HQ'S ANNUAL SEASON ENDING GRADES

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Apr 18, 2009.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

AS 1/2 of the greatest tag team wrestlers ever, THE ROAD WARRIOR-HAWK used to say: WELLLL!!!

39-43 IS NOT the standard the Detroit franchise has set for itself. But when you take a great GM like Joe Dumars and you fire a 64 win coach in favor of the guy who carried your jock strap and trade the guy who was MVP in your only championship season for a malcontent who's last name starts with 'I' , then u get a 39 win season. How we'd only lose 43 games?

GRADES:

SF- TAYSHAWN PRINCE......NBA.com : Tayshaun Prince Info Page
    A very forgettable season for an Olympian. And aside from Carlos Boozer, he had the worst season of any of them. He did nothing that any other John salmons type player could have done. BUT, he iS like Ric Flair :meaning he's 82 games, 40 minutes EVERY night. Which is more than 90% of NBA players can say. GRADE: B-

PF-ANTONIO MCDYESS...NBA.com : Antonio McDyess Info Page
    The man did a 20-20!!! Yes, he cant play one on one OR help defense any more BUT he averaged 14.7 rebounds per 48 minutes. His jumper is still pure, he shot 51% this year and he's the classic TEAM player. In retrospect, I wish he had stayed in Denver with CB. He deserved it. GRADE: B

C- RASHEED WALLACE....NBA.com : Rasheed Wallace Info Page

What can I say BUT wTF!!!!!!!?????????????? Looking back on the season WHAT DID HE DO??? He only shot 42% (he's 6'11") and didnt have a block shot game of 3 or more back to back all year. Guards hit layups all yr long on him because he refused to rotate off the ball(like Thabeet at UConn or DMutumbo) would do! A sorry season for sorry PERSON. Ship out Sheed. Thanks for another T! GRADE: C-

G- RODNEY STUCKEY.......NBA.com : Rodney Stuckey Info Page

SHUT UP!!!! The kid played at Eastern washington two years ago and had now was forced to replace an MVP point guard called Mr Big Shot on a team out to shut out Allen Iverson. True, his defense was awful but his potentaial is plentiful. Three words: 23 YEARS OLD! He'll be fine.
    GRADE: C+

G-RICHARD HAMILTON............NBA.com : Richard Hamilton Info Page

I dont know. he was there..but then he wasnt. He played, but did he? He was the captain. But was he? Weirdest season ever. he had the kind of year a 39-43 team would have. Nuff said...

GRADE: C

BENCH- Once again, underused and underappreciated. If you dont instill a wrecksneffects we cant win without you attitude in your bench , they will never be consistent. But thanks to Wil 'Gonnagetmine", Thunder Max, AA, Kwame'better than i thought" Brown, Amir"4minute bruthah" Johnson, Fabio and Sharpe. We dont blame you for your coach's weakness as a man.
    GRADE: C

ALLEN IVERSON: NBA.com : Allen Iverson Info Page

He WAS who i THOUGHT he was. My famous quote 'Iverson has played his last game for the Pistons" was off by 3 lackluster bench appearances. I grew up playing agianst guys like him and he is ALL about him. He did a Gary Sheffield on this team and we wrought what the devil came to mcollect.
    GRADE: F

COACHING: MIKE CURRY
    U know the truth of this. He just isnt a good coach. But whose fault is it for hiring a 'bad' coach. Miami hired a rookie coach. Chicago hired a rookie coach. Sacremento hired a rookie coach. Minnesota hired a rookie coach. We were the only team that 'kept' a bad coach. I blame Dumars.
    But as far as a coaches grade goes? D-
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Overall agree but Dice gets higher in my book.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Dice gets A - he atleast fought. Rip B - suffered under every kind of "experiments" but instead of flaming out as you know who, he decided to do to what he does best -shoot.

Coach: C-. It has been discussed plenty but IMO even more experienced coach would have had hard times with after trade Pistons.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I didnt give dice an A bcuz of his numerous 'pass instead of layup' passes and lack of a post presence, but his heart always gets an A in my book. Its his teammamtes that should be ashamed!!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess had about a month long period in the regular season where he was possessed.

I'm really hoping that he can summon that energy again in the next few games. I know that he is there mentally, but not sure if he has the physical energy. Maybe Varejao was just tough to out muscle today.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

HQ...

SF: That was a slight to Salmons...his overall game is way beyond Tay's. 'The Block' will forever be overrated.

PF: B? Come on. The guy's got more heart than Sheed, Rip & Tay combined.

C: Sheed has gifts very few are given...but he doesn't use them to potential...D-

PG: C+ okay considering Stuckey ain't a point guard

SG: Rip's on-court relationship with AI was like a marriage forced by the parents. B-

BENCH: C okay. What more could be expected given their youthful coach?

COACH: .......................................'They good'.
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I pretty much agree with ya Old Skool, though I would give Dyess a higher grade. And I'd give Prince, at best, a D+.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dice was definitely a grade higher than Tay. Tay ran out of gas probably about the time we started the eight game doomed losing streak. With Dice having a 30 day layoff, he appeared to have more energy, but still in the end he folded in crunch time of almost every one of those close losses with either a fumbled pass or weak shot. Don't get me wrong, Dice was the man this season, but Curry did not have him situated in the right game situations and he just didn't have it when it counted and Stuckey could not set him up if needed in crunch time.
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Hey gang, lemme saw yall grades too. Like Team did. It's a thread for everyone. Then maybe at the end , Ican average them out for an overall Piston Forum grade. Great comments !!!
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

HQ, good work. He didn't get a chance until late in the season, but Bynum probably deserves a mention. He was one of very few bright spots for this season.
  11. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Here are my ending grades for the season..

Tayshaun Prince:: C
    Started out the season on fire..then he slowly faded. He's always available though and is dependable.

Rip Hamilton:: B-
    Played pretty well this season after he got over the loss of Billups. Came off the bench in the middle of the season without crying like a baby (AHEM AI). Pretty consistent scorer, probably our best player this season.

Rodney Stuckey:: B-
    Second year guard and his first season starting PG for the Pistons. With all the adversity he faced this year (Billups shipped out, new coach, new starting line up every other week) I believe he did pretty well. Good learning experience for him and hopefully he comes out next year even better.

Rasheed Wallace:: C-
    Really showed his age this year. The C- isn't all his fualt though, he is clearly being overused. Sheed can't play big minutes anymore and when he does he is exposed.

Antonio McDyess:: B-
    He's in the same boat as Sheed. He played well this year, but he was overused due to there being no big man depth. He had that month where he was an absolute monster on the boards and getting double doubles almost every game. Sad to see this effort wasted.

Bench:: C-
    Aside from Bynum late in the year the bench pretty much sucked this year. Aaron showed some promise though, so lets see what he does next season. Max was average. Amir was a foul machine. Hermann was Hermann. Nothing special.

Michael Curry:: D
    Curry was handed a tough situation, but he in no means made this tough situation any better. He played whacky rotations and made stupid decisions. If the coach shows no hint of consistency, how can the players be consistent? Horrible job of coaching this year and I hope he gets fired.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed: F

To score 12, 12.5 points a game with the way DET features him on offense is embarrassing. He is the albatross around the Pistons neck and they need to get rid of him and replace him with someone who'll play both sides of the court, bang inside, not shoot jumpers all game and get them some points in the paint like Chris Bosh. He led the league in techs and disrespects the coach also.

Rodney Stuckey: A

I'm not sure you can expect anymore out of a rookie than what Stuck gave them. He ruined a nights sleep for a lot of opponents this year with his ability to get inside and finish and create shots for his team mates.

Tay Prince: A-

What more can you say about a guy who blankets all the tough SF and SG in the league while crisply running the offense and creating mis-matches all over the place? He's a great passer also and a coach on the floor.

Rip: A+

Here is a guy who can hold his head up high. He is the anti-Sheed. Scoring 18-19 points a game without having hardly any plays run for him makes Rip stand out as a pillar which the Pistons can build upon. You watch a game like yesterday's against the Cavs and can only help but think what he could do if they featured him on offense? A physical 2 with a killer handle, it doesn't get much better than that.

Curry: D+

Would have been an F but I figured Sheed probably hamstrung him quite a bit. That aside, what other coach couldn't win with a young 6'5 PF and young 6'9 C on the team?
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Coach: Did it his way but disappointed the vast majority of fans.
    Now give all my scores a .333 [+/-] increase due to the scatter shot rotations/coaching.
    Joe Dumars: grade B, I'm down with his vision for at least one more year.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

:pound::pound::pound:
    :pound::pound::pound:
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey: B-
    He had his moments and he had his issues. He was under a lot of pressure and I'm sure he felt awkward when one of the starting G spots was handed over to him on a silver platter while the two all-stars pouted about the other.

Rip: C+
    He did what he was supposed to despite not handling "the change" very well. I wish he had shown more leadership and consistency though.

Prince: C-
    I would've given Prince an "A". He has been thrust into uncomfortable situations, was unbeleivably overworked and still did what he was asked to do. But, at the end of the day, he wasn't the player he could be and I just can't get over the hold-the-ball-in-your-left-hand-for-10-seconds-before-you-start-posting-up-from-the-3-point-line business.

Sheed: D-
    Aside from getting technicals, he didn't accomplish much this year. The team needed his leadership bad and he didn't provide it.

Dice: B
    He was the Piston that had the most will to win. Curry misused him.

Iverson: F
    He didn't help the Pistons. He never wanted to play here. I still would've given him at least a C for the effort and the fact that Curry mismanaged the roster. But his Paris Hilton act after being benched earns him an F.

Curry: F
    He simply failed. Yes, he was a rookie coach that was handed a tough roster to manage. But, he also had the rare luxury of a GM that was 100% behind him; something few rookie coached had this year. But, he could not read the game, could not make adjustments, could not decide on a roster, etc etc.

Bench Overall: C
    Sometimes they stepped up. Sometimes they didn't. So they get the average.

Bynum: B
    Without him, we wouldn't be in the playoffs. Maybe that should earn him an F? Damn him! The pain would've been over by now!

Afflalo: C+
    The dude's got potential and he really has a positive impact on the game even when he doesn't score much. I would like him to get more PT next year.

Herrmann: C-
    He can play a role in this team, but Curry overused him at times. Putting him on the floor at the same time with Prince was a disaster.

Kwame: B-
    He is one Piston that exceeded all expectations this year. He should be our regular starting center at this point.

JMax: D
    Everytime he plays, he gets at least one highlight reel dunk. But, he is undersized, he doesn't box out and he doesn't produce as much as needed.

Amir: D
    He was given opportunities and he just didn't use them. In his current state, he is not the answer. He could be coached into the PF spot, but he still needs a lot of work.

Sharpe: N/A

Fans: A+
    :)
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The fans will always get an A+... we are the greatest fanbase in sports.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Morgue will be rocking come Friday night! It will resemble a seniors center.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Good post, Walter..I wouldn't give the fans their A+ though. Only people with 600 or more posts...:MusicBigGrin:
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Fair enough. But I think we should draw the line around 335 posts. :wink:
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star