[HVC] Pregame Fuel, Postgame Fire : WDFN’s Matt “The Diesel” Dery

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Dec 21, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Pregame Fuel, Postgame Fire : WDFN’s Matt “The Diesel” Dery
    Written by pf.com on Thursday, December 21, 2006

Matt Dery is the Sports Director at WDFN 1130 AM, the Detroit Pistons’ flagship radio station. The 33 year old Pepper Pike Ohio native and Syracuse University graduate has been with WDFN for 10 years after working for WHK Radio in Cleveland.

Matt has been the radio voice of the University of Detroit Mercy Titans for the past 9 years and is a die-hard Cleveland Indians fan.

The first time I emailed Matt was during the opening round of the 2006 Playoffs. The Pistons were playing the Milwaukee Bucks and had just lost Game 3 on the road prompting me to fire off a frustrated email to what sounded like a sympathetic voice on my portable radio. Since that time, we’ve traded post game correspondence which lead to my request for an interview.

“The Diesel” accepted, answering questions about himself, his career and the Pistons.

(Click here to continue reading)
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thought I would mention that Matt is really good about taking "smart" listener calls and he knows his ball, so if you ever want to contact him during the postgame you can phone or email. You can find his email addy on his profile page at WDFN.

http://wdfn.com/pages/mattdery.html

Just above the Bio information, midway down on the left hand side. Let him know you are from PF.com. He knows who we are. :)
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i used to listen to Joe Tait and 3WE(WWWE) back when the Pistons played at Cobo Hall. At night, you could get WWWe very clearly and I used to get a kick out of Joe T's calls. When I would play bball with my nerf hoop in the day, Joe T was the announcer that called the game. You know , like" here comes Greg down the court.stops head of the key...fiddling/diddling..takes it to the elbow, pulls from 15...swish!...Greg with 17..cavs down 2". There was no fluctuation and he only got excited on excitable plays. I knew that Cavs team so well I could give u how Joe would present Pistons vs Cavs............

Here's the lineup for the Pistons;
    Forward..Curtis Rowe 6-5 ucla
    other forward ..6-5 Syracuse Don Adams
    center 6-11 St Bonaventure Bob Lanier number 16
    One Guard Syracuse Dave Bing 6-2
    other Guard Chris Ford 6-4 Villonova
    for the Cavs
    Campy Russell 6'8 Michigan
    other Forward Jim Brewer 6-7 minnesota
    center number22 Jim Chones 6-10 Marquette
    The guards 34 from NotreDame austin Carr 6-1
    and 6-3 Depaul Jimmy Cleamons.......

all said without a single inflection..it was priceless...my favorite Cav was Bing-GOOO Smith!..now thats why they call me "OLD SKOOL!!!!!!"