Humility is the only certain defense against humiliation

Discussion in 'Pistons and Basketball Articles' started by roscoe36, May 18, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's a sick feeling watching something wonderful come to an end. Even worse when it comes earlier than expected.

The Pistons have just finished dropping two close games against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Three more points in either game would have us all singing a different tune.

Six total points altering phrases like
    • "Fire Flip!"
    • "Can we get Kevin Garnett?"
    • "Don't re-sign Ben!"
    into
    • "Detroit Basketball!"
    • "Championship caliber clutch play!"
    • "Why we played for home court advantage"
    This is what the playoffs are all about. When mistakes are magnified. Where one missed free throw, one turnover, one timeout can swing momentum, gain or lose a game.

That momentum is a funny thing. It builds. It takes on a life of it's own. The Cavaliers have that right now. The fragile momentum that wins games, exceeding even the hype and expectations for LeBron James.

Watching the Pistons play the last 3-1/2 games has been a lesson that no matter how high we get with chants of MVP MVP MVP, or how special it is to have four All-Stars, nothing tastes so sweet or bitter as playoff performances.

The emotional highs and lows of every free throw, each turnover with relief coming during timeouts and commercial breaks.

You see, "Play the Right Way" is really coach-speak for "Approach everything the way you live your life. With dignity, fellowship and enthusiasm.". It's not just a catchphrase, it's who we aspire to be.

We thrived as fans and a franchise by being the underdogs. It reflects the blue collar, hardened northener mentality of the Detroit area. We aren't favored, but we won't give up without a fight. We aren't the best and brightest, but we'll take on any job and do it well. We do it because it must be done. We live here because it's one of the oldest settled areas in North America and no amount of sunshine can tear up our roots. Even international fans are thrilled and intrigued by the romanticism of Detroit and it's athletes.

And that is what makes the recent 3 losses to the Cavaliers all that much more distressing. These players are not the ones we fell in love with. They have a false bravado that reeks of passionless individualism and self promotion.

Deep down, I'm disheartened by this group. They could still pull this out and maybe even contend for a championship this season, but as my friend LanierFan wrote earlier today, "...just wondering where that Detroit team I used to like so much has gone off to. Because I don't like these guys very much, even when they win."

I want the no name players that we became enamored with. The ones who drank Gatorade from a Thermos and shocked the world. The fellas who toiled in the obscurity of the practice facility.

Where are the Goin' To Work Pistons?

We are all looking for you.

The largest missing persons hunt in the history of sports fandom.

Do you remember who you are?

Let's pray the amnesia is not permanent.

2. max

max All-Star

I have to admit that for the 1st time I have missed LB. Thought even crossed my mind of getting him back when I read that he may be fired in NY. Never happen though with Davison.

That was yesterday. Lets give Flip a chance. I know we will beat the Cavs and after that Flip and the Pistons can choose their own fate.

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

After reading your post I looked up the word humility. One definition is; lack of false pride, disposition to be humble. There it is! Everything that the Pistons are not at the moment - from Sheed`s guarantee to the nonchalant attitude.

I also looked up humiliation, definitions are; state of disgrace, or loss of self respect, also; strong feeling of embarassment. This is where they are headed if this play and lack of humilty continues.

The Pistons need to maintain the swagger of a championship, playoff tested team, however, in a humble state of mind.

4. roscoe36

A lot less complaining. A lot less whining. And despite LeBron's amazing ability to push off (what used to be an offensive foul) on every drive, they overcame.

I loved seeing CBill coated in sweat and he hadn't made a field goal yet. Even MVPs gotta work.

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

waaaah wahhwahhhw ahhh! The reason I left the chat room is cause people decided it was joking time instead of 'winning time'!!! we win and lose AS A TEAM!!!

6. roscoe36

You are the OT (off topic) grand master!

SNL skits! :P

LUV YA HQ.

7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i KNOW...heehehehee..u know me!

8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Pal you aren't the only one. I've been noticing our lack of anything good from Flip that we used to count on from LB4LB. Scoring out of offensive time outs seems to have become a thing of the past.

Once we put the Cavs outta OUR misery I can only hope the pressure causes something to illuminate inside Flip, putting him on par with the competition.

9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

With all of that said the first thing I looked for tonight in each Stone was the desire to accept the challenge with confidence to succeed.