HQ'S ANNUAL SEASON ENDING GRADES

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Apr 18, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's not bad, but it is McCosky, so you have to take the speculation on Dice, Tay and Rip with a grain of salt.

I have to agree with him though, the days of Sheed are probably at an end.

Who woulda thought last September that we'd be sitting here today calling everyone except Afflalo and Stuckey expendable.

Also, the sleepy Sharpe stuff should have been reported during the season.
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

On Sharpe: i knew that from his stint down here in SEC/ACC country, but I didnt know bout the missed flights and practices. Typical McChrisky!!

But Wave, this is why I get on posters for just writing about what they see in games. Off the court and during the week is JUST as important. If someone aint playing (Amir) it's some other GOOD reasons for it. Coaches dont TRY to lose, but a 24 yr old aint showing me up either.
  3. roscoe36

I know. It's just that we all have different levels of interest, involvement and understanding. You're old skool. A lot of folks are new skool. Some are even no skool, with the odd fool skool for good measure.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I consider myself in the demented skool camp.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, according to that article, the only returning players for next year will be:

Stuckey
    Afflalo
    Rip (but not for sure)
    Maxiell (but not for sure)
    Kwame (but not for sure)

Bynum off the bench

???

Seems like he's overshooting a bit.

I can't believe they drafted a guy with a sleeping problem and then benched him all year because of his sleeping problem... and not want to drop him because of that same issue. Very Lions-esque.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons will go to great lengths to deny Sammy Meija a roster spot.
  7. roscoe36

I don't see how if they lose Walt, they can afford to be without Sammy Mejia.

Besides, if Mejia makes the roster, then it's a no-brainer that Lee will resume his leecap duties.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Amir Johnson
    Contract: Through 2009-10 ($3.66 million next season)
    Comment: He was handed the starting power forward position at the start of the season, and he couldn't hang on to it. He continues to make the same mistakes -- silly fouls, mental lapses -- and he still isn't strong enough to hold his position most nights on the block. Time to face facts, this is an end of the bench role player, one who might be used in a trade this summer.
    Future: Likely gone
    -
    Say it aint so.
    -
    With Curry as coach how can anything be developed ?
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You know, I like the guys they are keeping (according to McCoskey) and would look forward to the new era if he's right. Rip's OK. Better than keeping some of the others.

Too bad about Amir, and I hope Dice finds the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. He certainly earned my respect.

But the bottom line is you gotta dump the coach too.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I hope Sheed also finds his pot.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's probably in a plastic baggie under his couch.
  12. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

SF - Tayshaun Prince = D+
    Sure Tay had as good a season statistically as he's had every other year but his complete disappearance in the playoffs (3.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.3 apg & 0 bpg??) in inexcusable. He's in the prime of his career and content with being average.

PF - Antonio McDyess = A
    Dyess earns an A in my book strictly on effort and heart. The man asked out of Denver to come back to Motown because he believed this was the place for him. For his time with the Pistons he's the ONLY player that has consistantly gone to work. My only wish is for him to sign on with a contender next year and get that ring he so very much deserves.

C - Rasheed Wallace = D-
    Is Sheed the only one who doesn't realize his act ain't cute anymore? Getting suspended for too many Ts might have been tolerable when he could take over games but he ain't DAT DUDE no mo. Sure his regular season numbers were closely in line with the rest of his Pistons career but the Sheed show has run it's course. Thank god he's in the last year of his deal.

SG - Richard Hamilton = C-
    From his one dimensional game to his cryin' about the possibility of not starting Rip had a forgettable season. He makes a good complimentary role player when surrounded by others who possess the skills he so sorely lacks but without those around him he is exposed as the streaky shooting, olay defense playing, every call crying.............you get the point. If he's here next year he needs to do one thing, shut up and play.

PG - Rodney Stuckey = B-
    I seem to be one of the few who think Stuck just needs time to season and build on the raw talent he has. He isn't a PG (at least at this point in his career) so you gotta cut him some slack there. He had big shoes to fill and for a second year guy he adjusted pretty well when handed the reigns. As we should have learned from his predescessor some players just need a little time to come around.

Bench - Max, Blaylock, Amir, Afflalo, Fabio, Kwame, Sharpe = B
    This crew did pretty solid when they were called upon. Never knowing who was going to play and how many minutes is tough but they handled it pretty well. If given the option I would bring most of them back.

Coach Curry = D-
    I think he did the best he could with the hand he was given which is why he didn't get the F-bomb. However, I think it's pretty evident he isn't an NBA caliber coach. Jr. High? Maybe. It'd be a good start then we'll see.

I decided to leave AI off because he didn't do enough in my mind to even be considered a Piston. Word.
  13. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

DAMN! Gotta re-hide the stash! Thanks for blowin up my spot, Darth!
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My version - based on the Cavs series...

Stuckey - Shot 39%, didn't hit a three, decent assists and turnovers
    Still struggles to guard anyone & his offense disappears if you lay off and force the jumper. Keep him I guess, unless you can get a decent PG in trade.
    Grade: C

Hamilton - somehow manages to shoot 36%, 20% from the arc
    I am so over Rip. Didn't care, didn't try, didn't make anyone else better. The possibility that the injury was still bothering him is the only thing that saves the F.
    Grade: D-

Prince - somehow manages to shoot worse than Rip - 26%, 20% from three
    Exactly why he was playing is hard to understand. Kander said he couldn't hurt his back any more and just had to play through it. Whatever. He didn't, and everyone in the world could see he was making things worse rather than better. Oh, except for Curry, who couldn't figure it out.

McDyess - 52% shooting, 8.5 boards
    The only bright spot in the dismal series, the only guy who played like he wanted to be there. If we've seen his last game in a Pistons uniform, he did us proud.
    Grade: A

Wallace - 39% shooting, 50% from three, 6.5 boards, but only one block and two steals
    If the calf was that limiting, why was he playing? If his motivation was that low, why was he playing? Like Rip & Tay, was the worse for being on the floor.

Does anyone else matter? The starters played 70% of the minutes.

Bynum? - tried to do his best Iverson impression and still managed to shoot 46%. Obviously, if the team expects Will to bail them out things have gotten pretty bad. He could be a change of pace backup point worth 15 minutes a game.
    Grade: C

Kwame? - did his best and at least seemed awake. Couldn't hit a shot, but boarded and laid some nice wood onto the Cavs.
    Grade: B

Max? - shot well, but only on ten attempts, but weak on the boards and didn't do much else
    Grade: D

Affalo - shot 48% but couldn't hit a three or a free throw to save his life. Only managed to outrebound Herrmann, but played some hard D when given the chance.
    Grade: B

Johnson & Herrmann - NA