How To Fit The New Guys in?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nope. I think lots of us feel the same way.

However, I'm afraid the Pistons are going to "lose" him and I think it will be a huge mistake.:mad:

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree. Keep Acker. That's why I was perplexed by the Flip Murray move. I think they should have spent the BAE on a big man. Unfortunately, none to be had.

3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I wish he would stay on the team, but I just don't see it happening.

4. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

After last season I am pretty sick of the 3pt shot, I'm sick of jumpshots period. We have plenty of guys who can get to the rim, but Flip's system requires so much spacing and ball movement there is little room for 1-on-1 play. I want to see some points in the paint screw the 3pter.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I figured it would take at least two seasons before you got turned off by a modern NBA offense Dave. :laugh:

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the past couple of years, the Pistons have only used 3 big men to cover the 4/5. Perhaps with Ben gone, this year will be different.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dice averaged a little over 20 last year, Ben just over 36 and Sheed just under. That only left about four minutes for anyone else. Assuming Dice edges up to the mid 20s and Sheed stays the same, that covers 61 of 96 minutes. If Mohammed were to come in around 25, that would open up ten minutes a game for another big man.

The opportunity should be there for someone.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Don't take this as whining, but if Mohammed can stay out of foul trouble long enough to get 25 MPG, I will be ecstatic.

Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing D Squared play 10 minutes (every second game) and Maxiell 5~10 (every single game)

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not to worry, at Mohammed's last season foul rate he can play nearly 38 minutes a game without fouling out. :nod:

What happened? I thought he was a seven footer. His bio only lists him as 6'10". Next thing you know someone is going to find a picture of him barely coming up to Prince's shoulder.

10. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Mohammed has never been listed as a 7 footer as far as I know. He's always been listed as 6'10". He's a legit center because of his bulk/strength and his lack of quickness or pf game offensively.

He's a fine player, but I'm not really happy to have him as a starter. Off the bench, great.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It has nothing to do with wanting to shoot jumpers. The point is, you need it as a threat or teams will sag, and you won't be able to get into the paint. Especially when you factor in Lindsey into the equation, since he is not capable of creating offense off the dribble.

12. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I truely don't think, in this offense, we have to worry about guys not taking jumpers. It seems to be what this team has become on offense.

And while it is needed to keep defenses honest, it can also hurt you when they're not dropping (see the 2006 playoffs), and you don't have guys with the ability or desire to get to the higher percentage shots (Take it to the hole!).

13. Hobbs

I think his point was you have to be a threat to actually hit the jumper, not to take it.

I think pretty much every team in the league would be ok with Hunter, Flip, Dupree, Carlos and whoever else is on our bench taking a jumper. There's no real reason to guard those guys out on the perimeter because more often than not they aren't going to hit even a wide open jumper.

So, the other team would logically pack the lane making it impossible to "take it to the hole."

14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

exactly.

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

this arguement confuses me. from what i saw, that mid range jumper was what flip wanted. who drives the lane with consistent results? if teams sag...perfect! open j!

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Exactly. You need a balance; the abilty to take it to the hole and shoot (effectively) the J.

This just in, D Wade drives the lane with consistent results per David Stern or somebody. See last years playoff %!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I was talking about our team.

18. Hobbs

It won't be a midrange jumper that is open. It will be the three point line for guys that can't hit three pointers. The midrange shot will be blanketed as will the driving lanes. If all the defense sags off the three pointer then they're at the perfect spot to stop midrange jumpers without moving and can easily stop the drive with minimal movement. Not having a threat to hit a three pointer destroys floor spacing.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Right,
    Without the perimiter threat teams can double on the ball, which often leads to T.O's

Delfino is a good perimiter shooter... he just hasn't shown it in our league yet... outside shooting was a strength on his Skipper team (with deep range)... his inconsistency is due to lack of PT (did I just say that?)

I think we'll see a mixture of starters that can knock down outside shots with the bench players.