about how his stock sank, hope he fits in, cause if doesn't the only alternatives are Blalock and LH.

Acker, gone. If he was the answer, we'd never have signed Flip.

As for JMax and Amir, JMax may be the next Darko. I doubt he'll ever get real pt on this team, and he may have to demand a trade just to get on the floor. Amir is young, he has one more season to develop.
  13. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Do we still have the option of resigning Delk? As far as I can tell he has't signed with anyone else. I would like him back.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Only if we don't sign one of Acker/Blalock.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With the signings of Hunter and Murray, there is no use for Delk on the Pistons roster anymore. The team has six (Billups, Hamilton, Hunter, Murray, Acker, Blalock) guards already. Plus, both Delfino and Prince can play SG, if needed. There is simply no room for Delk.
  16. MaxieltheBeast

MaxieltheBeast Second Round Draft Pick

so mercury,the roster will look like this without the double positions?That is 15 so i guess samb will go back overseas

nazr/davis
    sheed/antonio/maxielthebeast:D /amir
    prince/delfino(he'll probably be traded though and I hope it's for harrignton)/dupree(no way amir will play over ronald at SF
    hamilton/flip/acker
    billups/hunter/blalock
  17. max

max All-Star

I don't know if the last pick and the 2nd to last pick in the draft has ever worked out. So can we do it twice?

Make it or break it year for Maxiel as most likely everyone except for Johnson and possibly Samb will be pushed out by the 2 pending 1st round picks and probably a half-way decent 2nd round pick next year.

I kind of see us bringing in a few backup points in the pre-season as they are cut from other teams.
  18. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Sometimes players who fall to the end of the draft or even out of it seem to find another gear once they reach the league. Ben Wallace, Bruce Bowen, and Brad Miller all went undrafted and I'm sure there are other examples.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Some guys take longer to develop...or they are better able to use experience to better their game.
    The big thing is that its a lot harder to maintain a team than it is to build one. With the pistons especially, the 'parts' were not as easily interchangeable.

Hopefully this season, we'll have more interchangeable parts: Davis/Nazr come to mind.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I might be the lone idiot screaming in the wind on this one, but it is very important to get Alex Acker back on this team. I am really high on him, and with his length, the length of Sheed and Tay we should be really effective playing passing lanes in the zone.

Gotta keep Acker. The kid is a baller.