[HVC] SOUR NOTE: Thank You Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 14, 2007.

1. rpmfla

rpmfla Second Round Draft Pick

Rip is the biggest enigma to me. All of the other players seem to have gotten a lot of credit and blame in the press and forums for the Pistons success and failure. Rip has been our primary, and arguably most consistent, scorer for years now, but he always seems like he lays low when it comes to accolades or derision (except for one guy over at the worldcrossing pistons forum who never stops comparing stack with rip...with a lot of hatred for rip).

He didn't have a great series against Cleveland, and really seemed like the usual constant motion coming off screens to pop a midrange jumper was not used much at all. I don't know if Cleveland concentrated on taking that away or what, but he did have a pretty quiet series.

A question about Rip and other Pistons players...

Which players do you think will come back and play better next season, which players have maxed out and will not improve, which ones are on the way down as fr as production, and which ones (if any) will have a breakout season? My take:

CBill- He may have already reached his peak and is sliding down the other side, but his style of play (not relying on athleticism and speed) should allow him to maintain a high level of play for several more years.

Rip- I hope that Rip is still on the way up and can improve his game as he has in each season with the Pistons. He really needs to work on his ball handling and I don't know if he is much of a slasher, but he did improve his long distance shooting last year which shows he has the drive to work on his game.

Tayshaun- I think he is pretty much maxed out his talent. previous to this season, I wouldn't have said that, but I just think his physical stature will always hold him back to an extent. He is long and athletic, and has a good overall game, but he can't play many minutes and handle it physically, yet he doesn't seem to play well unless he gets a lot of minutes. His main improvement to me would be to not disappear if he doesn't get positive results early on in games. I noticed he fades away if he is not scoring early. He is maybe my favorite starter, and a very good player, but I don't think he has potential to do more than he already is. I hope I'm wrong.

Sheed- It goes without saying that Sheed is on the downside of his career, but he is so gifted that he still has a lot to give the Pistons (or any team). He was the best Piston in the playoffs and he earned my respect for that. As everyone knows, the Pistons wanted him to stay down on the blocks more this season, and he did t some extent. He also stepped up his defense, trying to make up for the loss of Ben. He may be on the downside of his career, but if he has his mind straight, he is still probably the most talented Piston.

Chris Webber- He is at the end of his career, obviously, but he could still provide a lot to a team if he accepts a more limited role. Whether that is with the Pistons is a question he and Joe D will discuss soon. It did seem like he was unhappy with his playing time in the playoffs, but he really played well when he first came over.

Dice- He is running on heart and desire, as his physical skills are no longer what caries him on the court. He is such a quality player and person, I can't help hoping he achieves his dream of an NBA title. he may not be what he once was due to injuries and age, but he still "brings it" when he comes in the game. Even if he isn't hitting his jumpers, he provides rebounding and effort.

Max- obviously he is on the way up. How far up is a very intriguing question none of us can answer yet. The best possible result is that he works on his offensive game, learning when to force the action and when to kick it out for an open jumper. Best case scenario...Ben Wallace with more offensive skills. That one game in the playoffs where he was hitting jumpers, slamming it home, blocking shots, stealing the ball, etc., really suggests he could be better than some expected. His lack of height will be an issue until he shows he can defend the PFs in this league and rebound on a more consistent basis.

Delfino- I fall into the camp of Delfino supporters who think he just needs consistent minutes to evolve into a Ginobili type player in this league. He is fast, he can shoot, he can attack, he is an excellent defender, and he can handle. I really think he just needs playing time to bring out the confidence and quality of his play. I may be looking at him through rose colored glasses because I want him to succeed, but if he is still here next season and gets more PT, I think he will provide some of what the Pistons need.

whew! I'm worn out for now! anyone else want to comment or complete the list of other players (i.e. Amir)?
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Regarding Rip's curls. I believe that for some reason Pistons went away from that. Maybe it is because of Flip's playbook not accomodating. Sometimes it looked like Flip was trying to fit the players into his system rather than find the best use for all the players. Nobody ever was able to stop the curl ever since Pistons installed it as one of their plays. And I don't think that Cavs figured a way to stop it. Curl requires crisp ball movement and it wasn't present in the entire series.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The thing about the Curl plays is that it was a form of off the ball P&R.

It was also pit Rip's conditioning and endurance against his defender, a battle he will usually win.

I don't miss it per se, I just think it was a dominating part of Rip's offense (best mid range shooter, when was the last time someone other than Doug Collins said that about him?) and it was a strength we played to.

But that was when we ran boring sets until the other team could stop us. Now we just take what the defense gives. The difference between passive and aggressive play.